1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Disturbance at Griffin house

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CiscoKid, Oct 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Timing

Timing Member

Originally posted by RIET
    Easily? If you're looking for innuendos and connotations that don't exist - absolutely.

Coincedence of race? What are the odds if you comment on a Rocket player he'll be American Caucasion, Chinese, Slovenian, or African American. Hmmm. The correlation of commenting on a Rockets player and him being African American is high.

The player is black, the poster is known to be black, the poster's name has the word brother in it, he's been attacked in similar fashion before but these connotations just don't exist? Okay...

I don't know what your race is but peope read what they want to read into people's ideas without ever understanding it's intent or purpose. There are some who still believe the Wizard of Oz was a children's story and not political satire. Whatever. The fact he verbally attacked me because of my post demonstrates an impulsive anger that is well beyond the scope of my comments.

The lesson I have learned is I should not use the word "brother" because certain people on Clutchcity, including yourself can easily identify it with racial connotations.

You can play dumb if you want but if you're going to chide a black man for his support of another then using the word brother in that context is probably not advisable. That's insulting, however unintended or ignorant it might have been on your behalf. That is reality.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I see. The fact I chided a black man for supporting a black man and used "brother" is both ignorant and insulting.

Ignorant? I suggest you look up the origins of brother. It's scope is far beyond the narrowminded definition that you have placed upon it.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

Reading all these past incidents with Eddie getting into so many fights, I think he may have a rage problem. But he doesn't seem take out his rage in a verbal manner like most people. He doesn't scream, or really say much at all. He seems to take out his anger physically. Where a normal person would yell during an argument, Eddie just slugs the person he's angry with. End of argument.

The Rockets should really consider sending him to a psychologist or something. Probably should have done so a long time ago.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

If that is the core of your argument then that's what you should have said and stuck with that. We would have debated and probably agreed to disagree. Basically, if I read something that would raise the eyebrows of people of color in mixed company, I reference it and whether intentional or not, you crossed that line.

If you think that I am overreacting, my friends and I will gather Tuesday at SRO on 290 (If you are in Houston), come there and we will poll and discuss. If I am wrong, and I have been before, I have no problem in admitting that, it's the only way to learn.

Be my guest.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I would love to but Im stuck in Connecticut.

I have total disdain for Eddie Griffin because he has not shown any sign of professional or personal growth since we drafted him. It's pretty much my stance that Eddie Griffin is an immature boob that deserves nothing. He's had more opportunities in 3 years than most are afforded in their lifetime yet he's blown it - bigtime.

It was pretty obvious in my original post that I had no regard for Eddie and any support from me would be superficial, hence my saracstic comment about your warm and fuzzy, feel-good, Kumbaya type efforts to assist him.

The fact you misinterperted this as a racial attack is unfortunate.

6. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I went to Hastings, and I used to play ball in Amity park all the time.

small world.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

btw "Kumbaya" is a negro spiritual that was the prayer of slaves. Think about that the next time you reference it sarcastically about a person of color.

8. Timing

Timing Member

I don't need to look up the origins of the word brother as it relates to black men, thanks. Maybe you should look it up. Look up the word boy too. I don't want you getting in any trouble with the narrowminded definition of that word. ;)

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Now...if only there was a feature to weed out all of these personal disputes, and keep only the info relating to the Eddie Griffin incident in this thread. Seriously, if you guys want to derail a news thread which people are periodically looking at for updates on this story, then go start a new one in D&D....or better yet, just let it go :rolleyes:

10. d-chi10

d-chi10 Member

I normally just read and do not post, but I just have to say that Eddie Griffin is a worthless waste of talent and space.

My 2 cents.

11. lucky

lucky New Member

THAT PIECE ABOUT THE WIZARD OF OZ WAS INTERESTING. iN THE 8TH I ACTUALLY WROTE A POLITICAL SPIN VERSION OF THE WOO BASED ON THE TITLE, tHE WIZARD OF GSC OR GREAT SOCIETY CITY, WITH MY HUMOR, SUCH AS IT WAS DIRECTED AT LYNDON JOHNSON WITH KENNEDY AS THE HEIR APPARENT WHO TOOK OVER THE CORRUPTED KINGDOM. MOST OF THE KIDS DIDN'T GET THE HUMORE..BTW.....MY FIRST EXPERIENCE OF THE ARTIST BEING TOTALLY MISUNDERSTOOD BY THE AUDIENCE.

AS TO EDDIE, I THINK IT'S FOR THE BEST IF HE'S PULLED FROM THE ROSTER AND DESIGNATED FOR COUNSELING UNTIL SUCH TIME IT'S DEEMED HE HAS INTIGRATED HIS OBVIOUS CHILDHOOD SEPERATION PROBLEMS AND ABANDONMENT ISSUES, PLUS LACK OF POSITIVE MALE ROLE MODEL ISSUES. ONE THING THIS YOUNG MAN, AND BELIEVE ME HE SURE AS HELL IS ACTING LIKE A YOUNG MAN, HAS A CHANCE TO CATCH HIS BREATH, PUT DOWN THE GUN AND CHOOSE PEACE, STARTING INSIDE. HE IS VERY VERY PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE. ALL THAT BULL SH#T ABOUT HOW QUIET HE IS, THAT WAS A WARNING SIGN. HE'S LUCKY THAT BULLET DIDN'T HIT SOMETHING AND GO THROUGH SOMEONES BODY. VERY LUCK. YO COULD ALSMOST SAY, IN EDDIE GRIFFIN'S LIFE, THIS MAY TURN OUT TO BE A BLESSING IN DISGUISE. SOME TIMES WHAT LOOKS LIKE A BLESSING IS A CURSE, AND WHAT LOOKS LIKE A CURSE IS A BLESSING. GO ROCKETS ! :cool:

12. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

yea! I got to Elsik!

13. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

AMITY PARK! Haha. I used to play there too.. Elsik '97. WOOT.

14. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Elsik Class of 84....we used to ball up at Amity after football too, even back then!

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i can't tell if this has turned into the debate and discussion forum or the hangout.

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Since this thread is completely shot to he11 and now my curiosity is raised about "kumbayah", I thought I would chime in with some info:

From www.yourdictionary.com, which lists it as one of the most common questions they receive:
    From wwww.straightdope.com:
    Here is a short explanation of the Gullah culture from www.coastalguide.com:
    I personally learned Kumbayah in my Methodist sunday school classes when I was about 5-10 years old, I can't really remember exactly. It is very common to use in many religious institutions throughout the country and also as a 50's & 60's campfire sing along. In addition to that (since it hasn't made it's way into English dictionaries yet) I found it listed in www.slangsite.com:
    I also found it used in place of the word "sincerely" in a random search.

17. bonr13

bonr13 Member

Buyout E. Griffin's contract then sign Tyrrone Hill- he's still good for about 7 rebs per game

18. StevieFrancis03

Id say that only about 30% of the posts in this thread were actually about EDDIE, YOU FREAKING OFF TOPIC IDIOTS, this thread was STARTED about E D D I E G R I F F I N, and went on to about 200 other different topics, from r****ds arguing, to the WTC and 911, what the he11 is wrong with you people??:rolleyes: :confused:

19. DanzelKun

DanzelKun Contributing Member

Haha, I pointed it out on page 10! Booya! :p
    But I had a feeling it would fall through the cracks... :(

20. ILuvEddie33

ILuvEddie33 Member

calm down. There's obviously no new news cuz if there was thats wut ppl would be talkin about! :D

Oh and Im class of 06!! and Amity park is still there ppl still play there (mostly b-ball!)