1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rox react to Griffin's meltdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Oct 27, 2003.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Francis hasn't given up on him, looking at Mo'Taylor's comments though it looks like he has lost patioence with Griffin.

I don't blame him, Mo is working hard every day like he did all summer and desperately wants to play but can't; Eddie, meanwhile, has been offered every opportunity to play but can't be bothered to show up and is busy wrecking his life in the mean time.

Oct. 27, 2003, 12:05AM

Rockets try to stay focused amid Griffin situation
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets likely knew part of their lives had changed before a television news cameraman walked onto their private gym floor Sunday in the middle of one of their always locked-tight practices.

This was a spotlight they surely saw coming, even if its timing was a surprise. But their improved play or fast-approaching season had been eclipsed by stunning and confusing news about gunshots at the home of suspended teammate Eddie Griffin and an accusation he had beaten a woman there. They had become front-page news again but for reasons that could only leave them confused or concerned.

"You always have setbacks," Rockets guard Steve Francis said. "Look at the Lakers. Everybody is human. Everything isn't going to go smooth. That's what change is about. Overall, we've adjusted to everything, whether it's the coaching situation or the situation with Eddie. We'll get through it.

"We've got to take it day-by-day. As a captain of this team, that's what I'm going to do, support him 100 percent. If his back is up against the wall, my back is up against the wall with him."

Francis said he has spoken to Griffin, 21, but would not comment about their conversation. Instead, he repeatedly said Griffin has not been charged with any crime. The Lakers face an onslaught of scrutiny as Kobe Bryant faces a sexual assault trial; Griffin's situation has not led to an arrest warrant or charges.

"First of all I just want to say you can't say somebody is guilty of something you don't know about," Francis said. "Eddie hasn't been charged with anything. So as far as I'm concerned, it was just something that happened. We just have to deal with it."

Rockets players and coach Jeff Van Gundy said they did not know the details of the incident early Saturday morning at Griffin's home. But as if seeking a way to show their support, they were more open to talk about Griffin's troubles than when he was accused of nothing more serious than playing hooky.

Still, if the Rockets were hoping to offer even a subtle appeal for the public to withhold judgment, they also seemed certain such patience is unlikely.

"As far as image is concerned, people are going to think what they want to think," Rockets forward Maurice Taylor said. "It's sad that it happened with Eddie, but people are going to judge him anyway. It's on the front page of the newspaper, so there's not really anything he can do about that. Just get back and do the things he's capable of doing on the basketball court. It happened. People are going to think things about him.

"It's going to be a hard time for him for the next couple of weeks. I don't think it's anything he should be worried about. He should be worried about getting himself together before worrying about how he's looked at from the public."

Taylor went through similar scrutiny of public opinion when he was found in violation of the NBA's substance abuse policy in December 2001. He said then that he had used mar1juana. He has not had any public incidents since.

Griffin faces a mar1juana possession charge and had been suspended indefinitely from the team for missing the team's trip to Sacramento and several practices.

"First of all it's an embarrassment," Taylor said. "When something like that happens, your business is all out on the street, and things you didn't want people to know come to light. But the thing about it, you can't just hold on to it.

"You have to admit you're wrong, do whatever it takes, in his case with a suspension, to get back on the court. Things happen. You don't want them to happen. You pray something like this doesn't happen. But it's just (about) how you deal with it."

The Rockets also have been forced to deal with it, days before their 2003-2004 season opener and their first regular-season game at Toyota Center.

"There's really nothing we can do but try to do our jobs and stay focused on trying to make Thursday a great day," Rockets president and chief executive officer George Postolos said. "The most important thing for us is these guys getting ready to play.

"It just illustrates how important it is for all of us to remain focused. I think Jeff has done a great job of trying to keep the team focused. Everybody else in our organization needs to do the same thing and stay focused on their jobs."

That could become more difficult as more information becomes public, especially if it leads to charges.

After Griffin was arrested last season, the Rockets had the worst offensive game in franchise history. They lost again the next night, to effectively end their postseason bid.

"I don't think it makes a difference what time of year it is, summertime, midseason, in season, it's always going to be a distraction," Rockets center Kelvin Cato said. "But we got to come in here and do our job and hope when he comes in here, he's going to be ready to play."

Though Griffin has not been at practice in two weeks, his absence this season serves as a reminder of the news the Rockets would rather, even if temporarily, forget.

"As a team, we're really just working our best to get ready for the season," Rockets center Yao Ming said. "Because of his absence -- we all care about him, he's our teammate -- we are, I would say, a little bit distracted.

"I've heard a little bit about the situation, but I'm not clear about what's going on. I hope he's OK and he can get back to the team quickly because the season is about to start. Another person makes us that much stronger."

Van Gundy said he has not spoken to Griffin and that he had not changed his thoughts about what Griffin must do to have his suspension lifted. Van Gundy never has provided details about that process, other than it starts with "coming to work."

Griffin skipped a scheduled workout Friday. Every game he misses costs Griffin $25,697.

"I see everything in that is up to Eddie," Van Gundy said. "I haven't changed my thought process. As concerned as I am with Eddie and his well-being, I'm more concerned right now with getting our team ready for Denver. I understand why (the media) are occupied with this story, yet I think you would understand why I'm not as occupied. I'm concerned with our catch-and-shoot defense against Denver.

"I think your jobs and our jobs are totally different," he said to the unusually large collection of media gathered for a Sunday practice. "Your focus obviously has to be on a situation like that. Our focus has to be on our team getting ready for Denver."

But he could send a wandering cameraman out of practice. Getting his team to forget why he was there might not have been so easy.

