1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Team Defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Nov 19, 2016.

?

Can this team have a top 15 defense?

1. Yes

107 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Not even top 20

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Excellent answer. I couldn't have explained it better.

2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

One reason I push Nerlens Noel is because he may be ok with approx half a game. He played 29 mins/gm
    last season. Caps & Noel approx 24 mins each. They mirror each other as far as things they would
    do in D'Antoni's system. There really is no room for Nerlens in Philly with Embiid/Okafor/Saric/Ilyasova.
    Noel had a block % of 5% in 14/15 and 3.9% in 15/16. The defense "can" improve with good interior defense
    for the entire 48 min + any overtime. The perimeter defenders can stay at home or help....Bzdelik can give
    an indicator as far as when to mix it up and keep the defense off balance.

Side note: Capela is currently 5.7% block %. Looking at him on YouTube...would fit well.
    I don't know the price; but he is my trade target.

D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Oh, also it helps that Beverley is back and that we play more home games. Team defense worsens
    as Brewer plays. Brewer has always been decent to good in transition Off/Def....except last yr.
    I don't have the stats in front of me; but it seems like the pace is better with Harrell over Nene.
    I love me some Nene.....but the Rockets may need an upgrade for serious contention.

#83 Jatman20, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. Nivos

Nivos Member

I don't know the situation with D-mo but to be honest if his on the team I'm happy with our big rotation. Very versatile to any kind of play. Wouldn't give too much for Noel. I know it's a blasphemy with being Rockets and all but I wouldn't push for any trade. Just try and run this core to do better and better. Especially in the defensive end we can see how good we are when playing strong defense. We have the tools to play even better.

5. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I know what you mean. After last year and the disaster that was 15/16 the Rockets this year are a rebuild
    without a total tear down to the ground rebuild. It's excellent of them to be so good so fast. I see
    weaknesses in the team that won't haunt the Rockets in the regular season; but willl in a 7 game series
    after the 1st rd. Before the season I predicted the Rockets at 58 wins (+/-2 games) barring
    major injuries. The Rockets hit that win clip/pace with last nights win. I saw all the indicators of the Rockets
    winning this year in the regular season. The trades I propose are of guys (Rox) out of the rotation for players
    that can shore up depth or areas of weakness. Looking at the schedule I'm hoping the Rockets will be
    21-7 by the time they face the Spurs if I saw the schedule correctly. Beggars can't be choosers....I'm
    fine with the Rockets beating the first rd team and then getting bounced. As we all know the playoffs
    are a different beast from the regular season. It's just this team is so close now. It puts the Rockets in
    good shape leading into this summer to figure out which FA's or draft picks to pursue. Tyler Ennis and
    Nene are FA's this summer and may leave. Payton II can step up to the roster now. The Rockets
    may never get this close again. A Rudy Gay/Willie Caulie Stein or Noel puts us over the top in my
    opinion this year. Teams can't trade 1st rd picks in consecutive yrs (Lawson trade) so Houston
    can't trade this yrs first rd pick. Second rd picks may be irrelevant the next few yrs. So I might
    see Rox first 17/18 as available. Looking at the 76ers comments online....their fans are hoping
    to get anything for Noel. That his offense is limited (perfect for Houston), that they have no room
    for him with Okafor/Embiid/Saric/Ilyasova/& Simmons back next yr or later this yr (teams know
    they need to deal him...no leverage), injury history, that they may be lucky to get a second rd. I would
    inquire to see what the team wants. Of course I wouldn't trade any rotation guys like Ariza.

#85 Jatman20, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    D-rock and ramotadab like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

#1 Offense, Above average D would get you very far.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Where are we ranked now?

ramotadab likes this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Up to 20 on BREF adjusted DRTG.

9. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

MorningZippo and TheRealAllpro like this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I feel like we have a very solid defense.

We have shown an ability to be able to stop teams when the game is on the line.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We're better the last few games, but Harden is still being picked on a bit and so is Capela. Kanter ate us alive inside. We could use an intimidating post defender. Trade Brewer and KJ for Bogut?

HighlightReel likes this.
  12. mclawson

mclawson Member

What's our 4th quarter defense look like since the return of The Wolverine? Seems like we have really been able to clamp down a lot more in the 4th over that span, but that's just the eye test talking.

13. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

That will be a great idea. He's the kind of player we need the most. He and Capela can share minutes. Tyson Chandler would work too.

14. Nivos

Nivos Member

Actually it's pretty much the same in defensive ratings numbers. #10 in the league in 4th quarter defensive ratings before and after Beverly came back.
    What changed is Net ratings which is #5 in 4th quarters since Beverly returned, and #27 before. That's a huge change.

mclawson likes this.
  15. mclawson

mclawson Member

That feels about right, even with our woes in OKC. Thanks for the info!

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nice defensive possession, but the air ball unfortunately allowed Adams to get the "rebound" and a foul.
    JVG talks about Bev's defense on that play

Brewer with the perfect Team Defense. Allows Capela to let defender thru, and stops the cutting Big, then still recovers to block the corner three

DonKnock and Nivos like this.
  17. Nivos

Nivos Member

Thanks, I love the clips you post. I've been meaning to ask you to put some nice defensive plays here. There were a few good ones, were getting better of being aggressive after switches, I think that was the biggest difference from the start where the switches were very passive and soft.
    It'll be great to see some of Harden's good defensive playes, he had quite a few recently

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden has upped his defensive intensity quite noticeably this season which isn't talked about a lot but has been a good addition. He still does sometimes give up on defense, especially during fastbreak, and he wasn't doing the best job against Westbrook.

Bev has been the biggest plus so far on defense. He has made things so much more difficult for opposing PGs and basically just anyone in general.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Would Philly take Brewer, Ennis and rights to Llull for Noel and Covington?

20. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The Rockets have proven they can play good defense, at least for stretches of the game. They beat Boston with their defense, Golden State and OKC are other examples where our defense won the game for the Rockets. Will we be ranked as a top 15 defense this year? Probably not. But, as long as we play it at the right segments of the game we won't need to be since our offense can usually carry us.

It will be interesting to see how well they're playing defense when the playoffs start. If we move into the top 15 or the top 10 then I think we're looking at a team that has a legit chance to win a championship.

#100 Tha_Dude, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    DonKnock and Nivos like this.