1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron.com: Cato seizes opportunity at PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Oct 19, 2003.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bb/2166322

Knock, knock

Cato seizes opportunity at power forward

By MICHAEL MURPHY
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

It is the one cold, immutable fact of life in the NBA or any other sport, professional or otherwise: One player's misfortune is another player's opportunity.

A perfect example of that athletic Darwinism can be seen at Rockets camp, where misfortune -- accidental (Maurice Taylor's dislocated left shoulder) and self-inflicted (Eddie Griffin's childish disappearing act) -- has opened the door of opportunity at power forward.

And Kelvin Cato has strolled through, catching the attention of coach Jeff Van Gundy with strong back-to-back games.

With few options after Griffin went over the wall, Van Gundy paired the 6-11 Cato with 7-5 center Yao Ming, and the results have been dramatic.

The Rockets, who had started the preseason with four straight losses, whipped Sacramento in consecutive games, both of which Cato started at power forward.

Cato had six points and 13 rebounds in an 82-78 victory Tuesday. Two nights later, he chipped in with six points and 12 boards in an 88-72 win over the Kings.

"The important thing is that Yao commands a lot of attention, and you need a (power forward) who can go to the boards when they have to use two people to box out Yao," Cato said. "Crashing the boards is a lot easier when you have Yao down there getting all that attention."

Numbers like those -- on Cato's stat sheet and in the Rockets' win column -- not only seized Van Gundy's attention but might also have allowed Cato, 29, to seize an opportunity to be something other than a backup center.

"I think he's doing terrific," Van Gundy said of Cato. "I would say that if you're looking at it right now, and it's weird how this works out, but he's going to be our starting power forward."

It's the continuation of a career turnaround for the seven-year veteran.

If the Rockets were looking for a symbolic promotional giveaway in his honor, they might consider Kelvin Cato PiƱata Night, considering how much he's been beaten up by fans and the media.

Last season Cato was one of the best -- if not the best -- backup center in the NBA. This year seems to be another significant step forward for him.

"This is just basketball right now, and the main thing for me is to just go out there and do whatever Jeff asks me to do," Cato said. "He just told me to go out there, take my shots when I get opportunities, and when I get the ball in the post to be as aggressive as I possibly can be but still stay in the offense."

But Cato's offense isn't what's winning over Van Gundy.

With Yao, who is averaging 18 points on 63 percent shooting in the preseason, Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Taylor, Eric Piatkowski and Jim Jackson, the Rockets have established scorers.

Defense and rebounding will be keys, and Cato can provide both. Consider that in the two games against Sacramento, the Kings' stable of low-post big men -- Brad Miller (3-for-16 shooting), Vlade Divac (4-for-14), Tony Massenburg (3-for-9) and Darius Songaila (4-for-12) -- combined to make only 14 of 51 shots (27.5 percent).

Granted, the Kings were missing Chris Webber, but that's still some pretty strong interior defense. If someone gets by Yao, they still have Cato to contend with. And vice versa.

"He's been terrific for us so far," Van Gundy said of Cato. "When you have two 7-footers in there at the same time, there are some areas of vulnerability. Teams that pressure may give you a little bit more problems.

"Transition defense with two centers vs. a better-running power forward may be a little more problematic at times.

"But one thing I like about having two centers in there is that it's hard to get a shot off in the lane against a half-court defense."

So Van Gundy is not only noticing what Cato is doing on the floor but also what he's not doing.

"I keep talking about this -- when you're surrounding Yao and Steve, all you need are tough, smart, hard-working professional players who know who they are. They're not confused," Van Gundy said. "So he (Cato) is not going to jack up perimeter shots.

"He's going to shoot a high percentage, he's going to rebound, he's going to know coverages, and he's a very smart player."

Smart enough to recognize what an effective Twin Tower combination he and Yao could be.

With Yao's ability to pass, shoot from the outside and see over the defenses with his height, the Rockets could employ a high-low game similar to what San Antonio used with Tim Duncan and David Robinson.

"That's what we're trying to get incorporated: the high-low pass," Cato said. "We try to keep a big (man) high right now, like San Antonio does.

"But Yao's doing it now. He's making shots, and we're a good percentage because we're getting the ball in the post."

But Cato is taking nothing for granted. He understands that once Taylor and Griffin come back, he could return to his role as a backup center.

"We have guys like Mo, who is a better scorer than I am, but I think he can do the dirty work, too," Cato said. "But right now, things seem to be clicking."

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

I have to admit, that I have been very skeptical all along of Cato receiving significant time at PF, much less being the starter until Mo comes back. I still think there is the potential to have other team's double/zone Yao before he even gets the ball if Cato is on the court with him. However, I digress and can't help but defer to JVG's judgement on this one. I hope it continues to work.

BTW, didn't Cato play some PF next to Hakeem a few years ago?? Cato seems to be a little less bulky this year. Perhaps that has made the transition easier.

3. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Member

I wonder how many times this option was raised in bbs.. and now finally JVG gives it a shot and it works reasonably well

4. neXXes

neXXes Member

We'll be playing 2 centers at the same time, while most of the league plays a fraction of a center.

