1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA has to have a serious talk with Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwert, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that the Rockets (#2 in the NBA in assists right now), or James Harden (league leader in assists), are too ball dominant to win a championship. But, you're going to have to do better if you want to continue with that narrative.

roslolian, DonKnock and YallMean like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Proof? or Yule C? I assume the latter?

#302 J Sizzle, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Are we saying league assist leader doesn't like to share the ball? SMH

Oh, well, I am convinced that we are talking to a bunch of kids here. Never mind, carry on.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

It's one thing refusing to share the ball and refusing to share the franchise/team with other superstar is another. Not that I think Harden doesn't want to share the franchise

YallMean likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Don't you think if you switch Brewer for a good shooter we are No 1 seed now?

kevtse likes this.
  6. YallMean

YallMean Member

JVG would say whatever works for him to get those assists, he should keep doing that. :)

In every off season, Harden lobbied hard to get superstar free agents to come to Houston. That's just well documented. You see the look on his face when Gordon sinks a improbable three from distance or makes a pretty move to the basket. He genuinely enjoys the success of his teammates and the team. Is he ball dominant? Sure, especially when he has to make it happen. When Dwight was here, I didn't see he had a problem dumping the ball to the post. Harden is a team player. The notion that Harden doesn't like to share the spotlight is ... a lazy thought possibly unconsciously influenced by the Geogre Karl's comments on Melo.

#306 YallMean, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    roslolian, Patience and hakeem94 like this.
  7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Oh my god. Holic being a contrarian again just for the sake of being a contrarian. Quite the argumentative personality.

8. alethios

alethios Member

If being ball-dominant means leading the league in assists, then I'm fine with that. For the sake of argument, we have played the good teams better this season than last. If we clean up our act in the 4th quarter, there's not going to be many losses this season.

9. basketballholic

I wish. But no. Not unless that guy is also a premier interior defender and rebounder and a great playmaker besides. We ain't getting all that for Brewer. We need:

1. A primary playmaker that is more efficient at distribution than Harden is.

2. A big time 5 that locks down the defensive paint.

3. One more great perimeter 3&D guy.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. basketballholic

No.

I'm saying the league assist leader HATES sharing the basketball.

Assists don't mean dude shares the basketball. That's high school thought process there.

11. basketballholic

Actually I don't. Yule C.

Check out @RealSkipBayless's Tweet:

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Who cares? If Hardens merely sees assists as a means to get brand and game recognition, which I don't believe, then at least we are 5th in the league.

13. basketballholic

I care. I want to win championships, not watch Harden fumble the ball away at an all time rate while putting up selfish numbers and taking us to fifth or fourth or third or second. I ain't interested in also-ran status with staggering stats. I want rings. We're not going to ever get there playing this way and continuously building our roster to entice Harden to stay and keep running us down the tunnel to nowhere.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

He doesn't like sharing primary scoring or playmaking duties (which is good because he shouldn't with this roster). He shares the basketball just fine by way of creating uncontested looks for his teammates. Believe it or not, having a guy who creates those easy looks for his teammates is a good thing, especially when so many of said teammates struggle to create their own shot.

But sure, forget context, just b****, b****, b****. Get back to harping about his turnovers too, even though the team's TOV% of 14.1 is hardly catastrophic (and in fact plenty of championship teams turned the ball over with an equal or greater level of frequency).

15. basketballholic

7 turnovers.

Let's not forget context.

Those turnover numbers from our primary playmaker in the playoffs will put us to sleep.

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Haha

Holic quoted Skip Bayless

That is poetic

Tha_Dude, justtxyank and hakeem94 like this.
  18. dwert

dwert Member

FIFY

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Correction: just 5.5 TOs. Get your facts straight.

Also TOs are just one part of the game, what about the 26 pts and 11.9 assists? Will that put us to sleep too? You gotta stop with the "harden is selfish", "Harden is TO prone" story line it doesn't make any sense in the big picture. If the Rox turn the ball so much and Harden is so selfish he doesn't want to share the ball or play with superstars how come he is the assist leader, the Rox are 2nd in assist with Harden getting ridiculously high usage rating and the Rox are 3rd seed in the NBA?

You don't even have any proof to show as your basis, any evidence to show Harden hates playing with stars! If he hates playing with stars so much how come he joins the Olympics where every player top to bottom is a superstar? He hates sharing the ball but he only takes 18.4 attempts a game, the same amount as noted ball sharer Lebron James and way below the league's worst ball hog Westbrick at 24 attempts a game. So he has a high usage rate but doesn't take a high amount of shots, why doesn't he want to share the ball then if he's not taking shots does he just want to hug the ball the maximum amount of time? LOL you make no sense and YuLe C doesn't cut it. This is all a roundabout way of you saying the Rox should trade for Rubio because Rubio will take the playmaking off Harden's hands and make him the off-the-ball-scorer, that's just wrong on so many levels with the main issue being Rubio's disastrous shooting ability. How about Rubio improves his 28.8% 3 pt shooting first before you consider him on the Rockets?

I like a lot of your posts, you really put a different perspective on things and some of the stuff you said before were spot on. But you are way totally off base here Holic, all the facts are contradicting what you're saying. If the water scalds your tongue when you drink it you can't say it's ice cold c'mon dude.

#319 roslolian, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we lost 6 2-possession games , dont you think a good shooter creates more spaces for harden to operate efficiently and scores more points than brewer ie giving us 6 more wins, that is, making us 1st seed?