1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

foreign fans: why the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cohen, Oct 20, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

The out-of-town thread peaked my interest. Why are you a Rockets fan? With so many fans from around the world in disparate locations.

I understand the more recent Yao attraction, but many have been fans for years. What turned you on to the Rockets? Do you get to see many games?

2. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

I don't know for the rest of the 'foreigners' but what drawed me to the rockets was hakeem.. after Jordan retired the first time, I decided to idolize him. Which was pretty coincidental because they won the championship the next year and the year after. Ever since then I've been a rockets fan.. I hardly get to see any games because bball's not very popular in Australia and the cable channel's pretty lame.. so I get to see highlights every now and then but I've still got the finals games from way back

3. Eddie Griffin

Eddie Griffin Member

I'm from Hungary, Central-Europe. My father worked at Houston in 1994 for 6 monthes. He bought me some newspapers, a Hakeem jersey, he send me a lot of information about the Rockets. :D

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Because the Rockets over the years have been playing the Big mans Game, which is what Basketball is all about.

5. laughdog

laughdog Member

this question has excluded yao's fan, like me. so i better keep my mouth shut

6. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I come from Norway... And I became a Rox fan in 94. I was only 8 years old but I fell in love with this game and especially the Rockets. Hakeem was quickly my favourite player and I guess that the championship probably influenced me a bit... But hey, I was a norwegian 8 year old... My favourite team became the champs...:p
    I have followed the Rockets closely from 94:)

Rockets 4ever;)

7. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I'm originaly from France but I lived thoughout the world my whole life.5 years in US and 1 in Houston when I was 15/16 years old(95/96 season)
    Simple as that!
    Unfortunatly I only went to one game:Rockets/Suns.Barkley was still playing for Phoenix and in the middle of the 2nd quarter he made a flagrant foul on Drexler and injured him pretty badly.For the rest of the game he booed on every posession.If u would have told anyone there that Barkley was going to be a Rocket the year after they would have laughed at your face!
    Anyways I have a little history directly linked with Houston!

ALA

8. Cohen

No no! Sorry... :) ... didn't mean to make it sound like that. I just said that I understand and obviously, could have anticipated the attraction to the Rockets for Yao fans.

If you're here for Yao, feel free to mention so.

9. YaoTheMan

YaoTheMan Contributing Member

You are right, I have been a big time Utah and Sixers Malone/Stock/AI fan. If it weren't for Yao....

Nonetheless, living in Bayarea, I only went to two GSW games last season. Both were against the Rox and both were very memorable. SF dropped his mouth piece on the floor and put it back and then crossed over Dunleavy Jr for a reverse layup... either move was pretty 'sick'. And Yao dropped his first NBA 3...

10. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

a malaysian rocket fan. never did like soccer that much, saw one rockets game, and of course hakeem, and hooked on the rockets ever since.

just the way the game is played you know. i didn't know about slam dunks before but even a smooth jumper was exciting.

got myself a nba live and nba jam and played the rockets to death.

11. Cohen

SHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh!

;)

12. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

Never was interested in basketball but I saw some highlights from the season Houston won the Championship......Then I bought Nba2k and I slowly began to be itnerested in all the players on the Rockets ......And now im a diehard Rocket fan who can alot of basketball! u guys in bbs have teeched me alot so thanks!

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Hakeem, but then again i moved to houston when i was in 3rd grade(thats whn i started watching basketball)

14. yaoming506

yaoming506 Member

15. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

fellow Malaysian rockets fans!!!!

I became a rockets fan ever since I started watching basketball.... that's the yr Hakeem swept the Magic and won the championship.......

16. anthoang2k2

anthoang2k2 Member

one word: Yao

and i'm only one of 1.3 billion new Rockets fans. too bad not many actually live in Houston.

<a href="http://68.121.172.186:82">Yao-Ming.tv</a>

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

geeze.... moved to Houston in 1990... was a rockets fan ever since I saw the sampson shot. I was about 5 or so... Followed the Rockets closely since then. Moved to indonesia for a few years and lived off this website for god knows how long. I'm back here now so i guess i'm not considered international anymore.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I lived in Houston for one year (1995-1996) and went to several Rockets games. Since then, I have been a Rockets fan.

19. Panda

Panda Member

I was in Houston for years and that's why. Don't mess with Texas, ha!

20. Houkom

Houkom Member

Because of Hakeem Olajuwon,

Then the whole Houston team won me over...