1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why cord cutting is no different than getting sattelite and the breathless way people bought it

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Feb 11, 2017.

1. what

what Member

The original idea behind cord cutting was to un-bundle your service from all the channels you don't want and only pay for what you watch.

The genius of cable companies is that they made everybody believe that this was a reality. Why cord cutting is the same as a cable subscription service is that while you are busy unbundling your services with cable, you then are faced with signing up for another bundle, lol. A streaming bundle. I would love for somebody who thinks cord cutting is the best thing since slice bread to explain how buying a 20 dollar subscription to sling isn't the same thing as buying a subscription with a cable company.

Call me when I can buy espn AND only espn, without paying 20 dollars for all the other channels I don't want. You think you are cord cutting and all you are doing is getting another subscription service with channels you don't want, and paying 4 times premium for a channel espn that would normally only cost you 5 bucks at the most.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Your replies in the other thread were enough

3. what

what Member

You're probably right, but I wanted to make an overarching statement about it and I didn't want to turn the other thread into my own personal soapbox.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I just use my grandparents xfinity password to watch on the app... combine that with a $9 Netflix subscription and I have more entertainment than I know what to do with

5. what

what Member

Netflix and hulu are great.

6. body slam

body slam Member

For me the original idea for cord cutting was to save money. Well when I originally cut the cord I was paying almost $100 a month. For the next 6 years all I had that I paid for was Netflix. I could pick up 2 TV channels with rabbit ears. As of now I have added Sling for TWD but will cancel when season ends. Then most likely pick up HBO now for GoT and cancel when the season ends. That's what I did last year and it worked out well.

7. what

what Member

You are doing real well. All I really pay for myself is hulu and league pass. I am probably will pick up sling or something else when the nba playoffs starts.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You can't buy a 20 dollar subscription from a cable company so there's your difference.

grt004 and DonnyMost like this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

When you cut the cable part they just jack up the internet price. They own the cords no real way to cut it.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

True but as others have posted, it seems to save folks quite a bit of money one way or the other. No real way to cut it but if it's a cheaper alternative, not sure what to get all up in arms over it.

11. DreamRoxCoogFan

technically, if you're streaming sling over wifi, there is no cord so.... face.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wish there was more competitive internet providers.

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

I agree with OP - Cord cutting really just results in slicing up your content into several different providers and delivery methods. I would be surprised if much actual money is saved when it comes down to it. Eventually I think we will see content providers linked directly to consumers via a commodity style delivery method (wired or wireless), which would render the traditional "packaging services" obsolete. So you will get only the content you want, but not necessarily cheaper.....

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

ESPN would cost you more than $5.
    Except you can't get Netflix/Hulu/Amazon through your traditional cable/satellite carriers. There is no slicing and dicing.

Wire or wireless is an irrelevant term. The proper term is Over The Top (OTT) programming or through traditional carriers such as satellite or cable.

The reality is OTT programming is crushing standard carriers. Now that HBO is now offering OTT services, traditional carriers are hanging onto the sports networks.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. davo

davo Contributing Member

Fair point, although arguably you could get most of the hulu & Netflix content via traditional cable - either on demand or via movie packages etc. (the obvious exception being original content from Netflix & Amazon but that is not really a cord cutting issue).

I would say wire and wireless is very relevant - at the moment, content owners/providers have three* basic physical ways of reaching customers - 1) fixed "traditional cable", 2) broadband/wired internet to the home, and 3) wireless broadband. The distinction is important, because it provides multiple transmission methods for content owners that are not owned by the same company.

I think OTT is the redundant concept - the lines between OTT and traditional are getting blurrier by the day - my simplified way of viewing it is just content providers linked to buyers via some transmission medium. Its not cord cutting, its just repackaging your content, which is why in the long run, the content owners will probably be the winners, and the "packagers" will be the losers and consumers will get more control.

The packagers will fight hard - vertical & horizontal integration for example, but ultimately I think they are doomed.

(*edit: 4 ways if you include satellite)

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Going outside outside and exploring the world is cool sometimes also.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Me each month before cordcutting:
    DirecTV: $90+
    Netflix: $12.99
    Internet: $80

Total: $180+

Each month after cutting:
    PS Vue: $54.99, includes HBO/Showtime and will be back down to $34.99 after Homeland and GoT.
    Netflix: $12.99
    Internet: $80

Savings of $35-$55+ each month.

grt004 likes this.
  18. what

what Member

You can get directtv a lot cheaper than 90 dollars. Especially if you are willing to scale down as you are on ps vue. So you aren't saving any money, you just scaled down. Especially with directtv discounts they offer, and also you can get 4k included.

So 4k plus better picture quality, root sports, all for the extra cost of maybe 20 bucks a month more. No savings, just losing the ability to watch the rockets and the astros in 4k.

Plus, including the internet in the before, (you don't really need that to watch directtv) that was a preference. However with streaming, you have to have it.

#18 what, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Are you one of those guys that walks around Best Buy or Costco hassling everyone about signing up for DirecTV?

My favorite thing about cutting the cord, besides not being on the hook for an extra $30-$50 per month, is that I don't have to call ATT/Directv every 6 or 12 months and sit on hold for 30 minutes trying to get my bill back to the promotional price that they started me at.

Pen15clubber and grt004 like this.
  20. what

what Member

Not really, I'm not even a subscriber. But my reasoning for cord cutting as I said was that I prefer to always be connected to the internet, and other than live sports, I hate live tv with a passion.

Tvs are obsolete for me, and I'd rather watch everything on a top notch monitor.