1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scuba Diving Flower Garden Banks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCity Zero, Nov 3, 2016.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Has anyone on the forum dove this reef in the Gulf, or maybe could recommend any other good sites that don't require travel outside the state? or is it better to just travel and not bother with local unless for training/experience?

I recently got into scuba diving and am PADI OW cert'd, looking at advanced/rec eventually... anyway I did my training in Lake Travis (which while still fun for me and great experience due to limited visibility) wasn't as exciting as diving in the Bahamas (obviously). I have 7 logged dives so am still fairly new to it but really love it. My recent dive in the Bahamas in August was awesome, I got to dive with Caribbean reef sharks and observe some great wildlife around a tanker.

Anyway, I am looking at Cozumel/Belize and a few other sites (hopefully Indonesia area too eventually, maybe Great Barrier some day). I am trying to get in some great spots before more of the reefs are messed up/bleached etc.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully some of you guys are divers.

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I got certified through a college course with an open water recreational license years ago at SFASU. The instructors are world renowned divers and are at the pinnacle of the diving world. They train the top divers in the world and its really strange to see them in a small town such as Nacogdoches. Anyway, they offer a trip to Cozumel every year for students and anybody who wants to join. They have a group discounted package you can purchase, that includes airfare, hotel and all diving accommodations. Check them out at diversdepot.com

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I haven't done it but I've heard good things about it and would like to one day. The only places I've dove in Texas are Lake Travis, Lake 288, and Blue Lagoon which are all similar quality.

CCity Zero and shastarocket like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

My dad made several dives at The Flower Gardens -- it's about 70 miles off the coast I believe. He loved it said it was like going to another world -- he couldn't recommended it enough.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Awesome man, thanks so much! I was thinking it might be an easier dive to get out to vs booking a flight etc. I'm going to look into it.

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I'll definitely check that site out donkeypunch, I've heard a lot of great things about Cozumel diving.

If anyone else has any info or suggestions definitely post :) thanks again

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah, a 2-3 hour boat ride to an extremely diverse and beautiful reef off the Texas coast -- for anything similar you would be flying somewhere.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, thanks again