1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To people having trouble coming to terms with President Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dei, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, anyone can be racist, but who are you suggesting that they are racist against? Hispanics? I kind of doubt my El Salvadorian buddy is racist against Hispanics.

Are they racist against black people? I'm pretty sure my other friend's wife would leave him and take the kids if he was racist against them.

It's MUCH more likely that they had other motivations to support Trump like they did and throwing around blanket labels is irresponsible.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

In fact, about a million more people will have voted for Romney than Trump - so the demographics are probably right about the same, except for those of us who chose to jump the GOP ship and vote third party instead.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

There's racism here in Minnesota too, no question. Minnesota is a more progressive version of Wisconsin with a much better urban center anchor in Minneapolis. You're right about the Golden Dawn comparison. But what you describe is the rationale behind your vote. But guess what, a lot of Greeks did vote for Golden Dawn. Dont forget Trump didn't get a popular vote majority. He got 1-2 percent wins in a handful of states that normally vote Democratic. But that is how our electoral system works. We have a system that benefited the odds of a Trump win and the math worked out just enough for him.

All I'm saying is as a country, we need to listen to each other and understand why people voted for Trump. It really isn't all about racism for some voters. Yes for some voters they are racist, sexist and/or xenophobic. But I promise you there are other reasons for why Trump won and you can't just label everyone who voted for Trump as a racist. As a country, we will never move past this if we chose to just brand everyone because of a Trump vote.

4. malakas

malakas Member

I don't know your friends but I can hypothesize a lot of different things. One black can be racist against Hispanics the Hispanic can be hating Muslims or both. Whatever.

In the end ...i don't care about your friends personally Bobby.
    They cast their votes for whom they want to represent them and lead them. Who they wanted to be the face of their country. Who they wanted to have the nuke codes and be in charge and sit in the table with Putin. They were aware and listened to what he was saying and supported it. And then went and dropped their stone to build the wall.
    That's enough.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

Since you like to paint with broad colors, I assume that you would say anyone who voted for Hillary supports corruption ans is a misogynist based on the way she treated the poor women assaulted by her husband? I also assume you believe that anyone associated with BLM wants to kill cops?

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

no one liked her, she declined in nearly every demo. I think it's unfair to blame black democrats for liking her about as much as anyone else did. I do think a lot of black people were excited about Obama because of race, that is true. But a lot of people were excited about him period. Hilary couldn't even get out the woman vote as a woman.

Obama was just charismatic and a good candidate. If the democrats could get an easy 10 million votes from black voters and win elections then I think you'd see a lot more black candidates moving forward.

7. Dei

Dei Member

No, as of counting, Trump already has more votes that Romney. Some Reps jumped shipped to Hillary *cough*George Bush*cough*, and I think it's a little more this time (good riddance to that segment, they're probably part of the criers), but the people who voted D and now voted R, most notably the Bernie supporters and the increase in minority and women votes probably more than made up for that, along with the votes from people who were absentee voters.

A true victory of the people.

AntiSonic likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's probably not fair to really "blame" them, but for sure that's a voting bloc that Hillary was absolutely counting on coming out in numbers to support her. That's why she had Obama on the trail as much as she did. It's why she did embarrassing interviews with R&B stations talking about how she has hot sauce in her bag.

I think that Democrats learn their lesson and never again nominate a white candidate for president, it's the best way to motivate their base. They could boost their numbers by a few million based on the color of their candidates skin alone.

9. malakas

malakas Member

There are plenty of racists here as well. No doubt about it. Also sexists and people who hate muslims/
    They also want to build a wall btw.
    The most they have received in the parliament elections is 400 k votes out of 11 million people population. And that's already too much . At least we didn't vote for them to be prime minister.

BUT those who voted for Golden Dawn the first time, most of them kept voting for them. That's why they kept their votes the same through the years.
    And that's the important part. They weren't a one election phenomenon a single time anti establishment anti-vote. Their voters are actual racists and hate immigrants. Even if it's the nice old lady that goes to the church every sunday and donates food for the children in palestine. (a large part of their voters are church goes "good christians" )
    When they first appeared the media after their shocking 6% results said it was mostly an antiestablishment vote. Turned out it was NOT.

You need to listen yes but if you all just say it doesn't mean anything it was just a one time thing you will be plenty surprised.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Romney received 60,933,504 votes in 2012. Trump has received 59,611,678 according to the NY Times.

AntiSonic likes this.
  11. Dei

Dei Member

I stand corrected.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I said last night I believe in democracy and accept the results.
    From my own POV that there might be some good things out of a Trump presidency.

I've often been very worried about the cold war talk regarding Russia and the PRC. If Trump can work with the Russians and reduce the tensions with them that will be a very good thing. Also in Sryia I've long felt that it was a mistake to lock US policy into being that Assad must go. Assad is a murderous dictator but fighting a very multifront battle has been very problematic. Assad is the official government of Syria and if Trump can work with the Russians and Assad regime on finally ending the threat of DAESH that could go a long way with establishing peace.

Trump's infrastructure program could help address many of the longterm problems with the US infrastructure and also be a boon to the construction industry.

AntiSonic likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

One silver lining so far is the conspicuous absence of bigotexxx. One would think he'd be gloating after Hillary's defeat but he's M.I.A. Maybe his conscience won't allow him to celebrate a Trump victory.

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

I'm both shocked & extremely disappointed by Trump's victory, but under his presidency I'll probably end up paying about $1 million less in taxes when compared to Hillary's tax policy.
    I plan on opening a new brokerage account and depositing $1 million into the new account on Jan 20th. I'll rename the account as "Personal Trump Fund" and every time Trump does something stupid or objectionable I'll open up the brokerage account and take a look at the balance as consolation.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. This is a major upset.
    Hillary yanked defeat from victory again

Rocket River