1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop recommendation needed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by subtomic, Dec 1, 2016.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Need a new laptop for (primarily) audio recording and mixing. I know people typically prefer desktops for audio recording, but I don't (and can't) have a set space so mobility is crucial.

I know the minimum specs I need (i7 6th gen, 16gb ram expandable, 256 pcie ssd for OS and 1 additional storage ssd or hdd, 17" screen, thunderbolt 3 port) so it's just a matter of finding a product that is reliable. I'll add that I'd prefer a Windows machine, as my DAW of choice Reaper works best in Windows. But I haven't 100% ruled out a MacBook Pro.

In any case, this is what I've considered:

Lenovo P70
    HP Zbook 17 G3
    Dell Precision M7710
    MacBook Pro 15.4

Trying to keep things under $2400 (not counting tax and warranties), which has ruled out getting a Clevo machine built by ADK audio (who customize computers for audio production). Given this price range, I've looked exclusively at refurbished examples of the models above.

Any input welcome.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd go the new i7 Surface Book over MacBook Pro any day. You get way more machine and functionality at that price range... and you don't have to carry dongles with you everywhere.

From the Windows systems you listed, I've had 17" notebooks in the past and hated them all. They are just too big. As a refurbished shopper, I love outlet.dell.com and the coupon codes you can stack from @DellOutlet on Twitter, SlickDeals, Ebates, etc.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Is 17' an absolute necessity?

4. subtomic

Supporting Member

It's strongly preferred - it's easier to spend long hours working on an audio project if you aren't squinting.

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I run Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 10 on a mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro. I highly suggest it. My only regret is not getting a larger SSD. UAD, Waves, Soundtoys, Izotope etc... All these plugins run flawlessly, and my mixes are usually full of plugins. It also handles a heavy load of vsti's during production.

#5 HR Dept, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    subtomic likes this.
  6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Also, don't sleep on Apple Core Audio. It's EXTREMELY serviceable and gives you the ability to do work in a pinch when you are away from an audio interface.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd rather have a monitor than a beast of a laptop. They actually have some pretty nice portable ones too. I found when I had a 17" for work that I would actually leave it behind more times than not just because of how unwieldy it was.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Are you frequently on location w/out access to a 2nd monitor? Otherwise I would also take the 15" and hook up a 2nd monitor.

Arrangement window on one monitor and your mixer or piano roll plus plugins on the 2nd monitor is liberating.

HR Dept and DudeWah like this.
  9. subtomic

Supporting Member

Yes, the bulk of recording will be done either at my rehearsal room or at the homes of various collaborators. I don't want to lug a monitor around.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I should have added that I want a system that's as future proof as possible, which is why anything that tops out at 16GB RAM and can't be upgraded is less than ideal.