1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Rose No Show?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mikol13, Jan 9, 2017.

1. malakas

malakas Member

First of all for every single game of Rose it earns him approximately 200.000 dollars. Secondly if he has a family emergency OR he doesn't feel well psychologically noone here and neither his team nor the NBA has said or have in their rules that the player can't take the day off. Plenty of players are out for personal reasons every season.
    However Rose without any warning didn't turn up in his job in the afternoon while he was there in the morning. He didn't pick multiple phonecalls and the team was so worried that something happened to him that they even sent people to his home. And not only that but none of his huge entourage of "managers" or his agent thought to call the job.
    He made everyone around him worried that he had even died. He made the fans worried.
    You don't want to call yourself? Since you talk to your bro who is your handler and always around you like a leech, have him explain to the Knicks that you are OK and alive but can't play today.

If he wants to retire that's his choice. But ON PURPOSE make everyone worry about him is unacceptable.

As for the journalists around him and taking photos ...that's why Derrick Rose earns 200k to play a child's game. That IS part of his job. He is an entertainer.

slothy420 and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, you can take a day off for family emergencies and get charged nothing.

Or you can take a day off for family emergencies and not call and get fined. He makes 20m and he gets fined tens of thousands of dollars and in this case probably the 200k as well. Neither of these things is comparable to the average working person. He is not better than anyone, he just happens to have a skill that is rarer and more profitable. He is still a working person no more or less likely to experience all of the psychological qualities I listed.

He did not want to text or talk to anyone on the Knicks. Maybe he was contemplating suicide rather than retirement. Maybe he was contemplating retirement. Maybe he just had an extreme problem with a member of his family which he cannot - no matter the pressure - disclose.

I REFUSE TO JUDGE THAT. I watch him play games sometimes and I read stories from a headline-craving corporate-minded media about his personality and behavior. If he did this for attention or for a silly reason, he is selfish to his teammates. If he did it for a genuine private reason, then the selfishness is more than acceptable. We don't call a person selfish when they miss a game with injury, so personally I wouldn't call a person selfish for abandoning his teammates in a big dollar game of basketball if he had a legit private issue and YOU and ME do not know if he did. I. Refuse. To. Judge. Him. On. That. I can say I do not know, and I can accept that there are things bigger in the world than winning a high stakes basketball game which fans have paid to see. He is fully within his rights to skip and game and NOT text his team as long as he is willing to accept losing the money he's supposed to get paid and of course he must accept the risk of termination. I'm fine with that choice. Again, his job is meaningless in the world, it is not more important than his incapability to deal with whatever he's dealing with to the point that he did not even communicate with the team. I see his non-communication as an alarming and worrisome sign that makes me concerned for his well being, not as just the unacceptable punishable disgusting act. For the brief time that people were worried about his safety, absolutely he should apologize to those people who were genuinely concerned. I do suspect, however, that a minority of people tend to make such claims to dramatize the situation, and pile on the person - particularly fickle fans and conflicted employees of the organization. The majoority, however, were probably really concerned and he should understand that people that care about him deserve an apology.

If I could put it in a shorter way, it would be to say: if it was my sister or brother, I would be terrified at first, then angry that she didn't text, and my immediate next action would be to ask her if she is ok and get to the bottom of what she subjectively feels is so bad that she couldn't communicate with me. It seems most people skipped that last step and moved directly to: "f*ck him I want revenge let's **** on him and add to his mental situation with anger and pressure."

And let me be clear that I have been critical of things that have been said about him in the past, for example when in Chicago he seemed to me like he was not in the games to win. That I can consider an abandonment of teammates and fans and I have no problem saying that he has not performed as well as he could have performed in his recent career.

Sorry but this is just insanity malakas. These are people, no matter how much they get paid, I will not put them on a pedestal and I will not bury them in the ground just because they make 200k a game. It's an insignificant quality to me, anyone would take that money even if they objectively knew they couldn't complete the job. I agree with the notion we should not be excessively compassionate towards the first world problems of financially privileged people, but I insist that this is a different situation than his past misbehavior and we should not reduce our compassion and forget that he is a human being who has always seem to had problems accepting the pressure and responsibility of his role and his employer btw knew it before they signed him. It's exactly the same argument as I'm making about high school bullying, we don't know what's going on in this person's mind, if we could know then we might realize that the consequence of judging him may not be worth one lost NBA game.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Sorry but are you implying that just because Rose is a bball player and his job doesn't change the world, he has more right to feel bad and take days off than an average person who does a more important job? Oh look mr engineer, teacher and doctor..you are not allowed to feel down, have depression or have a family emergency and just go missing without alerting your boss who is waiting for you and depending on you. ONLY an entertainer is allowed without judgement and repercussions.
    I judge the same a person who does that either it's Rose or a real co worker. The only difference is that the real coworker would get fired on top of being judged. Rose will get off too lightly.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is acting like a child. When you hit manhood you pick up the phone and call your work, period.

slothy420 and malakas like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I will judge the hell out of it.

