1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP assault on women's access to health care begins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

if the GOP is smart (they aren't), they will make birth control OTC

PP doesn't do mammograms, if you don't need them to get birth control, they can only justify their existence as an abortion mill

at least that's more honest

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

non-government revenue

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

That conservative media assertion has been proven completely false. But you likely know this already.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...anned-parenthood-86-percent-abortion-revenue/

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just telling you why people who are against abortion wouldn't want them to receive their money. If it's such a small part of what they do, then they could stop doing them right? Then they'd have no problem getting funds and everyone but me would be happy.

cml750 likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once again the media has succeeded in manipulating the image of PP to make it appear as if it is an abortion factory, when that is less than 5% of the services they provide. It is an organization that gives screenings for breast cancer, screens for cervical cancer, treats other women's disorders, illnesses, disease, and prevention of disease.

That is what they do many times more than they do any abortions.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not anti-abortion (nor pro-) and I think we'll have some bad social outcomes from defunding, but @StupidMoniker is right about the fungibility of money. And I don't have much regard for the argument that abortion is such a small part of what they do. Given all the crap they take for abortion, they should spin-off abortion services into another organization. The Planned Parenthood that provides preventive care can get tax dollars and some relief on security expenses. The new abortion organization can be unabashed about their service and rely on donations and service fees. But they won't because abortion is integral to the organization's mission.

I wonder if denying Medicaid payments can pass muster with the courts. It looks to me like they are simply participating in the Medicaid market and singling them out is an attempt to legislate against a single market actor in order to deny the citizenry their court-authored right to an abortion. I feel like there has to be a lawsuit in there somewhere.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

kills the access argument and makes the girls claiming they have to spend 20K a month on birth control look even more r****ded.

morning after pill already is and it is just the same stuff but stronger.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Those things sound really important, so why not just get out of the crime prevention business by not doing abortions anymore in order to focus fully on all of those really important things? It would completely solve all of the public funding issues and it sounds like a win/win situation. Have another organization take up the crime prevention task of doing abortions (also VERY important) while they can focus on women's health issues.

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Except that sometimes abortions are important to the woman's health and it is a health issue.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But it's of tiny importance, you've said so yourself, wouldn't it be better to provide all of those other services with greater public funding and allow some other organization to run as an abortion mill without public funding for the tiny portion of the time where abortions are done? Or is offering abortions seen by them as the most important thing they provide and thus something they'd never stop providing?

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Or abortions are constitutionally protected and since they play a part in women's health, there is no reason for them to have to stop providing them.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one said that it wasn't constitutionally protected, but something being constitutionally protected doesn't mean that it should receive public funding. Again, if abortion is only a small part of what Planned Parenthood does, why not get rid of it in order to better fund the rest of what they do? Why not open up a separate entity that can operate as a privately funded abortion mill? It seems that they are putting women's health at risk by refusing to get rid of that one tiny part of what they do that is putting their public funding at risk.

Of course, we both know, that despite the propaganda, the main purpose of Planned Parenthood is offering abortion....which I think is awesome, but that's why they'd never eliminate that one service in order to save public funding of everything else they do. They truly don't care at all about screenings for breast cancer, screens for cervical cancer, treating other women's disorders, illnesses, disease, and prevention of disease if they can't also provide abortions because that's their main focus.....which again, I'm all in favor of. I'm just saying that lying about it isn't really going to fool anyone.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

But abortion doesn't receive public funding from the Federal Govt. Cutting funds to planned parenthood is cutting funds that only go to services other than abortion.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hate these threads. You know why? Because the Rabid Right tell one lie after another about the organization, which has been providing critical services to the women of this country for decades. Have any of you Rabid Right liars ever been inside a Planned Parenthood clinic? Ever taken a woman there to get birth control or one of the other numerous services the clinics provide that actually reduce the number of abortions, which are a small percentage of what they do? No?

Then you might consider educating yourself from sources other than those of the Rabid Right, and stop being liars. You might even feel better about yourself. Being a liar and an extremist can be bad for your digestion, or so I have heard.

bnb and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure that's what they say, but given that it goes into the same pot with the rest of their funds, it's kind of hard to say for sure. Also, there's nothing wrong with public funds being withheld if they continue providing a service that people don't want to fund organizations that provide. The fact that Planned Parenthood would rather not receive any funds at all than to stop providing abortions kind of tells you what their main priority is.

And as I've said many times, I'm a huge fan of abortion, I think they provide an absolutely amazing service to the community when it comes to crime prevention alone so it's not like I want them to stop. I'm just saying that I fully understand why people who are against it wouldn't want their money to go to organizations that provide that service. Agreeing to the demands of the people is just part of being a parasite living off of public funds. If Planned Parenthood wants to keep the funds flowing, they should stop providing the abortions. Since there's a huge demand for it, another organization will take up the mantle of being an abortion mill while Planned Parenthood can keep up their women's health services off of the people's dime. Everyone's happy.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You SHOULD hate these threads because as a Planned Parenthood apologist you'll get destroyed every single time it comes up. Trust me, I'm probably more pro abortion than anyone else on these boards and even I know that they aren't being picked on when public funds are being withheld due to their abortion services. When the public says essentially either provide abortions or get public money but you can't have both, Planned Parenthood can't whine because they want to do whatever they want and still have the public fund them. They aren't owed that money. If they want it, they need to do what is necessary to be given it.

It's just some weird leftist idea that private organizations are "owed" the public's money no matter what.

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

You are right of course, ISIS has not killed anywhere near as many people as Planned Parenthood. My apologies. If you really believed your point about Planned Parenthood not funding abortions with taxpayer money, why would you have a problem with someone giving money to ISIS to help the poor anyway? It would be totally separate from the money they use to behead journalists, wouldn't it?
    It will mean I am not paying for abortions though.
    They won't have the fig leaf of their other services any more though, and as above, I won't be paying for abortions.
    It isn't fabricated, that is the nature of a fungible resource. If you and I each give Clutch $100, and he goes and buys tickets to a game for $80, food and drinks for $40, and souvenirs for $80, each of us have contributed to all of those things. Even if Clutch kept the money in two separate envelopes and paid for the ticket out of one, and the souvenirs out of the other and paid out of his wallet for food and drinks, depositing the remaining $20 in the bank, we both still contributed to all of those things, because money is fungible, it doesn't make any difference which envelope he pulls it out of (that is the accounting portion).
    Shouldn't everyone encourage just what I suggested then, that Planned Parenthood spin off their abortion practice (which is apparently self-funded, right?) and be able to still get those government checks to provide all of this health care to poor people. None of your issues would occur, because those services would still be provided. The only difference would be there are no abortions taking place at the health care clinics, and the abortion clinics would not be federally funded.

cml750 likes this.
  18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thank god the Rockets are playing. This forum is filled with idiocy. Buckets of ignorance. Loads of stupidity, driven by men who treat women like they don't deserve to make their own decisions about their own lives.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

So will we be defunding all hospitals and clinics that provide abortion services for fear some money might indirectly fund a legal procedure even though there are all sorts of reporting, regulations and paperwork to ensure it doesn't.

20. dmoneybangbang

Don't want to fund abortion then stop receiving tax free benefits for religious institutions. Sounds fair to me.