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

those comments by van gundy seem a little harsh....

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I believe last week it was reported that Van Gundy knows about griffins personal situation... then he talks about how he is more concerned with denver than eddie..

quotes like that make you wonder if there is any chance of eddie staying around on this team..

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

JVG and the Rockets gave Eddie a second chance work things out, even scheduling a practice for him. But when your player skips another scheduled practice and then is on the front page of the Chron for battery and attempted murder (pending), I'd be losing my patience too.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

JVG has got a point. I care bout eddie too, but i'm starting to get pissed with his antics.

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Harsh? WOW?

THat's called being professional my friend.

7. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

He reminds me of Shanahan...............and I like Shanahan.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

People seem to be reading a lot into the quotes.

Mo Taylor is referring to his own experience about getting busted for pot as context for what Eddie's going through. I don't feel he's being critical of Eddie at all, but rather speaking for him in a way.

We really need to know the question to put it in context, but I think Van Gundy is responding to questions about the team's focus amidst the distractions. Van Gundy seems to be saying that the team's job is to move on without Eddie and not let recent events distract them from playing basketball.

9. Miggidy Markell

I don't think he is pissed at all about Eddie's antics or the situation at this point, but rather pissed at the media for dragging the situation over and over with him and the team. Why else would he discuss their job differences? JVG is not going to hold a grudge against EG, mark my words, but he will not treat him with more care then the other players just because of his situation.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you set LOW EXPECTATIONS, you get LOW RESULTS....

I like what Van Gundy is doing....hold Eddie accountable, something that he has not had to do his whole life.

Well, there is a new sherriff in town and his name is Reggie Hamm......errrrr....Jeff Van Gundy !!

DD

11. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What do you want him to do?
    He has a point, there is nothing he can do right now as far as Eddie's situation is concerned, and he has a job to do. Would you like for the team to come out not prepared for the opener just because they spend more time worrying about Eddie than they do getting ready for the season?

Not me.

I want them to carry on with their jobs, which is to get ready to win.

the Eddie situation will work out on it's own, there is nothing they can do except let him know they are behind him.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

There is zero to complain about in Van Gundy's comments. His job is to win games. Eddie can't help in that until he gets his act together. Van Gundy has no control over Eddie getting his act together. So Van Gundy focuses on his job and what he can do.

The press wants the Rockets to ask about Eddie. Van Gundy says, I understand that's your job. Understand, in return, that my job is to focus on Denver.

That is EXACTLY what the coach should say.

13. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Thank god it didn't happen in the middle of season, they still have 4 days to become focused for the first game.

Eddie Griffin's professional attitude is unbelievable. When everyone in the team stay focused, work hard for the new season, he messed up again and again. He did that last season, he did it again. Rox didn't give him a second chance? Give me a break, they even didn't give him a suspension last year.

Looks like he should be traded to Portland, I am sorry to say that, he is becoming a cancer of our team.

14. Summer Song Giver

Those game checks Griff is so casually missing is about the amount some people earn in a year. He should be gtrateful and get his dumbass into camp, what a b****. F-him, cut him, let's get it on with players who understand what it means to be pro ball players and appreciate the blessings they have been given. Let him go knock up hoodrats on his on time, he'll figure it out I bet when he sees the quality of hoddie the fry guy at burger king pulls. Suck it Eggie :mad:

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Think about this for a second, what if the we had not suspended Eddie in the first place?

This is one of few moments in life were someone actually reacted to the warning signs. And I'm not saying that it helped, I'm just saying that it might have prevented something worse from happening to our team.

16. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Who needs him?:mad:

17. brown_hornet

brown_hornet New Member

A focused, determined Griffin? The Rockets need him. In the West you have to go through two all-star teams to make it to the finals. Griffin will make a difference (in a positive way), but he has to get his head on straight first. He needed a reality check and this may have been it.

Perhaps you don't recall his dominant performance against the Lake Show during his rookie season. He was amazing and his confidence was through the roof. He has the ability to dominate his man in the playoffs. Same cannot be said for Cato (not as much athletecism) or Taylor. WE NEED GRIFFIN!

He'll be there (in the playoffs) and we will lean heavily on him to get us beyond the first round. Mark my words...

18. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Griffin needs support...

You take away a man's hope, what does he have? The media and the fans are just pilin' on to what already is a sore wound and soon enough a man is going break...I think any of us are capable of a meltdown if we're put down all the time.

On Griffin's side, he needs to surround himself with supportive, positive influences...and I wouldn't give up on the Rockets if I were him...some tough love (suspension) is sometimes what a man needs to re-evaluate his priorities. I also hope his family doesn't force him into rash decisions...if I were a mother, brother, or uncle I know what I would do to make things better.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Maybe I might come off a bit harsh, but I disagree with this bleeding heart approach.

These guys are professionals. They have all the resources (best money can buy) at their reach. If he needs to seek councelling, then he has the freedom to do that. The only problem I have is when the media gets involved and it becomes a distraction to the team.

I have no reason to doubt that the players will help him through this (where deemed appropriate), but lets keep things in perspective. This guy is on a downward spiral. Although there are holes in the recent events, he was accused of beating a woman and shooting a firearm. I have a tough time feeling sorry for loose cannons.

Eddie needs to take as much time that he needs to get better, while keeping in mind that he is replaceable. Hopefully after everything gets ironed out he will be a better man, whether he plays basketball or not. I wish him luck.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

That's how I see it. Prepare for what Eddie's going to do or what Bzdelik and Carmello Anthony are going to do? Not much choice there IMO.