1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What is Youre Most Painful Memory as a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocket b-liever, Oct 16, 2003.

1. NickC19

NickC19 Member

In reference to Stockton's buzzer beater that is....

2. rocket b-liever

Whoops im sorry, yea...Game 6. It won't let me go back an edit my message

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Those were my choices exactly.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Yeah the Stockton shot/Malone grab *STINKIN DIRTY CHEATERS!!!!!!!* sorry..

that one is too easy..

For serious pain, it would have to be that final shot of the playoff game against Seattle that Vernon took, falling away from 17, when DIRECTLY UNDER THE BASKET, WIDE OPEN, STOOD OTIS THORPE READY TO JAM IT HOME FOR THE WIN!!! Instead, that nut job Maxwell decides to try a desperation toss that had no chance of going in the hole. Season over. And it could have, should have, been a victory for us instead.

Bah. I liked Vernon's intensity, but his brain was way worse than Steve or Cuttino's.

and that's saying something

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

ehh...I was more confident in Vernon's ability to hit an off balance buzzer beater to win (which I remember him doing a bunch) rather than his ability to rifle a pass in to OT and have him get a shot off in tiime.

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Game six, 1981, Rockets vs Cetics. Same year, the Astros lost to the LA Dodgers.
    in the 1981, NLDS, in five games.

This basketball/baseball pain would be repeted in 1986.

:(

7. Fool Control

Fool Control New Member

Olajuwon falling on Ralph Sampson's knee. Lewis Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins getting suspended for drugs. John Lucas getting suspended for drugs. The Stockton shot (you could hear a pin drop in the summit after that). Next was drafting John Turner!

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Since I've never been a Rocket, I don't have any painful memories...

9. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

Draft Night 2000

In the second round the Houston Rockets select: Eduardo Najera :)

later traded for Dan "The Man" Langi :mad:

I still fill the pain !

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yep, me too. We were the better team, and you're right about Robinsons tip-in being the only reason the game wasn't in Houston. :mad:

Also, game 6 at Boston Garden in 86. All those "Sampson is a sissy" signs plus the Celtics were just playing with us like a cat playing with it's kill. Our bench had to leave early so as not to get mobbed by the fans after the buzzer.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Also, I was at the game when the sonics beat us 136-80 at home. Worst loss in the history of the franchise. Can't remember what year.

12. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That Stockton 3-pointer was definitely it for me as well.

13. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

To me it was the memory of Clyde seting up that play.. by shooting the ball with 7 or more seconds.. instead... of doing it with a second or two.... and securing... a overtime....

Bad decision ... for a veteran.. and his last decision... :mad:

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The way the Refs called the 83 game against the sonics. So many bad NON-CALLS. It looked like they had put a lot of money on the SONICS. The rockets sould have gone onto beat the Bulls and that would have said it all!

15. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Well...My most painful memory as a Rocket is when I got released due to the salary cap.

Darn!

16. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

1: malone tackle
    2: 93 or 94 Sonic Playoff game 7
    3: 96 Celtic finals loss.
    4: Dream traded
    5: last 4 years

nuff said

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Amen.

Second choice: When they traded Ralph and we all realized that we'd never see the 5 or 6 trophies the Twin Towers were supposed to bring us.

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The Stockton shot hurt so much just as a fan.

But I also felt sooooo very disappointed the night we had 3 first round picks and passed up R. Lewis.

I just wanted him to stay in Houston real bad and it seemed to be such a no brainer.
    And we had to endure 3 tense moments at the podium,

On that last pick I was totally convinced we were going to select him, my jaw dropped and I felt this pit in my stomach... I was convinced that would come back to show us up.

19. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Stockton dagger did it for me....wasn't as bad as the Oilers pants dropping in Buffalo, but Stockton heart my well-being that day.

20. aljthomas34

aljthomas34 Member

Definite most painful Rocket memory was the 1993 - Rockets at Spurs regular season finale that cost us Game 7 at home against Seattle. I think the funniest thing I remember about that is Gene Peterson losing sight of the fact that he was on live radio and beginning to cuss out Ronnie Nunn or whoever else was officiating that night. He lost all sense of reality and went off on a "that's total bulls$&@#" tirade while his co-host is trying to go to commercial break. Great stuff...