1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrison Barnes to Dallas (Four years, $94M)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Jul 4, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

In a vacuum I'd rather have Barnes, just the injury/health difference between the 2 makes Barnes better. But Barnes wanted to be "the man" so that's why he'd rather go to Dallas. More importantly though if Barnes had signed here it's highly unlike we would've gotten Eric Gordon as he wasn't even on the Rox's radar until they whiffed on every other free agent in the market.

Anderson+Gordon>>>>>Barnes

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think he's making the same amount as Anderson though, so Dallas isn't tying all their cap on him they just have a ton of bad/short sighted signings across the board.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think it's more valuable to have a guy like Anderson who can create asymmetry though...Barnes is just a cog.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I hope you're right, but Anderson needs to step up from his current play because right now MDA is benching him for Dekker. In theory his skills should help us but it depends on whether he can keep his shooting % consistent despite tough D or it fades away when the defense focuses on him.

5. VBG

VBG Member

That's true. But Barnes is much more valuable defensively (can do a decent job at least). He also has some ability to put the ball on the floor which is very nice

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's ok - I think it's just you can replace a guy like him a lot easier on a $ for $ basis than Anderson, at least peakish Anderson.

I do know that when he goes into that elbow-post-up-fadeaway routine against the Rockets, I automatically think "OK, nice, good possession, now box out and look for the outlet pass"

7. Amir's Johnson

Harry Barnes looking good right now. I rather have his contract over Andersons at the moment.

8. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Agree. 100 times
    Barnes is young and has upside.
    Plus he is better defender. can attack the basquet and his contract can be traded
    Anderson is moreys biggest mistake and his contract will destroy rockets future because his contract is untradable.

9. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Should have signed this guy and relegated ariza to the bench and sign dmo

10. Asian Sensation

Dafuq is a basquet?

Pen15clubber and DudeWah like this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people should be eating crow in here. :) Not at all a bad player.

Ariza can't shoot this well in his dreams...

12. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Barnes looks to be the winner here by far

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yup. I am stunned, but I was dead wrong.

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many people are wishing that we got Barnes instead of Anderson. That is crazy talk.

1) Harrison Barnes is horrible and still does not pass the eye test.
    2) By every advanced stat, he is horrible. Negative VORP. Negative defensive and offensive advanced stats. Win shares match that of a bench player.
    3) He shoots 30% on 3s.
    4) He does NOT play defense as well as his limited reputation
    5) His contract is 4 years $94 million. Anderson's is 4 years $80 million.
    6) Ryan Anderson is the much better player for OUR system. He shoots 2-3 feet behind the 3 point line, which gives Harden much more room than an average 3 point shooter.

15. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

HB is in the perfect situation. He can take as many shots as he wants and there's no pressure to win. He's still not an alpha though and never will be. You can't teach yourself to be dominant. You either have or you don't.

Depending on who the Mavs draft this year, I can totally see him regress next year under the shadow of a top three draft talent.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Barnes is probably not a full time PF. But he would be shooting more than 30% from 3s if he had more spacing, a better PG, and not be the focus of defensive attention.

17. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The Mavs are the worst theam in the league. No one should eat crow. The guy is getting paid $24 million per season and all he's doing is putting up garbage points. He can't shoot the three, his defense is average, he doesn't make his teammates better.

I bet if you put Beasley on the Mavs with that many touches his averages would be MUCH better.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  18. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Subjective, so I'll pass. I can tell you that he makes the occasional play which I feel only the top 10% of NBA athlete can make - via monster put-back slams and closing out on a defense with a chase-down block. "Eye test" wholly subjective here and not worth debating as there are plenty of possession where Barnes looks Beasley-ish.

As much as we cite TS% when it comes to Harden and our overall team composition: It's quite simple - Barnes '16 TS 54%, Anderson 51%.

Barnes' last 2 years in GS ~ 33% of his shots were 3's. This year it's 17%. Anderson's last 2 years were 45%. This year it's 55%.

As much as anything, the data points above are indicative of what happens when you play with superstar creators who routinely dictate open looks for their teammates.

See above. Moreover, last 2 years, Barnes averaged 39.5% from 3. Ryan Anderson was 35.5%. You don't go from being 4% better than someone to 11% worse in a year w/out my RED ALERT going off necessitating a deeper look at the drivers.

One of these guys is the most talented guy on his team and is being forced to create everything. The other gets the benefit of playing with an offensive savant creating quality looks for his teammates possession after possession.

Look, I admire your passion but we'll just agree to disagree. I'd take Barnes defending all positions 1-4 before I'd take Anderson.

Beyond that subjective offering, all I'll tell you is Barnes's defensive win shares (stats which you cited) in his last 2 years with GS were more than Anderson's in the preceding 5 years! Apple meet Orange.

To be fair, your point is perfectly valid. However, the practical implication is that the salary differential, $14/4 = 3$.5 mm/year, is marginalized.

What are you going to do with that extra $3.5 mm/year? It might save Les some tax dollars and it could create additional permutations that Morey has to evaluate when managing the cap but it's absolutely marginal.

Don't get me wrong - it's real. It just amounts to a shoulder-shrug for me. If we land our next big FA because we were able to offer $3.5 mm/year more than a competing offer - then you'll have my attention.

Your conclusion is ex-post a reality which you are using to replace historical precedent; the ex-ante as it were. Prior to Anderson playing with Harden, and prior to Barnes being the 'star' on his team, Barnes was a better 3-point shooter than Ryan Anderson (4% cited above) and it wasn't really that close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion: I'd trade Anderson straight up for Barnes. And i'd be stunned if the Mavericks would even entertain the phone-call.

BigMaloe and blahblehblah like this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The fact is if Mr. $94MM Man is one of your 2 or 3 best players, your team isn't very good.

Harrison Barnes cannot consistently create his own shot nor create for others, is not a lockdown defender, is not a leader or an inspirational guy for teammates.

He's a fairly limited role player who hit the FA market at just the right time.

20. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I'm curious then, where would you rank Barnes in terms of the Rockets best players?

I'm having a difficult time putting him below 3 which, by your definition, means the Rockets aren't very good...? Fair?

Or are you willing to ignore his last 2 years as an anomaly and displace that with this year as his baseline going forward? In which case, I can see an argument for as low as #5 on our roster.