1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cornell and Watkins Released

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daaum, Oct 17, 2003.

1. daaum

daaum Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Release_Cornell__Watk-86935-34.html

Cornell
    Watkins
    Oct. 17, 2003 - The Houston Rockets have released center Peter Cornell and forward/center Jameel Watkins, general manager Carroll Dawson announced today.
    Cornell averaged 4.0 points and 3.0 rebounds in three preseason games, while Watkins averaged 3.0 points and 3.0 rebounds in two preseason games.

2. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

Why cornell? in his limited action he supplied much better defense, passing, and overall energy than amechi.

3. lalala902102001

Because his contract is guaranteed... :p

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I liked Cornell, I thought that white man can't jump before I saw him, hope he can get pick up by some other team.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'd like to know what's up with Scales. He seemed to be doing really well in the first few games and hasn't played since.

6. shsu33

shsu33 Member

I would rather have Cornell than Amaechi. It's sad to see a better player go because of contracts but it really isn't that big of a deal because they weren't going to play that much anyway. Maybe Cornell will be picked up by a team that can use him.

7. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

that sux but it is so true...:(

8. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I am certainly with you on that one. As a matter of fact, I made that very statement this morning to some one.

The only thing I can think of is a) he is not practicing well or b) the team looked bad in the games he was in.

Regardless, he seemed like the prtotypical JVG guy. Hussle, D, and getting up and down the floor.

BJ,

Have you thought about starting a thread on the topic?

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There's no place for him...

1.Yao
    2.Stevie
    3.Cat
    4.Mo Taylor
    5. Cato
    6.Jim Jackson.
    7.Boki
    8.Piatkowski
    9. A.Griffin
    10.Moochie
    11.P.Miller
    12.Amaechi
    13.E.Griffin
    14.Wilks
    15.Braggs
    16.Scales
    17.Muoneke

they may not even keep 15, and with Cat JJ, Boki Griffin,Pia all guarateed Scales becomes odd man out regardless of talent. He would have to be far superior and he isn't.

10. mrgoubople1

mrgoubople1 Member

Why braggs and mueneke, i can see the big braggs enforcer argument but muoneke has shown me nothing besides he knows the game but he is a tweener, his physical dominant post presence has not translated from college to the pros, scales is a much better fit than him.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If they keep Muoneke after releasing Cornell, I will not be a happy camper.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I imagine the two got cut in reaction to the Pig Miller signing. Pig was the guy they wanted to pick up but couldn't do it earlier because he had a hamstring injury. With Griffin out, we need to pick up another power forward. I think they think Pig is better than Cornell and Watkins so they got cut.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

How's our feeling towards EG right now if you were Scales. Because of EG irresponsibility/dumbness, Rockets pick up "pig". It seriously hurts scales chance of making the team. :eeks:

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Not a good choice to get rid of Cornell, but Muoneke should stay.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

if i had to choose between cornell and pig, i'd take cornell any day of the week. don't get me wrong, i love pig's stints with the rockets. but cornell is just taller, maybe even stronger, and the dude can rebound.

16. Subliminal Shot

Subliminal Shot Contributing Member

I heard Scales pulled something in his groin (or however you spell it). That's the only reason he is not in...

17. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

they got rid of cornell cause he injured MoT's shoulder. :D

18. spaceboy

spaceboy Member

Too bad, I like Cornell. But it's not suprising, The C and PF positions are already filled up. Especially with the signing of Miller.

My prediction on who gets cut next...

Braggs, Muoneke, Wilks

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I think Scales will be cut before Wilks does, just because we have too many 2's. I would rather have wilks who can dribble and doesn't look to shoot and can get a team involved when moochie is acting a fool.

20. cloudnine

cloudnine Contributing Member

They got rid of these guys because they were marginal, no talent, preseason scrubs. People tend to fall in love with marginal, no talent, preseason scrubs every year.