1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D-Mo failed his physical.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Gadd

Gadd Member

So is there any official confirmation he has failed the physical? Or is it just "gathering more information" yet? Obviously, it means no good.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Morey agreed to a restructured contract and non-guarantee next year BEFORE the physical. They could have kept the physical requirement without negotiating all that. Plus it was Rockets that initiated lessening the contract to influence the holdout.

Its saying Morey only sweetened the incentives to bait D-Mo into the physical, only for purpose of failing him to void contract completely. ("I'm giving you want you want, just take this physical now and its done...haha PSYCHE! Gotchya ya bum!")

Giving Jazz half the money actually helps the Jazz, it's better they WASTE more cap money ruining their flexibility than sending them bargains.

Who knows the motives anymore but find that unlikely. Its just as likely that D-Mo never trusted his back to begin with, where he knows he's damaged goods squeezing every cent he can now treating this as his last NBA contract.

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

They may not intend to stick it to DMo, but they aren't about to let someone not show up for a physical after being matched in RFA go free. This precedent could bite them in future.

Morey isn't a nasty guy. He's traded players to places they want to go.

But if sticking it to DMo IS BUSINESS ... what other options does Morey have? Actually take on DMo knowing he doesn't want to be here? It is one thing to take a chance on DMo messing up the chemistry and delaying the development of Dekker/Harrel with the March 1 deadline for next year ... but another thing to take a chance on him when he doesn't want to come and wants to go to the Jazz.

4. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

It's July 15th. Not March 1st.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No offense, but Brandon Bass can't play center.

The Rockets have to do what they think is right, but make no mistake all NBA players are watching.

And some Older Vets, looking at you NeNe are afraid of losing minutes.

DD

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I've put Cod's posts into their own threads, as per posters' wishes, but then Cod comes along later and posts elsewhere, so.......best to just let it stay here.

Should anyone want another new post with some info from Codman, go to the "Ryan Anderson makes $18.7 million" thread (or whatever it's called).

#486 ROXTXIA, Dec 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

so if he did indeed fail his physical, does that mean his contract is voided and he is no longer a RFA even?

8. DaDakota

I believe if he fails and the Rockets let him go he becomes an UFA.

DD

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I can see him playing in Europe now.

10. Newlin

Newlin Member

I'm curious now about the whole process of an NBA physical. I wonder if there is any kind of agreement between the players association and the teams as to what criteria are used for deciding whether a player passes or fails? My guess is that every team has its own criteria and just uses the info from the Docs to decide if a player passes or fails.

In the case of DMo, I'm wondering if the Docs found something that is alarming to the Rockets, that the Nets didn't really care about. So, now the Rockets are weighing all their options before moving forward. The Rockets may be in a position where they could choose to either pass or fail DMo. In other words DMo may be in a grey area as far as pass or fail.

11. DaDakota

As I said the Rockets have been notoriously strict, when they cut Scola it was because they were worried his knees were degenerating, and that was what? 5, 6 seasons ago, and he is still playing well.

Sean Elliot trade was rescinded, while ultimately the docs were right, Eliot successfuly played for several more years and won championships in San Antonio as a key player.

So, my GUESS, is that the Rox docs are more risk averse than other clubs.

DD

12. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Not be caring....that is all.

Gimme more Harrell Nene & Capella please and pass the stuffing....

No Mo DoMo...........go away already. Tired of u sir. never thought I'd have that thought but, there it is....

Go Rockets !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heypartner likes this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Question is will Morey decide to keep him just so Dmo and BJ don't get their way>

14. DaDakota

@jscmedia - tired of it too, but if we don't get DMo, we need someone that can play center - the thing I LOVED about Dmo was that we could have played him at the 5, and Anderson at the 4, and had TWO stretch bigs on the floor, to open up the space - all the other centers are NOT stretch players - with the possible exception of Boogie, who is a MASSIVE chemistry risk...

DD

Little Bit likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Good points. But then they sign Gordon and Anderson to huge contracts and we all know that they've both struggled with injuries throughout their careers.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

FIFY

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

if they keep him, then they will have to pay him.

18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

It was my understanding that the Rocket's doctors have yet to actually examine him.

The tweet said he showed up and was sent home, not that he took the physical and then was told to go home

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Many conflicting reports but apparently Dmo told Joel Blank he failed physical, while the Nets passed him. This has been verified on twitter by DMo.

20. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

DD I GET IT...but frankly back issues, that is such a bad place to be with the $$ being tossed around. I think DM is probably thinking along the same lines and I also believe that a little patience and great play will result in a winter surprise and teams with zero chance drop those decent vets off the table.
    Maybe not a Do Mo but then again, the one driving force for any true pro who doesn't have one ?...a chance to get one....the darn ring of course. And THAT's what I hope happens...because the Rockets are suddenly a very hot commodity and any vet sitting there wondering if they EVER will get the chance and not blind to the possibility this team right here could get lucky.

So my mantra to the surprise of ME has become...No Mo D Mo....

it may just be chance, it may just be destiny but Harrell happened to drop his first 3 last night.
    It was symbolic if nothing else. And we all know for a fact D Mo could never rise up with his attitude and slam those loose balls back in with such authority. Kids got 'tude. kids got desire, kids got heart....I like him a lot and he is overcoming the naysayers also.

Hakeemtheking likes this.