1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden has to stop playing heroball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Dec 20, 2016.

1. wise_man

wise_man Member

I would rather had the second unit play the entire last 5 mins. Sam

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't blame Harden's "heroball" for this loss. I blame it on a combination of luck/clutch shots/good coaching by Pop/and Gordon's ill-advised three point shot with 22 seconds on the shot clock and like 1:14 left in the game. Regardless, we had that game in the bag, which is promising considering we don't have Capela and he is a huge part of our defense and rebounding.

I was disappointed we collapsed, but encouraged that we hung in there all game and had such a good lead with just 3 minutes left. We'll learn from this.

3. RESINator

RESINator Member

It's not like the Spurs were balling as well last night. Their starters struggled especially Kawhi and LMA on the offensive end

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Except, he didn't say that.

Here is what he said

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/teams/rockets/2016/12/21/1482293355282-122016harden-1053996

Here is a quick transcript @ 30 second mark.

Interviewer: Last two minutes, is there a propensity to play the clock a little more that you had been?

Harden: We just turned the ball over and didn't make shots, simple.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If that is true then everything he never learned from in past playoffs and all the close games we lost might have finally clicked off a bell in his head. I sure hope he does decide to stop changing the way we played all game to get ahead, into stupid play for the last 2 minutes. Maybe he will change. I hope so, but am not gonna believe it until I see it.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  6. DuDDleyDawsonII

They should iso Ego sometimes late in the game. He's got a sick handle and a very quick first step. He's a very good 1 on 1 player.

ilovehtownbb and 18pbr like this.
  7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats like saying Aaron Rodgers can just walk away from center laughing, let the play clock run out on purpose not even caring to run the play cuz "SH** - I'm Aaron F'in RODGERS!"

It puts player above TEAM situations. SITUATIONAL BALL is different than merit. In tight ball games it means its ALL about execution, no WASTED possessions. It doesnt matter WHAT was done to get there, can score 63 points, its play-by-play after that and the team that falls asleep loses

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

He really needs to stop playing hero ball. I mean he has 3 points on 1-2 shooting with 7 assists. Selfish basketball from him is killing this team.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Don't make ridiculous straw-man arguments, man.

It's tacky.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  10. nickb492

"James Harden already has 7 assists in this game so he had at least 7 assists in the first 30 games, only John Stockton is the only other NBA player in history to have at least 7 assists in the first 30 games in a season"

-Matt Bullard

F this thread

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Again, missing the point.

You're arguing stuff no one is disagreeing with. We all already appreciate what he's doing.

Cashmoney likes this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The Spurs played hero ball with Leonard. Lol

They got bailed out by our TOs

We had a bad game and should have won. We gave the Spurs that game.

13. nickb492

Im arguing what he does in the last couple of minutes of the game does not compare to what he does the rest of the game. One play doesn't lose the game. The team lost the last game. The team almost lost to Minnesota. The team almost lost to Thunder, Celtics and whoever else. Even when he has had a bad game he contributes. No one else is doing that. He wasn't the sole reason they have lost. That is what I'm arguing.

14. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

When games get tight, you tend to revert to old tendencies and habits. Harden will continue to grow as a PG and will learn to trust his teammates more in crunch time as the year progresses.

Transforming to the mindset of a PG isnt an easy task, but Harden has made it look fun as hell. Dantoni will get him there, just gotta give them more time.

hakeem94 and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

There's a lot of knee jerk reaction to Harden good or bad.

He's fine no player is perfect.

Lebron messed up in clutch for 9 straight years, Hell he still does and he's maybe the 2nd best player of all time.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Teams with good records in close situations tend to have someone who can play hero ball in late game situations, it's not pretty, but it's awfully effective, has been for a long time, likely will continue to be for a long time.

17. nickb492

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

how are people denying that harden just stands there and holds the ball, jacking up a bullshit three at the end of the clock? you'd have to be stupid not to see that.

DudeWah, hakeem94 and ilovehtownbb like this.