1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Rockets release 50th Anniversary Team History Book

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 2, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff Balke is a 99er!

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I scanned through a few pages. It's a really thick book. I joke and call it a text book, which it sorta kinda is. Haven't looked at it since I received it.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It was an honor to be a part of writing that book. Essentially, my part was to cover the Rockets history from 1993 until the present. Fran Blinebury did everything prior to 1993 and there were a bunch of authors -- Matt Thomas, Sean Pendergast, Jack Callum, etc. -- who wrote various sidebars and the like. It was fascinating to talk to guys I grew up watching. I'm going to do a post for Clutch in the not-too-distant future with my own take on the process and what it was like to talk to these guys along with some of my personal experiences that weren't in the book. Keep a lookout.

Richie_Rich, Louka, nickb492 and 3 others like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait a minute? Jeff wrote this?

That is OUTSTANDING as he kind of got his start here too....Clutch you and your site are trendsetters, I still recall Jeff setting up Save our Rockets.com and writing a story for that .....

Honestly, this is a tribute to the Rockets, Clutchfans and Jeff.

DD

5. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Looks great, going to buy one.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Any love for OT, Maxwell, Herrera, 22-1 start, dominating the Bulls, the GM who created our championship team? The cover of course has Leslie...schmuck.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is this book available for sale or only season ticket holders?

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I haven't been able to find it on the NBA rockets store, i think I read it would be available in book stores in December or something. I also think it's available at the Rockets gift shop at TC. Wish I could go to the game tonight to get one. Would make a great Christmas gift.

mrm32 likes this.
  9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I. Have. To. Have. One.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

As I understand it, the book will become publicly available around the first of December on Amazon, etc. They might have it in the Rockets shop currently.

And, yes, it has OT, Maxwell, the 22-1 start, the Bulls, etc. I interviewed OT, Maxwell and T-Mac about all of them. I did read Blinebury's part and it does discuss the Patterson's and their importance in the building of the championship teams. I didn't see the final edit, but I do know it was in there.

This is essentially a Rockets history book. Someone earlier described it as like a textbook. It probably has a little of that vibe to it. It's supposed to. There hasn't been a "definitive history of the Houston Rockets franchise" ever assembled, so this is that. Lots of different teams have these. I looked through a handful of them while researching before writing.

If you are looking for some sort of ultimate fans' insider guide, this probably isn't it, but it is a MUST have for any Rockets die hard. Had I not participated in writing it, there is NO DOUBT one would be purchased and on my shelf. I'm sure I'll buy at least a few for family who are fans for Christmas.

heypartner likes this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Well, we know who didn't click Clutch's link in the opening post. :p

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, I called the Rockets shop last week, or whenever. They currently have some in stock, and will ship it, as well. I'll probably wait for Amazon to get free shipping. Thx for the headsup on Amazon.

13. dshedd

dshedd Member

I'm going to buy this book. :)
    Great reading material

14. theredbackpack

anybody know if this will ever be available again??

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is there a special 99ers edition?

Louka likes this.