1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs fan says Rockets aren't contenders.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vivid, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Vivid

Vivid Member

Some of you may know that I contribute every once in a while to TexasTriangleTrio.com, a Texas sports blog. There are a lot of writers that are Mavs fans on TTT, so a lot of the NBA articles are about how the Mavs have a great future and stuff like that. However, one of them wrote "GSW, Cavs. Spurs. The rest of us." I feel like even though Rockets get some props, this is still the general sentiment with fans around the league. It motivated me to write a response article. Here is a piece I wrote comparing the Rockets to good ol' Texas BBQ. Would love for you guys to check it out, maybe help me out with ideas on what to write about next with the Rockets. It is a bit longer, so be warned!

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I wouldn't put the Spurs in that list. They just don't have the talent they once had.

IMO, it's "Cavs. Warriors. The rest of us." But out of the "rest," the Rockets have just as good of a chance as anyone.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think it's

"Cavs, warriors,
    Rockets, spurs,
    The rest of them... "

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, Mav fans are bunch of narcissists with unsupported arrogance and unstable mental states. With Dirk retiring, they would be collectively in a depression for a long time. Yawn, what else did they say?

5. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

Stopped reading at "Mavs fan"

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Not a very hot take. You could say that team A wont win the championship this year pretty much every year about any team and be right most of the time.

Mazulis, ribbit and Exiled like this.
  7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why care about what one person thinks?

Richie_Rich and Gakatron like this.
  8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

After careful consideration and crunching some numbers, I know why they feel this way. The reason is...

Dallas sucks.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who cares about anyone's opinion from south Oklahoma?

rhee, 13 in 33, Sadat X and 1 other person like this.
  10. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

You gotta put the clippers in the conversation too. You can't judge a team by its performance without its two best players.

Astrodome likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agree with this take. I know it sucks to hear, but in a 7 game series we would be significant underdogs still against the Warriors or the Cavs.

Williamson and BigMaloe like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They are closer to being bottom feeders than we are being contenders.

Remlap and saleem like this.
  13. bongman

bongman Member

Great job with the piece and enjoyed reading it. The article started off talking about Texas BBQ too much that I felt that I was reading a restaurant review and it took a while to get to your main point. As you mentioned, the beauty of BBQ is it's simplicity and it started off as too saucy :). Just my opinion.

I also do not subscribe to the idea of swapping 2 players as an argument for who is more valuable mainly because if the candidates play different positions, a Center will not be able to replace a guard and vice versa so this model will fail to extract valuable data. For my simple mind, since we are talking about who is most valuable to their team (not the best player argument), seems like the analogy of removing both players from their respective team and the one who has the lesser chance of winning has the MVP - might be more accurate.

The word "contender" is a very subjective as it can me differently for all of us. To me, anybody who qualifies in the playoffs is a contender. The Rockets/Knicks finals had the lowest seeded teams ever to reach the finals - 6th and 8th.

Keep em up Vivi and looking forward to your next.

Vivid likes this.
  14. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Nice, will sit and read

Jontro likes this.
  15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

The defense slips so much when Beverly is out of the lineup that the Spurs easily still have an edge over the Rockets. Heck without Beverly on the floor this team's defense slips far too much to be a contender.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

A lion doesn't concern itself with the opinion of sheep.

17. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Is anyone else really pissed that the mavs will get the #1 pick while we had to have #13-14 for many years in a row

18. eslate22

eslate22 Member

i like that you put the clutch fans c
    both teams were #2 seeds that year

bizzy045 likes this.
  19. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I was hoping for some Captain Jackass when I read the title of this thread.

13 in 33 and bizzy045 like this.
  20. TheresTheDagger

There's this thing called the lottery that says it ain't necessarily so.