1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Montrezl Harrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Von Rafer, Jan 29, 2016.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

If you are desperate for rebounds, put in Josh Smith or Capela at the 4. I don't see a place for a big man who can't rebound and has no range. Really, if you are electing not to go small, you are doing so to get a rebounding advantage. Therefore, your big men need to be able to rebound to get minutes.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Josh Smith is terrible at basketball though. Also, Harrell has really worked on his range and can hit the 3 at least as well as Josh Smith or Corey Brewer and significantly better than Capela.

3. oakdogg

What makes you say this about Harrell's shooting? He missed the only 3 he attempted in the NBA. He's jacking up 4 a game in the D League, but he's only making 22% - much worse than Smith or Brewer.

Still, it seems there are advantages to small ball coaches like that go beyond just shooting range. DMo is a good 3 point shooter, but he is usually sat in favor of small ball for the same reason as Harrell. The compelling reason not to do small ball is rebounding, from my observation. If Harrell or DMo aren't going to deliver the big advantage of going big or traditional, then why not just go small?

1 person likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is somewhat a pet peeve of mine. Your point is still valid, just the wrong player. Brewer never plays the 4 for us. You mean, "still better than going small with Ariza." Brewer has never played in a lineup when there wasn't a 4 and 5, as well. He's always with Ariza + PF/C, or with a PF and C.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fb%2Fbreweco01%2Flineups%2F2016%2F&div=div_lineups-5-man"></script>

I guess the reason people say this is because Brewer is often the one subbing in for the actual C or PF, when we go small. But Ariza will already be on the court, so Brewer takes the 3 and Ariza slides over to the 4.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just look at his shot and I think it has potential. Right now he doesn't quite have 3 point range, but he's solid shooting from mid range.

When it comes to rebounding, Harrell is one of the only players on the roster that you can count on to consistently box someone out, basically if he doesn't get the board, you can pretty much bet his guy isn't going to get it. That's valuable even if it's not as easy to see by simply looking at a box score. Playing Harrell over Brewer you get more rebounding, more defense, and more energy without really sacrificing anything.

Honestly I think the reason they go small ball with Brewer is solely due to JBB's love affair with Brewer and honestly going small with KJ would be a better idea.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Brewer is the player brought on when the player at the 4 goes out. Sure Ariza plays the 4, but the swap out is PF for Brewer. You still lose size, defense, and rebounding.

7. oakdogg

Yeah, I don't think Harrell is a scrub. Just seems to me that rebounding might be his Achilles Heel in the NBA, and I'm under the impression that is something that doesn't often improve significantly in a player's career. I am no expert on small ball, but it seems to be the trend throughout the NBA.

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

The team may rebound better with Harrell on the floor because he actually boxes out his man. That's just a thought.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

If we are really trying for a playoff spot conventional wisdom says to play veterans over rookies that haven't played much the entire season . Despite the fact that veteran is Brewer who has a penchant for stupid plays himself , I've gotta side with brew for the "playoff run." There is a higher probability that brew suddenly figures some stuff out and is marginally productive than there is Harrell can play fundamentally sound bball

10. Mr Chuck Norris

I just don't understand....,

11. Mr Chuck Norris

#FreeTrez BTW

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

26 and 13 tonight for the Vipers.

[youtube]lUdYheod9EU[/youtube]

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

^Looks like Joshua Smith hasn't lost any weight. Sad. He could possibly be an NBA player if he shed some LBs

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hard to see here, but from previous games he looks like he's dropped a good 10-15lbs since he was with us in the preseason. That's not going to show a lot on a 300lb+ dude.

It's probably hard for players to lose weight during a season, I've rarely seen it happen. This summer will be important I think, I agree he could be a nice rotation player but given where the NBA is going these days he's not close to an ideal weight. Needs to lose another 30lbs IMO and I'm not sure that's going to happen.

What's awesome is that he's already good in the post, very quick and nimble feet and I imagine he would be even quicker if he wasn't carrying all that weight.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Play Trezl at Center. :cool:

16. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

ThIs lineup of
    Harden
    Gordon
    Ariza
    Anderson
    Harrell
    is lethal, all 5 guys can shoot. Harrell is better than soft ass Capela.

BigggReddd and D-rock like this.
  17. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

He looked great tonight but then again it was the knicks.. their d was so bad. he needs more min

DonKnock and ilovehtownbb like this.
  18. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

no matter which league... keep gettin it done Champ

It's a tough league & the rox need every ounce of ur spirit :cool:

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

I wish he was in regular rotation

20. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Absolutely love his energy. He gets after it. He brings a less than predictable dimension to our offensive and defensive sets. I think he earned his minutes and i anticipate him seeing some time with nene or clint whnever we go harden gordon bev/kj on some stretches

ArtV and D-rock like this.