1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Ppl just stop with the dumb stuff. Everyone trying to ship Anderson already bc he's been playing worse than his contract shows but please don't forget that Andersonnis also playing in a system he's never played b4 which is RUN RUN RUN which also takes a tool on your legs of you're not in shape for that type of system. I'm not saying he'll never be but some guys it takes a bit longer to get in shape for MDA's system. As far as Gay goes I would def trade KJ, Brown, and Brew for him. He's not a bad locker room guy he's just been in bad situation all his career. I guess everyone forgot when he and the Grizz use to be really good in the West. Gay on this team as a backup would be significant. A knockdown shooter who who will hit the 3 at a significantly better rate than Brew and like MDA said there is players on the team shooting the 3 worse than NENE so why not let him shoot.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

interesting that ariza had his best game of the season against SAC..........scared he might lose his starting job to you know who :D

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not being sarcastic at all.

We will be coming off a better season, with more money, with less competition for FA's, with Harden leading the league in assists. We would do much better. We need to upgrade the talent. Having Ariza, Beverley, KJ, Capela, Dekker as desirable trade chips and $30m in cap space and our draft pick makes a huge difference.

Morey can probably create the cap space if someone wants to come anyway I'm not worried about his ability to make an extra $15m in cap space, but I think Anderson will be much harder to trade down the line and while he is a great complimentary piece on the floor, I'm more interested in snagging another 1 or 2 of the top 20 or 30 best players. Guys like Cousins, Holiday, Mirotic, Noel, Zach Lavine, Paul Millsap, Chris Paul, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Lowry will probably be available through trade or FA and all could be top 20 or 30 players.

For me it's about championship, I don't take any pleasure in seeing incremental changes where we are almost certainly not going to compete for a ring. So the idea that Anderson might be better than what Morey can do next summer, I'm fine taking that risk. If we strike out on everyone good, we'll pick up Gallinari at roughly the same price tag and a +/- 1 or 2 losses for the team. Anderson can't defend any type of player and his rebounding is below average. He's the perfect role player, but we're not in a position to be attached to expensive role players right now imo.

Vivi likes this.
  4. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

You sound too convincing, better delete that commend before Vivek reads it.

5. PeppermintCandy

Watching the highlights from the Kings game, Cousins had one basket in the paint (a nice move but Capela made him work) and the rest were jumpers and three pointers. Most of the offensive plays had him camped out at the three point line.

Granted he has a great stroke for a big man, but if he's the type who isn't interested in the grind of the inside game, it would really limit his effectiveness and negate his size advantage.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

He's currently 3rd in the league for points in the paint.

hakeem94 and MorningZippo like this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. Gay's a better playmaker than Ariza & more athletic. Ariza's a better defensive player with a better IQ. At the beginning of season I'd trade Ariza but he's been shooting so good I'd be hesitant now

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. basketballholic

Ariza is in his proper place, 5th option offensively. He always shoots well when he's the 5th option. Much more wide open looks for him with plenty of time to catch, square, dip, and release in perfect rhythm for him. This is the side benefit of defenses having to account for Anderson, Gordon, and Capela.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

man if we could have gay come off the bench with eric gordon and still have ariza starting but that's only in a perfect world

10. delishman

delishman Member

Anderson for Gay. Cap room solved.

basketballholic likes this.
  11. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

a
    and have gay play pf

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

If the team becomes significantly worse, are you really solving anything?

13. delishman

delishman Member

Rudy Gay is outshooting (FG, 3P), scoring, rebounding, blocking & playing better by virtually any advanced metric.. Not hell-bent against Ryno but if Rudy Gay would be a step back.. that's news to me & statistics.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We want to bring back the knucklehead culture already?

15. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Years later and people still talking about Rudy Gay? Let it die already

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Can you source the stats saying that Gay is a better 3 point shooter off the catch over his career? I bet you'll have a VERY hard time.

17. delishman

delishman Member

Of course not.. Ryan Anderson is a much better shooter & will finish the season at a higher %.

If the one argument for Anderson though is 3P shooting and he currently isn't even doing that better.. argument is looking paper thin.

Honestly fine with both guys and think both could be ideal 4th options. I'd rather have 20 million dollars in cap room to find better than a 4th option and Rudy Gay gives us both.

JamalP. likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, if he signs with Harden's agent, then let us know. Although I think any interest we have in Rudy Gay is as a stopgap and expiring contract.

20. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Seems like he's prep'n to leave. New agent new start