This isn't the first or even the fifth time that Rose has done this. He did it often with the Bulls and they covered it up because he was a franchise player with the mental fortitude of a gnat.

There is a reason why it isn't routine for NBA players to just decide to not show up at game time.

Rose's personal life is a DISASTER, his living situation is unhealthy as he seems to believe that all the bad things that happen to him are all luck.

Rose didn't not show up for the game because his mom was sick, or because of him son. He didn't show up because he has multiple women living with him, and he does not even have control over his own household. Couple that with being angry that he was pulled for Baker at the end of the previous game.

Everyone in Chicago knows the Rose show and this is par for the course.

RudyTBag and malakas like this.
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

The police don't even look for a lost child for 24 hours because more oft then not it's nothing. The child turns up. I'm reminded of when the Titans went looking for Vince Young. It was overblown. Give it at least 24 hours before you hit the panic button.

Second, there are a lot of people who dive inward at times and don't like contact. This is normal behavior for a lot of people. Howard Hughes is just one example. There's nothing wrong with that. People need to let them do that without consequence even in the day and age of constant contact.

Yes. Worry. But in due time. To me, this should not be a big deal.

#106 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Interesting. I didn't know that he didn't show up for games with the Bulls.
    In the other teams, if someone doesn't show up for practice he is fined and often suspended/ benched. Not to mention actual games.

I wonder what the heck is KC Johnson trying to do covering up for Rose. As the Bullls mouthpiece with the way things ended between the two sides I didn't expect a cover up from him.

Anyway...this whole mess iswhat most people who had any idea of Rose's intelligence, expected. As soon as he leaves Chicago who treated him like a baby and sheltered him for the most brutal media market in the world, he wouldn't be able to hide anymore of his stupidity.
    And he's managing even better than I expected tbh. I thought things would be much worse with his behaviour adn the things he says.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Being a moutpiece for leaks on behalf of Rose can still help him. First of all it lends to his profile. In this new age we live in where local reporters get famous on twitter, anything that makes you look "legit" is a good thing for your career. We all know the reporter at ESPN that has essentially made himself the go to guy on Lebron news by working as his moutpieces in both Miami and Cleveland.

malakas likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

With the Bulls it got to bad that the team and the Rose camp had a special person paid by the team to be the middle man to let the organization know when Rose would not be playing, under the guise that he was "sore" or "didn't feel right"; it was one of the major issues between the Bulls organization and Coach Thibs. It wasn't that uncommon for Thibs to not know that Rose was not playing until after the shoot around. Thibs did not appreciate that Paxson and the organization supported Rose on the issue over Thibs. The fact that Rose is from the poor part of Chicago, and had a huge following within the city had a huge impact in how the Bulls handled Rose and what they would tolerate. He was the youngest MVP in league history, and the Bulls felt they were close to a title.... so a whole lot of leeway was given to Rose.

KC Johnson likes Rose, he always has. Also, don't think that the Bulls necessarily want the bad parts of Rose's past to come out, because it will expose to what extent the organization went to cover up and defend Rose. Also, KC Johnson has to deal with BJ Armstrong (prominent in Chicago) and even now, Rose is a large draw in Chicago. KC has personal interest in keeping a relationship with Rose.

FWIW if you believe the people close to the situation in Chicago, Rose has been severely impacted by the rape allegations and was afraid that he very well could end up in prison at some point over it. Whether he is guilty of innocent, he was ashamed that his personal life and interests were made public. Supposedly he is questioning the life decisions he has made. I personally am skeptical of all of it, I think that Rose has a low IQ and probably doesn't have the mental ability/interest in doing what it would take to fix his personal life. He is supposedly miserable..... he certainly seems like it if you watch him off the court.

malakas likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

No I specifically said the opposite, I did not imply that at all. We shouldn't treat him differently because he makes more, neither positively nor negatively. I feel like you are turning it up because he makes more money, I believe you brought up how much he makes in the first sentence of your post.