5. SLA

SLA Member

hehe...

He's going to be our starting power forward until Eddie Griffin comes back...and then Mo returns...

So 1 more game of starting for him! Unless someone gets injured..

6. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Van Gundy said of Cato. "I would say that if you're looking at it right now, and it's weird how this works out, but he's going to be our starting power forward."

I like it, it think it is the way it shall be. Cato proved it. I hope he will still be the starting center when Griffin and Taylor come back.

"I keep talking about this -- when you're surrounding Yao and Steve, all you need are tough, smart, hard-working professional players who know who they are. They're not confused," Van Gundy said.

It is two days in a row that Van Gundy said pretty much the same thing. That is, it may not necessarily be a better basketball player who will get more minutes, but ones who are more complementary to Steve and Yao.

Interesting.

7. tie22fighter

Sorry, I mean Cato shall be our starting POWER FORWARD even when Taylor and Griffin come back.

8. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

When EG played PF, Yao always get double teamed because EG rarely is inside the arc and his long range shooting is pathetic, so opponents can always leave him along. Cato can provide rebounds, so Yao can afford taking more shots when he is double teamed. But we need to reduce turnover and improve shooting % to force slow half court games.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

If someone had a psychic premonition that this article of praise was coming two years ago and posted it on the BBS it would have been called science fiction. Is it not amazing that all that praise is aimed at Kelvin Cato? I love it. I guess some people take longer to grow up than others. He seems really serious about being a ball player these days. I have to admit I had given up on him at one point but he's got me believing in him again. Go Cato!

10. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Jack up perimeter shots? Wonder who is JVG refering too? Cat and Griffin?

11. SLA

SLA Member

Perimeter shots? Jack up? Yeah...probably Cat and Griffin. But I didn't see Griffin jack up too many shots in the preseason games he played it. Well don't matter now cuz Griffin is missing!

I have loved the combo and Cato has been working hard. He still makes some mistakes..but he's actually making his free throws and making some outside jumpers as well. He gets a bunch of rebounds and putbacks easily AND ONE all the time. He is energetic and can set bigger picks than Griffin can. He's also faster too...and Cato is also a nice guy and won't argue at the refs. Sometimes he will just stare at the refs when he makes a turnover...but he doesn't lose his temper although he could have beat the crap out of #2 on the Kings.

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I think the real story here is that Van Gundy is praising a player who's doing his job and doing it well, so players who aren't doing their jobs and are getting the stick from Van Gundy (on the pine and in the press) can see that there's a carrot for them if they turn themselves around.

If you're going to be a disciplinarian, you have to give praise where it's due, and loudly, or your criticism has no meaning.

13. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

I am encouraged by Cato at the 4 spot. I don't think it could work all the time, but that is what MoT is for.

14. tie22fighter

I am pretty excited in this arrangement. The only problem I can see is that it might get pretty congested in the paint on the offensive end.

But if Cato can develop a consistent medium range jump shot (12 to 15 feet), it will really help with the spacing inside the paint. If that ever becomes the case, it will be light out for the opposing team.

15. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Sounds good to me to put Yao and Cato at the same time.
    Cant wait for the regular season. Way too boring for 6 days no game>:rolleyes:

16. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I don't want to change the thread topic, but I just wanted to point out that Cato is 8 years older than Griffin. He really didn't show a consistently good attitude until last year. Before that, there were a lot of ups and downs.... mostly downs. All is not lost for Griffin, although he may be in for a lot of fan abuse in the near future.

17. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I love the novelty of twin towers, whether it works out or not. I remember when SA tried to run triple tower with Will Perdue.... ridiculuous in that particular situation. I guess it was the all-star game last year where Yao, Garnett, Duncan, Nowitski, and Nash were on the floor together. Nowitski made the comment that he should have been at point guard.

I think that Cato is pretty well equipped athletically to play D on power forwards. He can run the floor as well as Duncan... and I hope to see him do well against the tall PF's in the West.

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Cato at the 4 spot is gravey! He will do the dirty work in rebounding and is natural shot blocker. This is an excellent defensive line up!

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I think Kelvin has a really good shot at holding onto the starting 4 spot for a long time. Kelvin is not a player that needs the ball he simply goes gets it himself. With Yao Steve JJ and Cat that is pleanty of offense assuming the offense is run through Yao this year. The starting lineup basically needs a great role player, Kelvin is defintely that. He is basically our Ron Artest. I cant wait to see how this is going to work out, Ive been wanting this for a looooooong time

20. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

are yall banking on amaechi making the 12 man roster and actually backing up yao?

yao gets winded pretty easily and deffiantly needs rest during the game, if cato is starting at PF and getting significant minutes there whos going to spell yao?

maybe jvg is thinking of cato starting the game at pf but griffin and taylor getting majority of the minutes but using cato at pf at critical times like down the stretch?

but then again jvg said hes the starting pf "for now" so he could still want taylor or griffin as the starter but cato could still see some minutes at pf?