1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. dwert

dwert Member

I prefer Paul George, but who doesn't

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj:
    One player who will have to move is Rudy Gay. Kings can't allow him to walk for nothing. OKC got down to the wire before Cameron Payne's injury. Teams interested in Gay: Oklahoma City, Indiana, Houston has had periphery interest. I don't think they have the pieces to trade.

Kings are struggling with - what can we get back? He's going to opt out, anyone who trades for him wants a good idea they can sign him but be prepared to pay $18M-$20M at least.
    • Teams have been calling Indiana, asking about Paul George and the answer is absolutely, positively no. He is not available. There are no conversations to be had. Don't even make offers to us. We're not moving Paul George. George has another year left on his deal. He can be a free agent in 2018. Indiana's mindset is to continue to try & build around George & Myles Turner and find a combo around there that will get George to want to sign & stay there. They're open for business on everyone else.
    • Sacramento hasn't shown any inclination yet on DeMarcus Cousins. He's not a free agent until 2018.
    • One player who will have to move is Rudy Gay. Kings can't allow him to walk for nothing. OKC got down to the wire before Cameron Payne's injury. Teams interested in Gay: Oklahoma City, Indiana, Houston has had periphery interest. I don't think they have the pieces to trade.
    • Kings are struggling with - what can we get back? He's going to opt out, anyone who trades for him wants a good idea they can sign him but be prepared to pay $18M-$20M at least.
    • In addition to Rudy Gay, Ben McLemore, Kosta Koufos - Kings have been talking to teams about. McLemore will be a restricted free agent next summer. Teams are intrigued. He needed a good environment and it's not been that there. Teams are trying to figure out how much is the player, how much is the environment. Those are the kind of guys out there right now.
    • Clippers are in a tough spot. They've tried to find a small forward but have no assets. Their roster makes it hard to do a deal.
    • Raptors have a good blend of all-star veterans, productive starters, a good bench & interesting young players & draft picks. If they can find a player who can fortify them against Cleveland, they may give up a pick & young guy. What they're finding is that player isn't necessarily available despite their motivation to go out and invest. They can be opportunistic.
    • Golden State's mindset is we're not doing any deal that makes us even 1% less likely to win a title. Iguodala is an interesting player for them. If Durant opts out & signs with his bird rights, it'd be hard to pay him (&Shaun Livingston) his market value. He's so important to that environment & team. They'll ride out the season with him. Golden State would like a rim protector but they know no one is giving those away & the price they'd have to pay, you just don't want to mess that thing up. They're landlocked right now. I think they stand pat.
    • Another team that will have a difficult decision to make is Miami with Goran Dragic. They gave up two first round picks for him. Where is Miami right now? They're caught in that in-between place. They have to look with Dragic. Look to see what they could get & is it enough to move him? Try to get at least one pick back but you're accepting you made a mistake. You're saying we shouldn't have done this deal.
    • One team I think you can't talk about a trade in the league right now if you're a team without calling Denver. They have an interesting mix of veterans with value (Galinari, Chandler, Faried), great group of young players(Mudiay, Nurkic, Jokic), they have picks going forward. Tim Connelly is aggressive. They went hard after Dwyane Wade. They want a star player there. They're not afraid to cash in some assets. Is that star available to them? They're an interesting team for anyone wanting to do a deal. There's talent there. Record may not show it but speaking to people around the league, they love the infrastructure there. I think they'll be part of every significant conversation in the league. You have to be calling them right now.
    • Portland is another team looking at the long view. That payroll got jacked up this summer. They did sign Evan Turner. They had to overpay to keep Allen Crabbe. Mo Harkless was signed to an extension. Portland has assets. They have tradeable assets on good contracts. They can be patient. Ezeli has not yet gotten healthy. That's a team with a lot of assets but there's no one trade to make to catch Golden State, San Antonio or even the Clippers. They can be patient. Allen Crabbe at $18M, I don't know they'll go 4 years with him. You had to match the offer sheet. Next year, someone like Brooklyn, who signed him to the offer sheet, who needs a 2-guard. Maybe you move Crabbe then to get value. Blazers are positioned well to keep building around this core, make some decisions about who they want to go forward with and who they want to move out.
    • Other names available:
      • Greg Monroe (is there a taker there? They did have talks with New Orleans, nothing gone done there)
      • Nerlens Noel (the research teams have done on him is not good. They don't get good reports back on their intel of how he's carried himself there, his habits. It's not a great return. There are teams willing to do a deal but they're not willing to give up much. At some point, Philly has to make a decision.)
      • Suns are interesting. Brandon Knight, P.J. Tucker, maybe even Tyson Chandler. They have some veterans. They have a good, young group. The Suns are a team that have decisions to make. Is ownership willing to take a half step back? They're not a playoff team & weren't going to be. There's decent value around Brandon Knight.
    • Boston is back where they always are. Danny wants to do a deal. I think they've...I don't want to say underachieved because they were missing Horford & Olynyk. They have good younger players, draft picks they can put in deals & veterans that hold some interest. I do wonder sometimes if they might overvalue some players they have compared to what the rest of the league sees. Marcus Smart might be starting to fall into that category. His name has been in talks previously & have been cautious what they'll give him up for. Danny wants that big star. Horford was a big play & great get. They can still keep their eye on Gordon Hayward. Strong hope in Utah he'll want to stay there. Gordon likes playing for Quin Snyder & the organization. Boston has to keep their eye on that. Can they make a run at him? Will he definitely re-sign or might he look around? Boston has to weigh all that with what kind of deal they try to get themselves involved with between now & the deadline.
    • Brooklyn will not give Brook Lopez away. Is there a team that will give up two firsts or a first(good first, not late) & young player? Can you get that much for Lopez on the market? League is different. Teams don't play through a player like Brook now the way maybe even 5 years ago they did. ... I think Brook is so unique. Think of how many coaches, programs he's been through & times nearly traded. He comes to work, same guy, same personality. They value that in Brooklyn. He's rolled with everything.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah i can totally see Bird and Vivek trying their best to keep George and Boogie as long as they can...maybe next summer they'll listen but not now.

