1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fool Control, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Your friend was driving high. He's an idiot. Or at least he was that day. Same thing coulda happened from cough syrup. Even if he had a cough.

Ten out of ten doctors will tell you alcohol's worse for you. Plus it's physically addictive (which weed isn't), plus it kills people every day (which weed never has).

And I never said weed was good for you. Responding to the people who say potheads (and we don't even know if Eddie is one) should go to detox or are probably on crack -- both incredibly stupid things to say.

2. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Originally posted by <b>Batman Jones</b>
    Over-reaction of the year. Weed is not addictive and has never killed a single person in the history of the world

Actually there is one instance of ODinng on weed.
    A pirate in the late 18th centruty ate about 1.5 kilos of hash and died from it.

I know way too much about weed, but I do not know what this has to do with Eddie.
    He has one drug possesionon his record. Harldy makes him a current drug addict. He has some issue obiously. Hopefully the team is making the stern public face (which it should) while trying to get him help behind the scenes (which the team shoudl be doing as well).

Eddie is a team meber and an investment and the Rox should be trying to protect their investment by getting him help. They can't force anything on him though, so it is also in his lap.

3. Batman Jones

Give me a break. Believe all the hype you want. You're still wrong. No one has ever died from the act (or habit) of smoking pot. If people drive while impaired, of course someone could die, but they weren't killed by the weed -- they were killed by someone driving on weed. Alcohol, on the other hand, kills people all by itself -- driving or not -- every single day.

p.s. ShotCaller: Hash isn't weed.

4. Kiki

Kiki Member

Sure, if you phrase it like that, then it could be true, but you're being very restrictive. The point is that people smoke weed, then get behind the wheel, then kill people. I don't care what other things can cause a driver to be impaired, I just know that weed is one of them...ergo, weed kills people.

ps - What if I said "Alcohol has never killed anyone in the history of the world"? This would be true if you take it in it's literal form...unless of course someone actually drowned in a pool of Jack Daniels. You can bend the words all you want, but the truth that alcohol kills is still there. ;)

5. Batman Jones

kiki: Alcohol kills people all by itself. It doesn't take driving on it to do it. And it doesn't take drinking an ocean of Jack Daniels. They die from myriad alcohol related diseases. This doesn't belong in this forum (though it's hard not to have this debate when people who obviously know absolutely nothing about drugs that they didn't learn from Nancy Reagan keep spouting this nonsense) and it's not even open for debate. It's not a theoretical question; it's a scientific fact. Get on the internet and do some research. mar1juana is less harmful than alcohol: fact. No one has ever died as a direct result of smoking mar1juana: fact. Many, many thousands have died as a direct result of drinking alcohol: fact. Alcohol is extremely physically addictive: fact. mar1juana is not physically addictive at all: fact.

If you want to do some research (you need to before you talk about this more) and meet me in the D&D, fine. I'll be waiting.

As for the GARM, I'll say one more time that you and all the other silly alarmists are flat wrong, and then I'll stop talking about it in here.

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Pot has more cancer causing chemicals in it than cigarettes, but I guess they haven't killed anybody either.:rolleyes:

Inhaling any form of smoke regularly is a good way to kill yourself, and if you can't see the truth in that alone you have no business questioning the inteligence of your bong. Much less calling anybody a moron.

Why don't you go skip a couple of days work without calling in, you and Eddie probably have a lot to talk about.

p.s. hash is made from pot

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Kiki
    Thank you. I am baffled why Bartman still does not get it. My point is if Eddie's 'alleged' drug issues made him miss practice-game-practice and not call then I think it is never too soon to take it serious and find help for him in any form possible - either to the overreaction degree or otherwise. Something is wrong and a mere wave of the hand will not work this time. I am worried for Eddie and if care is not taken basketball could be a secondary issue for him.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LMAO, you just said that to a hippieloser. :D :D :D

9. Batman Jones

okie: meet me in D&D and we can have this whole sorry debate that we have every couple months all over again.

p.s. Bullets are made from lead.

