1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni = Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 27, 2016.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There were certain posters here, ftw rockets ftw, for one, who said D'Antoni wasn't a les hire but a Morey hire. And used that as a launching pad to call Morey a bad GM.

Should they now admit that either:
    1) Morey is a good GM after all
    2) that it was Les' hire after all

Either way, it'll be fun watching them squirm out of this one as well. That group of posters has already been proven completely wrong about Dekker.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Maury coaching hires - Kevin Mcfail, BJ Brewerstaff

Uncle Le$ had enough of these BS coaches and took control and hired Mike Anthony as per inside sauces.

Mike Anthony >>>>> McFail + BJ

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Wow, people must really want MDA to get fired if they are putting him up for COY.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Should be coach of the decade for bringing in a new successful style to the NBA.

5. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Only SA is an actual good team. The others are just bordering on .500.

6. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

You don't win COY for post season work, especially if a big part of it came from Dallas trading for Rondo, Josh Smith getting hot and throwing wild lobs, and the Clippers relaxing after a 3-1 lead.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not just the post season. We won 56 games in the regular season, with Howard missing half of the games, Bev missing almost half of the season, Jones missing about two thirds of the season. We were using guys like DMo, Brewer, Terry, Papanikolauo, and later Josh Smith in the rotation. (And don't forget that the West was absolutely STACKED that season. With GSW running away with 67 wins, SIX other teams won at least 50 games. That was a total of SEVEN 50-win teams.) That's one heck of an achievement at least according to the results on paper. Because of that and the subsequent playoffs "success" a lot of people thought we would be a contender the next season. It turned out that the 14-15 season was just a fluke. We brought back to whole core and everything crumbled. The coach got fired.

I am just saying, giving a coach COY by one season's result doesn't mean much. The same with firing a coach.

9. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

It does count. Also, Spurs beat us in Houston too. My comment includes the warriors, cavs, maybe toronto, maybe clippers who have been hot. Its early, period. PS: portland is fighting to stay over 500.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Very unlikely. McHale coached Harden and a bunch of scrubs to 56 wins and didn't get it. So, I doubt MDA will get it.

11. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Making Jimmy Harden a PG and the Rockets are the top 4 team in the West- Coach Of The Year. I'm quite sure people outside 713281409832 would not put the Rockets as a playoff team. I'm going to stuff the ballot box for him.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I want him to win. But he has to make some better rotation and player decisions to get it.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If he can't get them to play hard every game, then no

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

He cannot help it, what he did with the Suns was a game changer but everyone has caught on to it so while he was great back in the day, you just cannot win with offense alone. Even then he was proven that defense matters. All the 'great' coaches who preached defense never won anything. He's not COY material, but it's not his fault per se. The roster is all offense, the GM & owner want threes and lay-ups and a run-and-gun style so blame Leslie & Morey for failing. We all knew it, but this was doomed to fail. JVG was not the answer, but this isn't either.

15. joomba

joomba Member

He should at least be the candidate

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

If we finish in the top 4 how is he not COY?

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I didn't like the D'Antoni hire, but looking back, I think it was the right decision for one primary reason. If the Rockets can be competitive (like consistently 4-6 seed in the West, 2nd-tier contender), I don't see Harden going anywhere. As is evident now, this offense is perfect for him. Whether the Rockets can ultimately build a team that can win a championship with this system remains to be seen.

Easy likes this.
  18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree so far. Our offense looks so much better but towards the end of close games I still think we iso too much. JVG would've been much better for last years roster but we went all offense so I think Pringles is fit for this team perfectly. I still don't see GS being beat in the playoffs but I'm pleasantly surprised so far especially after winning at GS.

19. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He is getting up there.

20. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I hope they finish 50+ win games.

BigShasta likes this.