1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I might get roasted for this, but...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JMAD21, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Ya I don't like him tbh. I like his enthusiasm but I hate it when he makes a general statement about a player on the other team that's sounds like a person on Facebook commenting on an ESPN article

2. bushies

bushies Member

Bill makes enough mistakes to make me think age is catching up with him. Craig is also less of a blatant homer when it comes to questionable foul calls (but still a homer). No disrespect, he's been a staple for so long, but imo Craig is better informed and wittier most of the time. The away games are better just by virtue of no Clyde (who, to be fair, is better this year... maybe he's more likable because we're winning?).

3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

That is his best line. I think of p*rn every time he says it.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

everyone is fair game for criticism, even the owner.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Totally dig Ackerman, I like his passion, I worried he'd tone it down too much when he made the jump from radio.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

maybe its because you get to listen to him less

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

He's been okay. Definitely not great. He doesn't bother me in any way but he doesn't make me proud to be a Rockets fan like Bill did at his best.

I do enjoy what a dork he is sometimes, like his constant stream of Ric Flair references last night.

DudeWah and RudyTBag like this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has huge shoes to fill, because Bill is the best. So far he has been okay.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I have some nostalgic appreciation for Bill Worrell and I find Bullard the least annoying of our announcers but Drexler drives me crazy, Ackerman tries too hard, Worrell has lost some of his snap, and even Bull is annoying when he gets on some recurring joke like the months-long, nails-on-a-chalkboard, use of "huffort."

But as much as I loved Calvin Murphy as a player he drove me crazier than anyone on the mic and made me listen to Gene Peterson with the TV sound down instead. He was so constantly joking about cookies or other food or his singing voice and Worrell went along with it and whole plays would go uncalled because they were so into their little not-funny comedy routine.

I've really never been happy with our announcers but Ackerman is definitely grating. And I really do think he's trying too hard.

Tha_Dude and heypartner like this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Bold statement but no, he's the goat of radio broadcasting.

12. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't find him to be annoying but he's incredibly vanilla in comparison to the colorful commentary that Worrell throws out there. I'm going to miss Bill when he's gone, for sure. :(

Patience and Richie_Rich like this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I like Craig on the radio. I never thought I'd like him doing the tv broadcast.

I just don't think he has the TV personality to carry the team like Bill does.

Richie_Rich and Tha_Dude like this.
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Little Bit likes this.
  15. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like Craig. The problem I see with him is he's kind of a play by play and color guy in one....doesn't leave a lot of room for others to contribute. That works on the radio, but I'm not sure it will on TV.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont mind him but last night he said some long drawn out prepared line after a Harden bucket that sounded cheesy and forced. I think he is growing on some people though like a song on the radio that you dont like at first.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

is this your homework larry?....is this your homework larry?

CK Johnson likes this.
  18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, I honestly cringed at that last night. I was like... really???

As others have rightly said, he tries too damn hard and somewhat lacks personality. He seems like a geniunely good guy, and I appreciate his passion, but he needs seasoning. There's something about his delivery that's rather thin and cliche.

Guess I'm just used to the natural depth and complexity of Bill in his prime. More importantly, Bill knew how to leave room for Calvin to color his commentary. Win or lose, I always enjoyed their broadcasts together.

I'll miss Bill when he's gone.

Yung-T, kubli9 and Astrodome like this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

I don't hate him but he was down right awful last night. I thought I was the only one that noticed

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

His emotions are always connected to the score or the momentum of the game. I hate that. He needs to hit the highs but don't ever get too low. Stay positive and call the game even in the worst times.