1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel] Planning European honeymoon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Dec 1, 2016.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

So I want to plan a European trip at the end of June. We would like to hit Dublin, London and Paris. Any CF members out there know of a way to get good flight and hotel deals? Looking at about a 10-14 day stay.

We were also thinking about going to Australia. Are we just better off going there for about a week?

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

If it is a Honeymoon I would recommend Italy (Positano, Capri, Florence), Spain, and Greece versus those three countries. Mediterranean is more romantic. Just google pictures of Capri and Positano.

TheMystery008, Yung-T and vstexas09 like this.
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It might be best to consider visiting fewer places and staying longer. Maybe just do London and Paris, since it's easy to take the chunnel between the two. You could do a France-centric trip and visit Paris as well as the wine/champagne regions. The country side is fantastic.

No Worries likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I can't speak about Dublin or London, but whenever we go to Paris and need a hotel, we usually find one near the Sorbonne. It's a little bit of a walk to all the main sights, but it's significantly cheaper than anything you'll find around the Louvres or Arc d'Triomph. If you're going in June, I would highly recommend pre-booking any sites you're planning on visiting because lines will be absolutely outrageous. Skip The Line passes are a God-send. I would also recommend booking a personal tour to take you through the Loire Valley region of France. It's about a 3 hour drive from Paris by shuttle bus, and they will take you to some of the most famous chateaus in France, as well as some really nice vineyards for wine-tasting. It's a really cool way to see the French countryside, and the tour was conducted by a sommelier, so you get to learn a ton about wine-making in the process.

Also, to piggyback off of what a previous poster said, Amalfi Coast is a wonderful destination for a honeymoon.....especially in that time of year. You'd also only be a couple of hours away from Rome by train, and only about 3 hours from Florence and Tuscany. Sorrento and Positano are probably my favorite places on Earth. Simply breathtaking.

Yung-T, FranchiseBlade and Nook like this.
  5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Any airlines you guys recommend? Best time to book to get the best price?

6. Exiled

Exiled Member

Congrats.
    I didn't like London much but many do.make sure you know ahead how to ride public transportation upon arrival. A taxi ride from airport to let's say Sussex St. is about 300£
    Paris is fine for a couple of days , my advice once you're there ,rent a car and try to visit the French side of Switzerland,it's gorgeous ,as for Dublin,the most friendly people you might see in EU, too bad not much to see

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I also say trim it down to London & Paris. You'll lose at least 1/2 a day switching cities: packing, commute to the train, travel, commute to your hotel/Airbnb, settling in, etc.

Plus it's your honeymoon; give yourselves time to relax and take in the locales instead of rushing around to cram things in.

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

early june has been pricing low to dublin from houston.
    personally not a big fan of dublin. the real majesty of ireland is in the west. galway, clifden, cliff of moher is more the deal. but a walk to the floozie in the jacuzzi and temple bar might be your thing. i would do day in dublin at most and would probably be getting lit that whole time anyway. fun people.

as for gay paris my favorite areas are place victor hugo, for slightly less price ecole militare area is good. i like the area around metro stop odeon. hotel jardin d eiffel gives you eiffel tower views. rive gauche for those scorin at home and st germaine.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Who asked about "gay" Paris?

Nook likes this.
  10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wife and I went to Dublin/Ireland for our 1st anniversary - just so happened I needed to be there for work around that time and she has always wanted to visit as she comes from an Irish family.

It's certainly not a typical romantic honeymoon locale (personally I would probably tour Italy if given my pick) but it's a fun trip. A day or two in Dublin max though, then I'd venture somewhere else in the country. Find a cottage or somewhere cool to stay in the countryside. Lots of interesting little towns there. We did day tours to Cliffs of Moher and Giant's Causeway, which were cool, but can't recommend anywhere else to stay unfortunately.

In Dublin, Guinness is a must see even if not beer drinkers (buy tickets online in advance). Trinity college is interesting to walk through. Lots of other buildlings and landmarks, lots of pubs and restaurants.

We stayed on the outskirts of town and took the train (DART) into town. Very easy to get around via train and bus.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with all that was said in this post. The Loire Valley is one of my favorite places in the world. As for lodging in Paris, near the Sorbonne is good, and it is close to the Metro, which is important. There may also be some cheap places from time to time near the Bastille.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I can't say much about Sorrento and Positano, but Italy in general is incredible. I lived in Sicily for four years when I was in the military. If my current job posted me there, Rockets fans in Australia would hear my "WHOO HOO" all the way from H-town.

Northern Italy is fantastic....Toscana, Umbria, Lombardia.

I would not waste a honeymoon on London. Parks are great, Piccadilly Square is a thumbs up, but it's all too chaotic. I would make it somewhere in Italy or France or even southern Germany/Austria. Bavaria/Vienna/Salzburg? It's like a sore d**k. Can't beat it.

watashi315 and Yung-T like this.
  14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Any specific reason why you'd want to go to the UK and Paris? As others have mentioned, places like Italy seem much better suited for honeymoon, taking everything into account (sights, weather, nature, romantic vibe).

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. London on a honeymoon? Was Cleveland already fully booked or something?

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've been to about 25 countries in my life at this point. And Italy is my 1 of 2 favorite places including Thailand.

So add me to the list that says honeymoon and Italy all the way.

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Just booked our plane tickets to Paris. $1,200 round trip total for two. Only catch is we have to fly out of Dallas.

I'm thinking we fly into Paris, take a plane to Rome and spend 3-5 days there and then go back to Paris for the remainder of the trip.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What's really the difference between a Honeymoon and a vacation with your spouse/partner? You can get it on anywhere. Also, since when was Paris not an awesome place to go for a honeymoon? (Recent shootings aside) It also completely depends on what your interests are.

My wife and I spent 10 days in Rome/Florence and Paris. First 5 in Italy then flew over to Paris for the second half. Maybe wasted 4 hours of total travel time on that flight in the middle. Hardly anything.

19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We'll be there a total of 12 days. Should be enough time for both those cities. Maybe we'll squeeze in a day or two in London since its a short train ride away. Pretty excited about this trip!

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

June has good weather.

Late April is probably the best time weather and traffic wise.

For a first timer, can't really go wrong with anything inside Italy. An Iberian tour would also be just as memorable.

If you like a more foreign european experience, I'd visit the Eastern Euro states. A three city tour of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague is probably more memorable than the anticipated experience you've seen in movies and tv. You'll get plenty of touristic views in all three cities, but there's an allure peeling around the corner and seeing something different. Vienna is probably the most boring, but would probably make ticketing and travel easier.