10. okierock

And you will still be wrong.

I hope the bullet comment is not a threat.

11. Batman Jones

Dude, thanks for the gut laugh. I'm really not the kind of person to shoot someone cause they disagreed with me about weed on a BBS, so no, it's not a threat. Really good. Thanks. Really. I was responding to your p.s. Okay. Bye now.

12. Kiki

Kiki Member

I think you're putting words in my mouth. I never argued any of your facts. My ONLY point is that weed kills, even if indirectly. Just that one point, that's it, nothing else. And I think we can agree to that.

And my point in the ps was that alcohol in and of itself has not killed anyone...only when someone actually picks it up and drinks it does it become harmful. I was just trying to show how your arguement that "No one has ever died as a direct result of smoking mar1juana" may be true, but deosn't really mean much under some scrutiny. Thanks for the debate...it's been fun.:)

13. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

To get back to the issue at hand, to be BLUNT (HA! GET IT?!) Griff clearly needs some kind of counseling. Let's all keep him (and our poor Rockets) in our best wishes and prayers as this struggle plays out.

14. okierock

Thanks for the reminder that we are talking about a real person who needs help.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

As someone who has actual real-life experience with the substance in question (I smoked constantly when not at work or at school from the time I was 15-25), I felt that this post needed to be emphasized again since the hippie speaks the gospel truth here.

From the kind of rhetoric I see from a lot of the less knowledgable(about drugs) posters, I see that Nancy's "Just Say No" and "The Truth" ads have been very effective.

Weed is NOT addictive
    Weed's effects do not last long enough for a person to still be stoned hours after the last time they had some.
    Weed does NOT automatically lead to harder drugs...ie, just because he smokes doesnt mean he is on crack.

Does Eddie have a problem? unequivocally...yes
    Do the Rockets have a problem on their hands....yes

but as fans of the team...each and every one of us should be praying to the deity of our choices that he manages to overcome his problems since we need him and his trade value is **** right now.
    So, like him or not...we are stuck with him...get used to it and hope he can overcome

16. H-town_playa2k2

Damn no one wanted to listen to me,when I said Eddie was in deep shiznit. I know his baby moma's close cousin(thats my realiable source), she's been telling me alot of dirt on him. She told me that less than 4 weeks ago, Eddie's brother pulled a gun out on her family, demanding they give him Eddie's child. But thats not it, her cousin and Eddie are crazy in love, and she told me something that shocked the **** out of me. She said that Eddie didnt want to play ball no more(now that F*** uped, we dont need that mentality on the team. She also showed me a pic of Eddie blowing smoke out of his mouth, he had a rolled sweet(lol) I told her not to let them pic's get out, cause Eddie would be f***ed.

Most of yall wont believe me and maybe some of you will, but I swear on my family thats what she told me and showed me.

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Man, if someone doesn't want to play a game and get paid millions for it, they've got problems. Maybe he's having problems dealing with all that the NBA brings?

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Now if he is having problems with depression, or dealing with the pressure, or dealing with the hangers-on that his position brings(be that male or female) - I can understand why he might be trying to escape by using drugs.

Sometimes drug users are self-medicating themselves, and sometimes they are getting away from their problems in the only way they know how. I hope the Rockets can deal with his root problems, and not just the symptoms.

19. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

want to give us some proof?
    look heres the thing about weed and alcohol and cigarettes
    you can not overdose on weed, but you CAN die of drinking too much alcohol....alcohol poisoning etc.
    weed is a natural plant, it is only harvested, dried and smoked, unlike cigarettes which are dried and mixed in with tons of different chemicals
    to say that driving while you are stoned and getting into an accident proves that weed kills people is ignorant; its the choice you make to get behind the wheel.
    so if you are going to drink or smoke mar1juana, be smart and dont drive....you already made the mistake the first time with either drinking or smoking, dont make another one by risking your and other people's lives as well