1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike D'Antoni = Coach of the Year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

In this wacky year where the Cubs win the WS and a reality TV star is elected President, I guess anything is possible.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, if you think Tyronne Lue and Doc Rivers should never deserve it, and gag at the idea of Steve Kerr repeating or Luke Walton winning due to getting Lakers to the playoffs, then MDA has a chance.

Wapzoe likes this.
  4. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If he gets us to 54+ wins then yes unless the Warriors win 72+ or Cavs/Clippers/Spurs win 68+

5. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Coach of the year will be announced in 2017, not 2016. My comment made your comment obsolete

6. Bezzle

Bezzle Member

I'm still waiting to see us step up against bigger competition

7. hvic

hvic Member

too early to say

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well as of right now he's doing better than Thibs, Vogel, or Joerger...everyone wanted those three over him...

Hope I'll be able to say this at the end of the season, lots of season left.

9. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

I don't think so.

1) Offesnsively he is great but he has a lot to prove defensively. I like that we "doubled down" on offense and are playing to our strengths but I think the coach of the year should be proficient on both ends.

2) The team tends to fall apart when Harden is on the bench (though this has been better the last couple games). Thus the narrative would be that Harden is just as (if not way more) responsible for the team's success than MDA's coaching. Now what MDA has done for Harden in terms of maximizing his potential/ability has been great. Making him point guard, running lots of pick and rolls and encouraging other players to move off-ball has been huge for Harden's production. But on again, when Harden sits at times it's painful to watch.

MDA is the best coach we've had in a long time. I love his offensive schemes, I love his rotations (except KJ should be getting Brew's minutes) and I love how highly the players (specifically James) speak of him. But if the season ended today I couldn't give him COTY.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Coach of the first 20 games

I think there will be better ones. He has been riding Nash's and Harden's coattails for too long.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Why not? With all these crazy stuff happening I won't be surprised.

12. Nivos

Nivos Member

Big competition from Dwane Casey and Luke Walton but ye, he's in the game so far...

13. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Coach of the Year for getting the Rocket to beat a bunch of teams playing <.500 ball?

MDA has done well, but the Lakers have been the biggest surprises. David Fizdale has done an underrated job at Memphis after a slow start.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Truth but it's looking darn promising. I wanted JVG but it seems like we got the coaches we needed. I'm happy to have been wrong.

darksoul35 and Deuce like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

^
    This is unfortunately the reality of the NBA.
    If Lakers get to the playoffs, the NBA will give it to Walton for bringing a 'marquee franchise' back to the playoffs in his first year (despite the fact that pretty much all the pieces were already there).
    Or Kerr gets it when Warriors go no.1 seed for finding a way to get KD and Curry etc. to play together (like that's such a difficult thing).

Not saying MDA does or does not deserve it but he isn't going to get it unless we are the best team in the West

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

Wapzoe likes this.
  18. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nope, this team is just like 2014 Rockets and will crumble against big competition and play-off time in particular. Maybe if they make a trade, start to play defense so they can finally get that crazy fast MDA Suns offense going and finish top 4, then you have a case.

19. hakeemthagreat

It's a strong possibility if we keep winning the way we are. Harden is playing outta his mind. But guys like Gordon, Anderson, Capela & Ariza are all playing better than their expectations right now. The system is PERFECT for our roster. MDA was the best option for our team and I'm glad Morey got it right this time. I have no complaints with MDA

Zergling likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mildly interesting. Thibodeau, Brooks and Vogel, three coaches heavily sought after in the off-season, are a combined 16-32 to start the season. D'Antoni, perhaps the least sought after, is the only coach (of the 4 listed) with a winning record at 11-6

Deuce and topfive like this.