1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Thunder 12/9/2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Respect for elaborating your comment rather than lashing back. Seriously, nice to see on this forum.

I don't know, I just think he had a bad game and made some bad decisions, but like the other games where he's played like that, the opponents defense did a good job on him. He did get some great assists. And also, keep in mind that this team is now a system, and Harden's game is affected when the other starters shoot poorly also. Ariza, Beverly and Anderson were awful.

I trust that he'll learn from these situations and hopefully the team will grow and improve as the season goes on.

Os Trigonum and Cashmoney like this.
  2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

3. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

No problem man, thanks for the props. I have no problems having a good chat with posters who bring something to the table.

I respect your opinion but I'm just not sure, he's having too many of these games. I know everyone does and he can't be perfect every night but the turnovers are beyond disgusting. I mean we applaud him when he has 3 or 4 in a game now, that's how sad it is. Good note about the system, and that is true.

At the same time though, I just don't think he's helping himself at all. It's infuriating when he gets the switch onto a big man and instead of going to work and taking it to the hole he dribbles on the spot for 5 seconds and bricks a three. He's not playing to his strengths enough. It would be interesting to see his clutch fg% this season and compare it with other seasons, I feel the numbers would support my argument. The dude has not performed well down the stretch this season at all, there is no urgency or intent too often.

Some of it may be attributed to the new system like you said but at the same time that doesn't explain why he's launching three after three when his shot is off when he can blow by anyone when he wants to at will. That doesn't make sense to me at all. I appreciate that it is tiring to continually drive but it's about mixing it up and remaining unpredictable, and right now harden is way too predictable when things tighten up.

Zoplicone likes this.
  4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It's actually kinda crazy how Harden got 12 assists in a game where Anderson, Ariza and Beverly all played 30+ minutes and shot a combined 8 of 30.

Those three did combine for 28 rebounds though!

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah. You're right. He did make some poor decisions. The behind the back pass was cringe-worthy. It's hard to defend him with a turnover like that. There is still room to grow.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Thanks for wasting my time. I read it again and you didn't specify what season you meant.

And here's his corner percentage chart from his 37% season: http://vorped.com/1-nba/2014-2015/player/1416/donatas-motiejunas/shotchart/

Still not 37% from the corner.

Show me. This is Missouri, fool!

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Refs were all over Westbrook's nuts. NBA must really want to push him as a LeBron/Curry level star for marketing purposes.

DonKnock likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

The new BSPN title:
    Patrick Beverley hangs tough, stops Russell Westbrook

Yay! We have a correction in reporting after midnight! Lot's of people will see it! More BS by ESPN.

DonKnock likes this.
  9. Remlap

Remlap Member

One thing I learned about MDA from a profile vid of him someone posted
    early on just after he signed on, is that he seems to genuinely care about
    his players as well as build relationships with them.
    You can see that with the Bev chest bump. That's the sign of a great relationship
    between coach and player. Vid showed him swapping stories with Harden at a practice
    and laughing together.
    But at the same time, Coach is not hesitant to make the right personnel
    subs when it counts either. Players seem to respect him. Even 'most' former players
    So far, so good Coach. I'm glad to see MDA get a chance to redeem himself and his system

10. don grahamleone

My body is ready for the Mavs thread.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Christ Harden sucks at guarding the 3 pt line. Terrible.

12. Chamillionaire

So nice to have a competent coach. Best coach since Rudy T. IMO.

Remlap and don grahamleone like this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I do think though when things gets ugly late in a game like this, it's because we just weren't doing a good job of scoring, so we try to hold onto whatever lead we have and slow the game down. When so many of our guys are shooting this poorly, maybe we can't risk playing our free flowing style because that's just giving the opponent a loose defense to play through.

Cashmoney likes this.
  14. bongman

bongman Member

It's really easy.. Take the amount of good plays he's had this year (not just one play/game) and compare it to the bad ones. You'll discover that his positive plays out number the good ones.

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You're jumping in mid conversation, my point was pro-Harden. Just said its hard to defend him when he makes those bad plays but I still will because he does more for his team than anyone in the league.

16. bongman

bongman Member

What is there to defend? He makes mistakes just like the rest of the NBA.

17. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Capella needs to play more minutes

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Defend him in the conversation I was having with another poster. Lay off the bong :)

Cashmoney likes this.
  19. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I also would have let Harden rest longer on the bench in the 4th. We had just extended the lead to 12. Soon as Harden came back in Thunder went on an 8-0 run. See if the second unit can keep playing well and maintain their lead, and let Harden be fresher for the last 5 or 6 minutes.

Again, easier said after the fact obviously. Just happy we got the win.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Unacceptable... don't ever advocate less bong

RCPM and Tha_Dude like this.