1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Rockets Latest DMo offer "multiyear starts at a fully guaranteed $7m in Yr 1"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 4, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

That's only the worse thing if they truly have a fall back option. Which they don't... because the Europe fall back option is only an option if DMo feels so disrespected he's willing to leave a lot of money on the table. There is no way the guy goes to Europe, and even if he plays amazing, comes back and makes up whatever he has lost money wise. Beyond that, he won't play amazing in Europe because that's not how they play in Europe. H emight play great, but won't get extensive minutes and it'll be hard to tell.

If he truly thought he was leaving a TON of guaranteed money on the table, as you note, he should have just taken the QO.

I don't know if there is such a things as BOTH a team option and a player option. I don't see why not, unless the CBA prohibits it. Give him the multi-year deal, both WITH the team option, and WITH a player option. The only way it is guaranteed beyond one year is if both parties opt-in. Seems fair...

2. malakas

malakas Member

7.1 million.

3. craguin

craguin Member

I think it could be as late as November 17th if you equate 3 months to a 90-day period.

malakas likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You are right about the QO , but offer sheets for RRA's have to be at least 3 years I think ... Maybe bima or someone else with knowledge can check

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Assuming it increases like most NBA deals, I would count that as a pretty fair contract for an RFA in D-Mo's situation.

Given his posture towards negotiations so far I of course wouldn't expect it to be accepted.

6. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Bro wtf is that analogy lmao

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He will make a great asset for a trade when the trade deadline comes.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Lithuania and let's say Spain are not exactly close. By now he should feel more at home in Texas than in a foreign country he doesn't even speak the language. Also his gf is Canadian or smth I think.

heypartner likes this.
  9. boiler

boiler Member

If this is true, he is screwed.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So, do we know why Houston is putting November 23rd out there as an unofficial deadline to get a DMo deal done?
    Stein said Dmo would be "ineligible to be traded after that date." How so?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Donatas Motiejunas saga in Houston has strayed into November, but stay tuned.

After weeks of mostly silence about the restricted free agent's future, action is starting to bubble here.

Whether that action results in a deal that restores Motiejunas to active duty remains to be seen, but league sources say that the Rockets have ramped up their attempts to sign the Lithuanian power forward, with Thanksgiving Week serving as an unofficial deadline for a deal.

Nov. 23 is the date of particular significance, sparked by the fact Motiejunas can't be traded this season if he's signed after that date, which could potentially lower his value with potential outside suitors as well. Any new deal with Motiejunas after Nov. 23 would leave less than two months before the league's annual Feb. 23 trade deadline, making him ineligible to be included any potential deals, something that the ever-aggressive Rockets would prefer to avoid.

Motiejunas remains a restricted free agent after he chose to let Houston's $4.4 million qualifying offer for this season expire Oct. 1. Sources told ESPN on Friday that the Rockets' latest offer is a multiyear deal that starts at $7 million annually, with attainable incentives that could take it to $8 million.

The Rockets are hesitant to guarantee future seasons in a new contract, sources say, in a nod to the back injury that scuttled Houston's trade with Detroit in February that briefly made Motiejunas a Piston until the deal was voided due to a failed physical.

Six teams out there still possess in excess of $10 million in salary-cap space to make a play for him if they wish -- Philadelphia, Denver, Brooklyn, Utah, Phoenix and Minnesota -- but the Rockets remain able to match any offer Motiejunas receives.

As ESPN's Calvin Watkins reported recently, Motiejunas stopped receiving paychecks from last season's $2.2 million salary on Nov. 1. Another option available to the 26-year-old, of course, is signing a deal to play overseas this season, but the money available abroad typically falls well shy of NBA levels.‎ He would also remain a restricted free agent in that scenario.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree....but I don't think you can do that anymore - I believe any deal has to be at least 2 years if it is not the Rockets.

DD

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Spain is a lot closer to Lithuania than Texas. Also, why not just go back to the Lithuanian league and be their highest paid player for a year before coming back to the NBA and getting a better deal than the Rockets are currently offering? I mean the MLE is likely to be over 8 mil next season and after a year of beating up on inferior competition and showing he's healthy, he'd get plenty of offers.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah ok, but how about for next summer? Not sure how much this move would cost them IF (maybe they've no interest in next free agency) they plan to sign someone in free agency, i'm pretty sure they'll have not much cap space after resigning Adams and Oladipo...

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And there you go.

16. boiler

boiler Member

I agree, going back to Europe is not a good option. I haven't seen any player signed a big contract right after playing overseas. And he would still be a RF.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Because of a CBA rule. If we sign him after Nov 23rd (we actually think its Nov 16th/17th), there is a lock on trading Bird signees for 3 months, which puts us past the Trade Deadline

See OP: as I use it to consolidate news being posted. @craguin explains it.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

DMo, hurry up and sign so we can trade you. :D

craguin likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Let him walk.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Motiejunas is absolutely NOT getting more money than that in Europe..