1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Applying for defensive driving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by zlicciardo, Jan 22, 2017.

1. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

I did not realize that it took up to 10 days to receive the receipt and order to take the driving course. My ticket is due in a few days, so I am not sure that the receipt would come in on time. If I request it today, would it be dated as the 22nd and I will be able to take the course even after the court date? Thanks for any help, my court date is the 24th if that helps at all.

2. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Show up for your court date and tell them you want to take defensive driving. You will have to pay a fine then you will have 90 days to complete the defensive driving course.

You also may be able to do all of this online and not show up for your court date.

3. zlicciardo

zlicciardo Member

Thanks, no one else?

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I mailed my request to take defensive driving 3 days before my court date. I actually received a warrant notice in the mail for failure to appear, but when I called my request was accepted.

You can also make your defensive driving request in person before your court date at any municipal Court location.
    https://www.houstontx.gov/courts/locations.html

zlicciardo likes this.
  5. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

It should say on your ticket, but the court will typically accept your paperwork as long as it is postmarked before your court date. As was mentioned, you should go to the court's website and see if you can submit it electronically.

You should also be able to do defensive driving online and e-file. ExpressLane is geared toward Texas, and covers a lot of the courts. It will also let you e-file your driving record, which the court requires as well.

zlicciardo likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

i fled the country years ago due to this exact reason

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Show up to court in shorts and tank top and make sure you're seen. They'll reschedule you and tell you to dress like a non-jabroni when you show up. Seriously.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member