1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[2017] Sam Dekker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Nov 3, 2016.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The recent Rob Horry threads jogged my memory and bring up an interesting comparison .

Do you guys think Dekker can be like Horry .

They are both a similar size , both posses similar athletisicm , and are somewhat similar on the skill front .

Both guys around 6'9" 220 entering the league .

Dekker reminds me of this guy . He's a throwback player . Moves without the ball and just plays solid, fundamental basketball .

Obviously the major separator is the clutch gene and we will have to wait and see if Dekker has it . He has shown glimpses and has hit big shots so far for us this year in the golden state game .

Interesting comparison or am I off my rocker ? I'm a young guy so I didn't get to see Horry play , but I've watched old vids and the comparison seems justified / a hopeful ceiling for Sam .

Both taken in the same range of the draft too .

2. bongman

bongman Member

Physically similar but might be different mentally. Horry was not known to be focused during regular season but turned on the switch come playoff time. Dekker is all out every single game.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good Comparison

Rocket River

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I dont think so...Horry's length was a huge advantage for him early on when it came to rebounds, steals, blocks, and even dunking/finishing. Dekker doesn't have that advantage.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Decker looks pretty long to me. And definitely leaps and bounds more athletic than Horry was even during the Championship '94. He might have slightly longer arms but Horry was overlisted just like his buddy Thorpe. Both are like 6'8.5" while Hakeem was 6'10.

6. jae713

jae713 Member

It's been a while since I've seen Horry play but I don't remember him being as agile and mobile as Decker.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sam is showing a lot of mobility even while not shooting the 3s well of late.

Are we observing the increasing urbanization of Sam Dekker?

Shroopy2 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

its so easy to root for him he hustles his ass off and plays smart high iq basketball

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You obviously did not see Horry his 1st years in the league

Rocket River

D-rock, wouldabeen23 and DudeWah like this.
  10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Yeah, Will Smiff could move back in the day.

11. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

This.. seems like a heck of a kid

DudeWah likes this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I've noticed that Dekker will try to get every offensive rebound. He does not take a play off which is why he is playing. If there is a hard worker, he is the head of the class for the Rockets.

D-rock and DudeWah like this.
  13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Dekkers wingspan is 6'10 and Horrys was close to 7'3 I believe..that's pretty significant.

#373 RV6, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    D-rock, Chamillionaire and DudeWah like this.
  14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

His play does remind me of Horry, but the difference is Dekker finish plays. Horry, if I remember correctly is at times lackadaisical.

15. opticon

opticon Member

Your doing it wrong.
    You accidentally compared a white player to a black player.

Don't you mean Dekker is more like Chase Budinger or Ryan Bowen with a shot or even Wally Szczerbiak.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. Rocketeer Bang

I am very happy with Dekker's play so far this season, but people are wrong to think he's in the same league as Horry when Horry first entered the league. Horry was a day 1 starter as a rookie. He solidified the SF position for the Rockets the minute he got drafted. Horry was long, played good D, hustled for loose ball, sacrificed his body, and can shoot from long range. He was a great complement to both Thorpe and Hakeem. The three combined to form one of the best front courts in the league.

Dekker has a long way to go before he can be compared to Horry.

D-rock, Richie_Rich and RasaqBoi like this.
  17. dram1

dram1 Member

We can seriously talk about comparing Dekker and Horry when Dekker gets 10 dunks in one game. And these were not alley-oops dunks...this was coming straight down the lane and dunking on EVERYONE stuff. I believe it was 1992 Christmas Day vs the Suns. We lost it, but he was fun to watch.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Robert Horry, the Rockets version and not the bulkier LA/SA version, would wreck havoc in today's NBA.

D-rock likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Last night Brent Barry pointed out how lucky Dekker was to play with Ryan Anderson who can be his mentor since they are so much alike.

WTF? They are nothing alike aside from being white. LOL

kevtse and dram1 like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Barry brothers are atrocious at color commentary / analysts