1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 10, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally think Achtung Baby was their best work. It spanned more topics and was more personal.
    However Joshua Tree is a masterpiece with some hidden gems like in gods country and one tree hill.
    The best song is Bullet the Blue sky
    Very judgement day like

Deji McGever likes this.
  2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Waiting for the presale to start at 9!

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Unforgettable Fire is their masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think it's the best album by any band to come out of the 80's. Bono's voice was at it's absolute peak seamlessly using a 3 octave range, Larry's drumming (and drum sounds) have never been better and The Edge....oh, man...his guitar just sounds perfect on every single song.

Standout tracks: Wire, Unforgettable Fire, Elvis Presley & America, and of course my all-time favorite U2 song....Bad.

I love the whole atmospheric feel of the entire album. Huge departure from War. I mean, they recorded it in a freakin' castle...how cool is that?

Daniel Lanois + Brian Eno + U2 = GREATNESS

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

^ "I agree." - Clyde Drexler

"Achtung Baby" is pretty much my favorite U2 album. Funny; I wasn't smitten with it when it was first released. Maybe I was distracted at the time. A month or so later when "One" hit the airwaves I perked up and gave it a re-listen and have loved it ever since. "Until the End of the World" and "So Cruel" are underrated gems. Btw, the bass and drums on the album are outstanding.

"Joshua Tree" is that album that can sway me back to think, "No, THIS is their best," but, in truth, while it has the Holy Trinity of U2 singles, "Achtung" as an album is stronger throughout. Part of why I prefer "Revolver" to other Beatles albums. "Sgt Peppers" has the best individual songs but also has some semi-filler, while "Revolver" doesn't really have any weaknesses.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

How much will tickets be? I'm guessing ridiculously expensive because U2 knows that most of their fans are adults now with steady jobs.

6. droxford

droxford Member

wait - I can't buy the tix from ticketmaster WITHOUT buying a $50 login to u2.com ?!?!?

7. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Pixies played Doolittle in full back around 2010.

Yes had a tour in 2013/14 called the Three Album Tour where they played three classic albums a night: The Yes Album, Close to the Edge and Going for the One in full. (Jon Davidson was on vocals but it was still an incredible night of music).

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Put me in the early U2 fan category. I was a big fan of Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree etc... they lost me at Zooropa. Those early albums take me back to high school, cutting class, bonfires on Jamaica Beach... good times.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i saw that doolittle tour and i saw the janes addiction one last year in austin...the band sounded great and navarro was shredding, but perry's voice is totally gone. he should not be performing anymore...or maybe just quit doing drugs?

also, bands have been doing the full-album live thing for awhile. the cure played 3 full albums in concert like 20 years ago...p*rnography, disintegration and bloodflowers. goth as f*** yo.

these days i listen to 'war' more than any other U2 album, but its hard to say joshua tree is not their peak. i actually prefer side two to side one with all the hits....red hill mining town - in gods country - trip through your wires - one tree hill...those are 4 of my top 10 U2 songs all in a row.

i got back into 'war' when i was backpacking in guatemala a few years ago. that country has an 'apocalypse now' vibe to it and the music provided an appropriate soundtrack for my travels.

U2, the cure and REM are three bands from my youth that i still love and listen to all the time, but only the 80's stuff. all 3 bands could have broke up in 1990 and never release anything else as far as im concerned.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Replace The Cure with RHCP and I'm right there with you.

The Police, Rush, U2, REM and RHCP were my big 5 in high school during the 80's.

jo mama likes this.
  11. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I just messaged you a presale code to use.

12. hvic

hvic Member

anyone have an extra presale code that they are not using???

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Are they going to stuff Joshua Tree on my iPhone?

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  14. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Got my pre-sale tickets yesterday. Ended up on the 1st level, section 103 for $157 a ticket. Not too bad.... Never seen U2 live, I am curious to hear how they stack up with the other guys i've seen this past year, i.e. AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and Steven Tyler.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Going and hope they play some of the B side songs from this album. Great stuff, so many memories.

Also was able to get A Perfect Circle tix today but had to pay $275 each since it was VIP tix only. Jfc. I don't even know where the Sugarland venue is, never even heard of it?

16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Funny you mention this tour. The band my wife most wanted to see was the Pixies. They finally came to New Zealand with that tour in 2010. The show was on the due date for our first child. Like a boss, my wife f-ing went to that show. The Pixies kicked ass (and our son was born healthy and happy a few days later).

#36 BMoney, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    VooDooPope likes this.
  17. likestohypeguy

Huge u2 fanboi. Loved joshua tree, then acthung, then zooroupa etc. all good stuff..

Go texans, break brady's knee in the first quarter just kidding.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

U2 live shows are great because they are audience involved. They have songs that everyone can sing to, it is almost like going to church where everyone is in agreement.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Listen to Zooropa now, it's way head of it's time.

20. tinman

Supporting Member