About Gay i don't know, but i don't think he'll end up here, other teams probably just want and need him more than us (OKC).

Lol at Doc

Toronto is in a good place but we'll see, i'm not a great fan of Masai.

I can see Pat moving Goran but he's not playing that well so, i'm not sure how many teams are willin to give up more than a pick at this point, i can see Pat going after both Paul and Griffin this summer though, so i think he'll try to move Dragic. Whiteside-Griffin-Winslow-Richardson-Paul would be a great starting 5 in the east.

I totally disagree with Woj on the Blazers, i really don't see what assets they have, Crabbe imo is a bad contract, the only good assets they have is Plumlee which is also one of their 3 best players, if they move him (and i don't really think he has that great value anyway) they won't be able to take back a star...Harkless and Aminu are ok but not that good. Other teams have a better situation overall to acquire a star via trade.

I kinda agree about Boston though, i really don't value their players that much, and in 15/18 months Thomas, Smart, Bradley are going to get paid, after that they won't even be cheap like they are today...

Don't know what to think about Brook, i like the guy too but i'm not a fan of the player, also big injuries in his career...he's also expiring, pretty laughable if they're asking two 1st rounders or a good one with a good young player imo.

BigMaloe, FANfrom86toNow and ilias like this.
  4. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

http://dlvr.it/MtXYm8

Rockets and Thunder still interested in Gay

Didn't realize the same quotes were the ones already posted so my mistake

5. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

hmm I want the rockets to get him now for the thunder dint get him and get more wins than us amd makes russel westbrook mvp case better lol

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I wonder what Gallo of Wilson chandler would cost

JamalP. likes this.
  7. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Wilson chandler would be great

8. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

He's the kind of player that can make a good team better. I don't know about Gay

9. Nivos

Nivos Member

Can the Rockets take his salary at all? Just don't see why the Rocket are interested unless they are willing to move Rian Anderson which seems like a much better fit for us...

10. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

rudy gay has an option

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Sewer and KJ for Gay. Let's do this!

robbie380 likes this.
  12. sakkreth

sakkreth New Member

It's a good trade for building the team, because once you acquire Rudy Gay you start sucking, but then you trade him and become really good team(better than before acquiring Rudy Gay). Thing is teams will want to get Rudy Gay from you because then they can trade him too and become a better team.

13. Nivos

Nivos Member

What does that mean? Can we take his salary without getting rid of Anderson? How would that work on the cap? Talking about this year, not the next...

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

Rockets are rolling right now and I think the players all fit nicely. Not sure what we could get of value with the scraps we would want to dump. I could see Bird being interested in a guy like Dekker but it would take several key pieces to pull someone like Paul George out of their hands. I hope they don't view him with as much as value as we put on Harden. He is an excellent player but I don't think Top 10. We still need another star who can carry the offense when Harden sits and that is the only piece I would be looking to trade for with the offense clicking like it is. No need to take a lateral move that on the surface might slightly increase our defensive or offensive efficiency but then again may not gel with the remaining team or be able to grasp the offense and cause the chemistry to deteriorate. In my opinion, Big Acquisition or nothing. Rudy Gay is not a big acquisition.

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I'd still love to get Tyson chandler from phoenix somehow.

Maybe they have interest in Brooke and we can work a 3way while dumping Brewer as well.

Something based around

Houston out: Brewer/kj/1st
    Houston in: tyson

Phoenix out: Tyson/Len
    Phoenix in: Brooke

Brooklyn out: Brooke
    Brooklyn in: brewer/kj/Len/1st

I think adding Chandler would do absolute wonders for not only our bench but the development of capela and should be a great fit in the locket room

Jatman20 likes this.
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I don't believe Rudy Gay or Nerlens Noel bring back First Rd picks on their own. Cousins on the other
    hand probably does. Personally I would trade for x Noel or Rudy; but I would like another player or two in return. As a result the "other" team would have to take some fringe rotation player(s)
    the Rockets have. I'm not a fan of Rudy Gay as I see him as a poor-man's Carmelo Anthony.
    I make the deal because he has learned how to pass the ball in the past two yrs. I would like
    Willie Cauley-Stein w/Rudy. Kings do not use WCS correctly. They tend to play him at PF
    next to Cousins & he looks uncomfortable in his role. WCS would get more blocks and
    rebounds in Houston's system w/his role defined....depending on mins. Capela could get
    up to 30 mins w/WCS getting most of the remaining 18 mins. Rudy would probably be
    allowed to do his Iso thing when Harden goes out. Looking at Rudy's game I can see
    him prospering in PnR. Especially with the Rockets outside shooting. Of course Rudy
    Gay would be a rental....WCS would be under contract longer.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudy Gay can become a free agent this offseason and has openly suggested he isn't interested in re-signing with the Sacramento Kings.

"The one player who is going to have to move between now and the trade deadline is Rudy Gay," said Wojnarowski. "I don't think the Kings can make the same mistake New Orleans made last year with Ryan Anderson. Ryan Anderson was pretty clear he was not going to re-sign there and they lost him for nothing. Especially for a team so devoid of assets, they couldn't let him walk for nothing.

"Oklahoma City got down to the wire before Cameron Payne's injury (trading for Gay).

There are several teams with interest in trading for Gay.

"There's no question Oklahoma City. Indiana has had interest in him. Houston has had some peripheral interest. I don't think they have the pieces to trade."

18. hakeemthagreat

No use in having Capela AND Chandler. The way Capela's changing I'm not trading him unless I'm getting a minimal borderline superstar

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'd absolutely take Chandler if there was a buyout situation, but not taking his current contract and not trading value pieces.

Vivi and vtjsr2 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No thank you...