An average worker would get fired because their contract says so. If the Knicks have that in the contract, they're free to do so. The reality is he is worth more money and more indispensable to his employer - in the view of his employer - than most people are to theirs. So they won't fire him. There are 400-500 humans who can compete in the NBA, and he is probably in the top 100.

Again, I'm not going to judge the guy on this particular incident. I pay to watch NBA games and I'm an NBA fan and I would not be so angry to **** on a player for something I do not understand. If the guy on our team is having a mental crisis, I am fine with him missing a day of work. I'm just more interested in not attacking a person that clearly already has issues. I gain nothing from it, I'm just a guy watching him play basketball for like $100 a year. In my opinion it is ridiculous and absurd to trash someone for this.

Instead of judging Rose like a coworker or an NBA player, try judging him like a family member. If you can't do that, then we're just different people with different world views and that's ok. Heck, I've been guilty of doing it in the past, I just don't consider it justified.

11. malakas

malakas Member

I am sorry but I absolutely can't judge Rose as a family member. Or even as a friend. Because if I had a brother or a friend who did what Rose is doing in his private life I would have severed all personal ties with them. Maybe I'm more judgemental than you but I can't accept having personal relationships with someone who is a gangbanger.
    That's why I don't try to do it on purpose even if sometimes it's impossible to just overlook the quality of the human the NBA player is.
    That's why i choose to judge him more impersonal as an acquintance.

BTW...noone said that Rose deserves to go to prison over this. What people are saying is that he doesnt' care one bit about his job, his teammates (so called "brothers" who they go together every night to fight on the court) and that he is competely irresponsible. And he should be suspended or some mainly Knicks fans are saying he should be waived.
    So I don't understand why are you so defensive about that? Is it wrong to say that his behaviour is irresponsible?

12. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

13. malakas

malakas Member

I had heard about the role of his bro and his entourage on deciding whether he would play or not but I didn't know he completely didn't go to the games and went MIA.
    Since Reinsdorf loves so much the cash the Bulls bring him do you think it's possible they resign Rose on a cheap deal next season? If it's true that Rose wants to come back to Chicago to be near his son then he should have interest in resigning (since noone will give him even near the $ he is seeking in FA anyway).

I don't believe either that Rose was that much impacted. His emotional iq is extremely low as evidenced by his interviews. . But if he has, good for him.

wow Jabari Parker's family deserve an award for raising their son like that in the southside of Chicago.

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sorry but this is literally an ignorant thing to say, and I'm not using the word ignorant to be inflammatory, it's just the only word I know to describe someone who makes assertions that lack information. You are letting your irritation getting in the way of things I know you know. I know you know there are complexities. I know you know there are hard working people who are suicidal, depressive, bipolar, immature, etc. I know you know no one totally matures in all areas of their life, neither you or me or Rose or anyone - I'm sure your closest friends/family could point out to me some immature things you do. I know you know there are things that you are particular about which no one else can understand. I know you know that there are things in life that can overshadow the need to make a call to your work. Just because you haven't faced things like that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that you are stronger/weaker than others for approaching it differently. But more likely, since we're all human, you have felt that way in the past, decided to internalize it and that's what's making you feel the way you are right now. That's not an analysis of you, that's just how humans are.

Most of all, I hope you know that mental issues, by definition, do not result in rational outcomes. For example, someone has a beautiful home, beautiful happy wife/kids, an admirable bank account, a fulfilling hobby, all of that. He is clinically depressive and bipolar, he contemplates suicide on a random basis. He is at work all the time at 7am, except when he has these lapses and then he disappears from work for a few days. It's not rational. NO ONE knows it, including the people he works with who think he just randomly takes time off once in a while, he is too proud to admit it to his company and he won't let anyone tell them. They just think he's an entitled person. What's worse is his coworkers do include some lazy relatives of the owners of the company, and so he gets lumped in with them. Which is then doubling the pressure on him to perform. And there's a similar parallel here because he is a senior, indispensable member of his company because of his work, which is why he still doesn't get fired. He is worth more than he earns even with his issues. This stuff happens, there are complexities. That's a real world example btw. Kind of similarly, Rose is in a privileged position, he is one of 100 people in the world who can do his job as well as he does. That's why you can't just say "call your work or you're a bum". There are complexities and knote32, we all know it, it's frustration that leads us to simplify and externalize problems.

