1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2017] Montrezl Harrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 15, 2016.

1. alethios

alethios Member

Morey's 2nd round drafting genius continues. There's no way Harrell should have lasted til the 2nd round but it's our good fortune that he did.

BamBam likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ennis at least got some PT when Bev was injured. Beasley would've just sat on the bench doing nothing or taken actual PT away from the good players we have in Dekker and Harrell

3. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

The real test of stardom is consistency, lets see if he can keep this up....

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

That's not true. If consistency was the real test, Brewer would be a superstar.

You have to be productive and consistent, both equally important.

5. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Did you not read my entire post? It stated "if he keeps this up..." and that specific "this" is productive

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah agree with that part, but just saying the first part is not really true, it's just something people say. Consistency is not the real test, it's one test out of many. You can be a productive player and not be very consistent, see: Ryan Anderson.

Of course people should be consistently good to be considered good players. But people like, for example, Ariza have long been called streaky, but that's a hell of a good player with a consistent career. On the inverse side, surely Trez doesn't have to shoot over 90% from the field consistently to be considered a good player.

I got the impression from your post - maybe the wrong impression, correct me if I'm wrong - that Harrell has to be this good very often to be considered a good player. I think if he puts up 12/5 this season then that's a very good player with a very bright future given his age and motor.

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I stated stardom though and I apologize for not being entirely capable of expressing what I mean in a clear manner, I'm not entirely here as of right now, concussed and on pain meds. What I meant to get across is that if he could consistently play as productive as he's been playing the past little while he could very well be considered a "rising star". Of course consistency does not decide stardom, nor does productivity, but mix the two and you can make a good argument that said player would be "star". Many people before this year would not have called EGo a star but after the consistent play he's put up, for the time being I would in my mind look at him as an all-star type of talent.

Mathloom likes this.
  8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

15.4 and 1.3 blocks ( 20 and 1.7 per 36) over the last 11 games, on 70% shooting. Obviously most of them are around the rim, but the ability to finish at a high clip in traffic is a huge skill, and he is doing it at an extremely high level right now.

He still has awareness and positioning issues (which is part of why his rebounding is so poor), but he mitigates some of that with high energy. He's gonna have to improve in those areas if he wants to elevate himself to true impact player instead of good rotation player.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why did he last to the second round? He has a strong all around game, high motor, very athletic.

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

His finishing is elite, I don't know how he makes some of those and1's with the contact he takes. He hustles, he has a nice touch, hits the J occasionally, post skills are way above anyone on our team. Just a very, very good offensive player. He's a great duo with Ryno.

Only problem I see with his Harrell is his defensive rebounding, I don't know if it's his size or his box outs, probably both. If you're not going for the block (he's not a shot blocker) there's really no excuse to not be in position to box out & win that rebound 80% of the time.

He's young though, he'll improve which is great news because he's already a force.

D-rock likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Undersized, poor rebounder, can't shoot the 3. NBA wasn't sure what to do with a guy like that, and really, the Rockets weren't either at first. Playing him at the 5 as an elite finisher instead of the pick and pop, floor spacing 4 that people on here hoped he would be come has made him extremely valuable because of his finishing skills and high energy. However, he would hurt us with his poor rebounding if he wasn't just killing folks with his finishing skills and hustle and DAntoni scheming his guards/wings to compensate for the poor interior rebounding we get.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He's been real good on the defensive switches, too.

D-rock and seeingred like this.
  13. seeingred

seeingred Member

Well said. He looked great against GSW because they shipped away their big men. That's the kind of team he is built to thrive against. Most teams, we'll have to team defensive rebound while he's in there and hopefully his offense and good man to man defense make it worth it. But some teams, like OKC... i just don't know man. If he's so tenacious getting offensive rebound and buckets how come he can't grab some defensive ones?

Anyway, he's a good surprise this year and expect his game to grow due to his obvious passion for it.

RudyTBag and justtxyank like this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed. Teams that can rebound well on the offensive glass will hurt Harrell when he's out there. They'll grab rebounds over him and get second chance points.

D'Antoni deserves a lot of credit for scheming around our rebounding issues, which don't stop at Harrell. Nene is also a poor rebounder.

If he's finishing at the rim like Prime Shaq on a nightly basis though, who cares haha! 70%+ from the field with nearly all of them being ferocious dunks? You can live with his subpar rebounding because those dunks are murdering baby kittens.

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  15. ziebarf

ziebarf Member

Really surprised by his consistency, he's looking like a vet. He knows what he does well and doesn't play outside of himself. His PnR timing is getting impressive, great chemistry with James.

My god if he can go 35% from the three, we'd be even more deadly. One thing at a time though!

RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You know when Ryan takes those fadeaways or spinning fadeaways? I would really rather Harrell takes those J's from mid range.

Ryan is not good at doing that. He's good when he goes towards the basket or spins towards the basket and tries to lay it in. It's one tiny part of our offense I could do without, and I'd like to see Harrell get rewarded for his efficiency by giving him a shot (short mid range) that looks like it's going to be a staple of his career.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

making capela obsolete game in game out

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The more Montrezl and Capela succeed just by running pick and rolls with Harden, the funnier Dwight's refusal to run pick and rolls with Harden becomes.

Truly amazing

Jatman20, alethios, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I hope Montrezl goes away this offseason Rocky 4 style and comes back with Dreds and a 37 percent three pointer.

He would be insanely valuable.

20. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Forget that, the Rockets lost an all-star in Dwight Howard and went from an 8th seed team with 3 guys who were supposed to play like all-stars to just one. Everyone including Rockets fans thought this team was lottery bound, but Morey rebuilt this team on the fly and now we are a 2nd round team.