1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Kobe Bryant come to the Rockets next season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kingpinmaster, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Bobliu, Kobe can be had for Francis. There is not many teams in the league that could beat that offer.

If Im Les Alexander I'm all over this. I put Carrol Dawson on the stakeout, have him look into this, let the Lakers know im intrested if Kobe wants out of LA. Why? because Kobe puts fans in seats something Steve and Yao have not been able to do. With Kobe -those posh suites will not look like old desolated victorian english theatre balconies. With Kobe - asses our in the seats. WIth Kobe - my pockets are getting fatter. With Kobe - the odds are not stacked against the Rockets to make the playoffs.

2. aries323

aries323 Member

In my humble opionion... TMac = Kobe < Paul Pierce < AI (when he passes and doesn't jack up 25-30 shots a night he can be a playmaker.

3. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

No, verse, TMac is not as good as Kobe on the defensive end. TMac can never guard a point guard on a regular basis. It has been Kobe's job during the three championship years. This year, Kobe is returning to his regular responsibility: guarding opponent's PG after one season of absence in that position.

In addition, TMac has a lot of small injuries that will be big when he gets older. You would not want someone who could be playing only half a season when he is 29 year old, would you?

TMac has better physical build-up for a basketball player though., taller and more athletic than Kobe.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

i'd like to see TMac play defense with a 350lb. goalie behind him. i'm sure it'd make things easier on him. then, you might see him playing intense level defense. wouldn't you agree?

as for the injuries, you're right. his back will more than likely be a problem. that said, i still think he's better than kobe.

5. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Just curious if that was you that just got banned from lakersground.:D

6. Remix

Remix Member

Just imagine all the #8 jerseys you would see around Houston.

7. stab

stab Member

I would love to see Kobe play in LA for the Clips. More drama and verbal jabs galore. But Sterling already paid out quite a bit(by his standards) for Brand and Magette, but neither have the star power and the ability that Kobe has. And lest we forget, he is still in his mid 20's.

Or what if he decided to go back home to Philly? AI will finally have help. But will he be willing to give up the rock? That may be pushing it, but it is very intriguing.

But, it think we need to wait until mid-season to find out where the Lakers/Shaq and Kobe stand.

8. trungvo

trungvo Member

If Kobe ever comes here, Yao would never get the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. bonr13

bonr13 Member

NO! Kobe is a ballhog and therefore will slow or even halt the progress of Yao, SF, and other young rockets players, eventually resulting in the crumbling of the rockets

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

kingpinmaster make like a 7 - 10 and split.

11. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

jordan overrated????... holly crap, ever watch mike in he's prime. i suggest you get a copy of the game where jordan dropped 63 on boston in the playoffs in the late 80'S. OR IN THE 92 FINALS AGAINST THE BLAZERS, the guy was a freak

12. f33lsogood

f33lsogood Member

Kobizzie should sign with the Clippers so he'll still be in L.A. ..

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Oh boy...a bowling reference.
    wonder how many here got that on first glance?

and btw, I have picked up a 7-10 split..:cool:

You aint just whistlin dixie brutha...:D
    judging by her posts that I see in others post quotes...I aint missing a thing.

14. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Gosh, you know my 14 year old neighbor had about the same arguement for Kobe. In fact when the whole O.J. thing went down, I swore he was innocent. Some guys get a power trip off of it. I KNOW FOR A FACT I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED!!!

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Kobe was traded to the Rockets for Francis the Rockets and Lakers would instantly have the greatest rivalry in basketball. It would be so entertaining because of all the subplots and side-stories.

The only way I could see the rockets trying to do a S&T for Kobe would be if the JVG and Francis relationship just does not work out. I, however, think it will.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Today's LA Times mentions that someone in Kobe's management team was overheard telling Mike Dunleavy to "leave cap space open." Everyone thought Dunleavy was crazy to take that gig, but maybe he knew something the rest of us didn't.

Kobe
    Brand
    Magette

Not a bad nucleus to build a team around.

17. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

To get Kobe, the Rockets would have to move Taylor, Cato, and Mobley before the trading deadline this year for expiring contracts. That might clear enough space. No reason to trade for him with the Lakers, if he is going to opt out at the end of the season anyway. I'm not sure if the Lakers would consider a sign and trade, thinking they might be able to convince him to stay if they win another title together. But it sounds like he want to stay on the west coast. If he went to the Knicks, they would immediately become Eastern Conference favorites.

18. UHcat

UHcat Member

I just read the first page of this thread...and wonder why ppl dun think of San Antonio on this one. I think they could be the frontrunner for kobe for two reasons: 1) Chance to win: Duncan+kobe+parker = championship 2) Those smart dudes in SA's management will find ways to get kobe the money he wants if they want him.

19. craziaries

craziaries Member

I have no idea. But hey, if he wants to come....far be it from me to stop him. I'll buy his plane ticket. He can stay at my house. ;)

20. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member