1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Mo failed his physical.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Joel Blank and the Demo

Nice band name.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This doesn't make sense to me. If you want him on the Inactive List, just put him on it. It's the team's prerogative,,,Wiltjer and Onuaku are currently on the Inactive List.

As for the word loop-hole, what loop hole do you need if "they want a year out of DMo to see if he can play." This is a pay-as-you-go contract like none other before.

[​IMG]

Man, I don't like this discussion, if it becomes about loop holes. Too dramatic given the team-friendly contract, already.

@Codman Just my opinion, but that word doesn't sound CBA-related to me. Their CBA options are clear: You can void for failure to pass physical examination and make him RFA again (see my previous post on this), but why would you do that on such a team-friendly contract -- essentially 3 years of team option -- and risk a worse contract. Or just pay-as-you-go :confused:

My guess:
    The team is allowed to request all physical records pertinent to evaluating ability to perform a physical job at a high level. That's spelled out in the CBA. Player can't lie or mislead or withhold/hide existing records concerning his ability to perform. So, maybe it is just as simple as physician is waiting on records from another physician. And maybe not the Nets. Maybe in his examination interview, DMo mentioned getting a second-opinion on his own, so Rockets say "Oh, really. We'd like to see that." The only unscrupulous "loop hole" idea I can come up with is they want to do the Yr 1 "Body Scan" now in order to save $1m in bonus for the 2017 cap. I'm going with something simpler like paperwork.​

Plus, I'm putting a lot of stock in Joel Blank's tweets that DMo "Liked" quoted him as saying "not medical condition" related.

There is an agreement. It is clear in the CBA. It is the sole discretion of the team that is "buying" the player to decide if they want to keep him, and they get to name the physician. I don't really want to post the clauses, but can. I just think it will put undo focus on that they are actually considering voiding the contract. The only time a league/union-appointed physician is called for in the CBA (that I can find) is when a Team claims "career-ending injury", because that gives them rights to find a replacement player, which makes perfect sense. This isn't like that. You just say "no, we don't want the contract afterall, like voiding a trade."

I posted a few pages back the CBA clause on this. Apparently, we can void contract and keep his RFA right. But I think that's a dumb thing to do given how team-friendly this contract is.

#502 heypartner, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Vivi and craguin like this.
  3. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This is the one that made me think he hadn't been examined.

Hence, not a medical reason

Snow Villiers likes this.
  4. kevtse

kevtse Member

Sign and trade coming?

5. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Was Dmo on the inactive roster last night?

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If so, not of Dmo. He can't be traded until the summer. If he's even on the team in the first place.

7. omgTHEpotential

DMo said he came to work out, but they sent him home. I think he took the physical the day before.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I took that as meaning he showed up to Toyota Center thinking he had been cleared. He hadn't, so Rockets had to tell him to go home. There is actually a clause in the CBA saying players in limbo like this cannot physically be with the team -- no practices, no nothing. And pre-game practice/shootaround surely counts.

Too bad Les didn't let him sit with him courtside though. Would have loved to see camera shots of DMo after Dekker and Harrell's awesome plays. And better yet, an interview.

"We're courtside with DMo. DMo, welcome back. And how about that spin move by Dekker and nifty pass to Ryno, and fearless fastbreaking. And Harrell's 3-pointer, and high energy ... good lord. That's a lot of what you used to do, right."​

Batman Jones, hakeem94 and Vivi like this.
  9. craguin

craguin Member

Don't see Donatas' name in last nights' game book:
    Inactive: Mavericks - Barea, Nowitzki Rockets - Onuaku, Wiltjer
    [​IMG]

#509 craguin, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    heypartner, Vivi and OldYelllowDog like this.
  10. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

No he goes back to Nets, and there offer sheet.

11. omgTHEpotential

He can no longer go to the Nets for a full year.

Mazulis likes this.
  12. elainas

elainas Member

I'm still think it's temporary since no official news come up, but if he's not cleared Morey won't let him go to FA for sure. (by the way in RFA Utah had better offer than Brooklyn). Let's say DM don't want DMo due his back, are we sure, that Warriors/Cavs/Spurs.. just don't take a risk and throw a minimal value contract for his year for DMo (assuming he "fail physical") and DMo does not accept that.

13. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

My bad , just read Coon explanation...

14. omgTHEpotential

If I understand correctly, Morey can just ignore/waive the physical and clear DMo anyway. It would be a risk, but the Rockets don't have much to lose in this scenario. It's DMo who would be risking the most if he plays while not being ok physically.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

16. elainas

elainas Member

Yeah if he's not clear(by Detroit and now) it's so huge red flag for him...

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. omgTHEpotential

Sorry, I didn't get the reference.

19. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I think if he fails the physical and he becomes an unrestricted free agent then he can indeed sign with the Nets. I doubt he gets close to what he got because now he has the label of damaged goods on him and the demand from teams will be much lower.

I think the Rockets do not want him and now they just feel bad for him considering everything he's been through in the last year they have no idea what to do

it is why they are so quiet they do not know how to handle the situation. He failed his physical most likely and they won't even announce that because they do not want to damage his value.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tweet about it Mauri, like you always do. You know you want to.