It is not rational. What's rational is that he should tell his employer or he should have someone let them know when he has those swings. That is the whole point of issues in the mind. Irrationality like that is not a problem, it is a symptom of a problem. In your mind, Rose made a decision at some point to be an *******. In reality, that is not how it takes place in his mind. He was obviously so mentally consumed with something that he chose not to speak to anyone from the Knicks. Until we know what that thing is (or isn't), it is absurd for anyone to sit behind their keyboard and chalk this up to him being a shitty person. Anyway, his teammates will know better than us, and he mostly owes an apology or explanation to them and not anyone else.

Having said all that, maybe he is just an a-hole. I don't know. And that's the whole point, we don't know and there is no benefit to this immense trashing that's going on, and there is a possible negative consequence of this trashing.

Also, sorry but I simply do not have that extravagant obedience towards an employer as many seem to have here. Employers care what you are worth financially, nothing more. Rose - like all employees - offers a service and in exchange the Knicks give him an amount of money that they assume is less than he's worth (they have to make a profit right). In their contract there are clauses and terms. Missing a game without letting the team know has a clear punitive clause. They will exercise it. That's it. If that's totally unacceptable, then they should have offered him a contract with the clause which says: if you do this, your contract can be terminated immediately (and he would have gone elsewhere btw, because someone would offer him a contract without that). If that's in there already, then terminate him.

I understand the irritation with him, but if people genuinely want him to perform better, they are doing the opposite of what's effective and we should know by now that neither coddling him or harassing him works.

15. StraightG

StraightG Member

Derrick Rose is a gangbanger?

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't know about the rape thing, frankly I thought he was cleared of it. Just for the sake of clarity, my posts are under the assumption that he didn't. But just to touch on that as well, if it were true that he's a rapist, then it would prove my point further that this man has a mental issue and so it's irrational to expect him to act rationally. He should be in some form of rehabilitation for his crime if that was the case, and this incident becomes a minor one in the grand scheme of things.

As for your second point, anyone can have their opinion of course. It's just speculation I guess. But I've seen from the inside what this kind of thing can do to a person who has done nothing wrong, media pressure + social media pressure + followed around wherever you go + all that comes with being popular. I'm just saying that it's strange if I don't agree with something a person does that I would act in the way that might make him do it more and has no chance of making him do it less. I also find it strange how people who watch a basketball game feel like they matter enough to be angry and direct their anger towards him. Maybe he's irresponsible but we're not really the judges of his irresponsibility. His team and teammates are. His team fined him. His teammates will expect a resolution. If I knew what was in his head I'd feel more comfortable sharing my thoughts, but honestly right now it feels to me like this is a mentally traumatized man being put under severe pressure. He's a person who's already down in the dirt being kicked repeatedly for something he doesn't understand how to change. It's easy to say "just do it", but the reality is more complex than that. He would want to change that more than we would want to change that, his life would be much easier.

Unless he has no reason for doing this, in which case it would be irresponsible. But like I said in my post to knote, that's the whole point, we don't know what's in his head, why are we jumping to conclusions. And now I understand why people have built up frustration for him which is spilling over, because the details of this rape case maybe aren't what I thought.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope. He needs to call in.

He is not mentally sick. He is immature and inconsiderate. The world does not revolve around Derrick Rose and his lack of discipline outside of basketball really shows that he has not figured out how to be a man.

He could have used a good solid stint in the military.

Jayzers_100 and Pen15clubber like this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Wow that's an unbelievable conclusion to me. I wish things were that simple, then we wouldn't have all this PTSD, suicide, high levels of rape, etc in the military. It's ironic to me that you would recommend a person accused of being a rapist to be sent to a place with a culture of raping women so that he can figure out how to "be a man" while learning how to murder human beings in order for him to be an obedient employee of a basketball team which he was already good enough to play for.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

good thing he doesn't need to since we men

malakas likes this.
  20. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Fascinating. I'm really curious to hear more. I wonder if he's been diagnosed as bipolar or clinically depressed. The statements about not knowing about his health or state of mind or him having days of not showing up or not being able to pick up the phone matches closely with a college friend of mine.

Mathloom likes this.