1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's the worst basketball columnist?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by iOrange, Oct 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

HA?

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

The same thing's been said about Horry.

But didn't Kenny average something along the lines of 17/7 for the season in 92-93?

I've always liked Kenny.

3. intermill

intermill Contributing Member

He gets my vote.

4. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

Chad is awful, but Terry Brown is worse.

To clinch this award for Terry, I have to go back to June 2000, when he & Ford were still doing NBAtalk. At that time, the Warriors traded Jason Caffey to the Bucks in a 3-way deal for Bob Sura (the Cavs got Tractor Traylor and JR Reid, whose contracts expired in 2002 vs. Sura's 2004 and Caffey's 2005).

Brown felt the Bucks had gotten their long-sought starting PF and crowed that George Karl had "made two teams bend over and grab their ankles."

He said this about Jason Caffey, mind you.

As a GS fan who'd seen Caffey play the preceding year, I jotted this down mentally as the single most uninformed basketball comment I'd ever seen outside an ESPN message board.

The Bucks just waived Caffey last week with 2 years and more than $10 million left on his contract.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

xiki -- you and i live on two different sports planets entirely.

i love how you disregard hitting big shots in the playoffs..."yeah...no big deal." meanwhile the current cast can't even get to the playoffs to see if they could hit a big shot. they're too busy losing to teams like denver down the stretch.

night....and....day.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

MadMax,

Shame on you. Fran didn't come up with Clutch City, the players and the team did. Fran just stole it for one of his columns after the win. :p

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Probably the same planet, after all -- but if you are in that high a regard about Kenny's nadless Rox years I have to believe the night and day part.

Had Harper and Smith been swapped for the Finals, Rox in 4.
    Had Harper and Smith been swapped period, the Rox go to the Finals in '93 and their run could have been Bullsesque.

Had the Rox had a good 1 in the 90s the decade would have been so awesome.

Yet, I like Kenny. I just don't have very many great KS/Rox memories.

The best one, tho? Meeting Kenny's dad at breakfast after the 2nd title. Mr Smith was wearing one of Kenny's rings and was the proudest papa in America. Neat.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'll give you that the guy didn't play a lick of defense.....but he hit big shots in the playoffs. And he was certainly pissed about the Choke City title...hell, i'd give anything for even one player on this current squad to get pissed and go out to do something about it.

9. haven

haven Member

I think I'd have to go with Blinebury, though I'm sure there are worse ones out there in smaller papers.

It isn't even the awful metaphors that get me.

You know how announcers can be beating a player/coach/team up all game, then they make a couple of big plays, get back in the game, and can't stop jocking them?

Fran Blinebury absolutely typifies that. And as a columnist, he even has the advantage of not having to talk off the cuff. He's always OTT, either way, and his columns always overplay silly emotional angles.

10. droxford

droxford Member

Agreed

-- droxford

11. x_trepidation_x

Agreed, Deveney has horrible articles. His analysis is taken from sound clips from ESPN SportsCenter as well as TNT's group. Does this guy ever produce an original idea?

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Present Houston Chronicle Reporter that writes on the Rockets- please bring Eddie Sefco back !

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Sefko is good. He's in Dallas writing the Mavs beat these days. Nice guy.

He came to talk to a journalism class I was taking at UH a couple years ago. He some great stories, many of which were the result of his friendship with Charles Barkley. One time Barkley grabbed him before a game and said, "After the game, you're flying with me and Maloney on a private jet to Las Vegas." Sefko, of course, told Barkley that he was insane and that there's no way his boss (or wife) was going to let him go to Vegas that night. Barkley sweetened the deal by adding the fact that MICHAEL JORDAN was also going to be on the jet with them. This was after all the gambling addiction allegations had been thrown around. Needless to say, Sefko got on that plane at the end of the game and had an awesome adventure and story for the paper.

Is it any wonder I wanted to be a reporter?

14. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

Stephen A. Smith AKA Stephen A. Hole from the Philly Inquire.