1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Older International Freshman - thoughts or advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Downtown Sniper, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hi team,

This is going to be a rather long post so I apologise in advance. For the time sensitive the gist of it is: is a 30 year old from Australia going to be out of place at college?

I'm a few months shy of turning 29, and have not been happy with my life for the past couple of years, nor do I see any future improvements with the way things are going currently.

I had the whole future planned out with the one crucial bit of information being I was in the Army - so it comes as no surprise that when I think back on everything - it's basically been doom and gloom ever since I was medically discharged.

The best times of my life were in the Army, and when I spent a month in Texas.

What started out with an obsession with the Rockets lead me to Houston, and within days everything about Texas and the South grew on me.

I've done a fair bit of research and I am eligible to attend Colleges that have an open admission policy.

Just dream with me here for a minute - IF everything worked out the way I hoped it would - I would be starting in 2018. Which would put me at 30 years old in February.

I've never stepped foot into a University in Australia as I went straight into the Army out of high school. The thought of going to one now mortifies me due to how judgemental the younger kids in Sydney are.

Obviously I don't know whether it would be the same in Texas, or if I'm just overthinking things.

I note that on the College websites it breaks down the yearly fees - with one of the items being covered 'Room & Board'. Is is compulsory to stay on campus? And if not, what do people advise?

Is there anyone here who's gone to College as an older student who want to share their experiences of have any words of advice and wisdom?

Still dreaming here - I would be looking to go to a College that puts me within public transport distance of the Toyota Centre (probably nothing over 90 minutes one way). As I'd no doubt (with the intention to at least) be attending every home game (including doing this for a couple of games again:http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/section-126a-row-aa.194099/)

In relation to the above - how far outside of Downtown could I realistically look at a College whilst still being able to get to the Toyota Centre?

I don't think I will be able to afford the $35K yearly tuition at the University of Houston for an international student - just before that's the suggestion ha.

I appreciate the time taken to have a read, and also thank you in advance for any help or information you reply with.

It's a genuine question as I'm determined to finally shake things up in life and start going down a path that will bring enjoyment - instead of hating getting out of bed in the morning to go to a job I hate - whilst feeling that's all I'm living for.

If you'd like to offer any advice that you wouldn't like to share in public please feel free to email me: matthew.fish11@gmail.com.

Again, thanks all. It's greatly appreciated.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I am not an older college student, but I will tell you, age doesn't matter in college or university. Plenty of people in similar stories to you have gone back to school due to work, family, career change, etc. Shouldn't be shy or worried for any reason, if anything younger students will maybe be a bit hesitant at first to speak with you, but may look to you for guidance in both school and life. Embrace it, be comfortable with yourself, know that you're doing this for you, and everything else shouldn't matter. You'll make plenty of friends both young and old through study groups.

UH D (University of Houston Downtown) may be closer to Toyota Center than UH Main (University of Houston Main Campus) by the way (Two different schools, two difference systems, it's weird). Would you need to start off at a University, or could you attend community college (A LOT cheaper for your basics) first such as HCC ( Houston Community College)then work your way up? Hope this helps!

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

If you go to a school like UH or community college, there's no problem being an older guy like LCAhmed says. If you do want to live in Houston/Texas though, I recommend getting a car, public transportation is not the best here. I hope you do end up coming here, it's a great city!

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No one cares. In college I was friends with a guy 10 years older than everyone. In fact he was probably more popular than I was. Trust me you will be way more interesting than anyone else that is there with your life experiences. It might even be easier to make friends.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'd look into University of St. Thomas in the montrose area. Great location and not far from Toyota Center

6. conquistador#11

No need to feel out of place. Dangerfield was like 60 when he went back to college. make sure to post spring break pictures!

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One thing is for sure.....you're gonna absolutely wreck shop on college girls with that Australian accent. One of my roommates was from Brisbane, and I'd say he was responsible for over 50% of my sexcapades in college. All he had to do was open his mouth, and the girls came running.

On a more serious note, I'd say your best bet would be to attend Houston Community College for a semester or two just to get your feet wet, and familiarize yourself with the system and the environment. Once you've done that, you'll be equipped with more tools to make a better decision as far as where you want to actually get your degree from. There are some really amazing universities in Houston and in Texas. Good luck!!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I went to school with a 70 year old widow. Everybody loved her. It wasn't an issue in the slightest.

If money is an issue, I'd definitely go the community college route. There are plenty in the area. 3 systems: HCC, San Jacinto, Lone Star.

You can probably establish residency during this time and get in state tuition when you transfer to a university.

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=6D1466D9-AEA5-DE00-C12F3F75E7367718

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

get on the bangermobile. Our chicks probably don't compare to the aussie ones though.

11. Glish21

Glish21 Member

Do it man.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As long as you don't have your head up your ass, no one cares.

Relax, enjoy, and be in good company.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Check out HCC Central Campus which seems to check most of your boxes. It's in Midtown, has really good access to public transport, it's cheap. Midtown is a central area that's close to "everything" but the area itself is decent. It's a diverse neighborhood with a decent food, music, art, scene. But it's an urban area for sure with some rough edges so keep that in mind.

University of St. Thomas also checks alot of your boxes but it's a private school and really facking expensive. Same goes for Rice and you've already mentioned UH. UHD (downtown) doesn't feel or look like a college campus.

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

international students on the F1 visa can't establish residency.
    are you applying as an F1 student, Sniper? I work in a community college international admissions office and l say go for it!

one thing you should keep in mind is, the 35 grand is only the requirement for admission to receive the acceptance letter and I-20. That's estimated combined cost of full time tuition and living in the city. if you use a financial sponsor such as a family member, or if you can show a bank letter with those funds in a checking or savings account, and you can prove the same when you are applying for the visa, then you will be past that obstacle as far as that goes. depending on where you decide to apply to, they will all have similar financial requirements, but where you find a place to live is up to you, and maybe through the power of clutchfans networking you can find yourself a decent place to stay and save some cash. it may be difficult to get a job outside of campus work unless you are doing internship/practical work related to your major. you could also apply for scholarships and other kinds of financial aid as an international student once you arrive.

you are a shoe in for admission and visa application coming from an English speaking country. age is the last thing you should be thinking about, you would be surprised once you enter the halls of a US university or community college. if you have any questions, I would be glad to try and help you reach your goals! say the word and I will email you... good luck!

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wanna reiterate what others have said, and enroll in some community college classes, first. This allows you, not only to perhaps transfer credits to your intended destination (A&M, UT, UH, etc), but it's also cheaper and you're able to get used to the pace of college classes.

I'd also advise to you ask your academic advisor, at whatever school you decide to enroll in, about these very same questions. More often than not, they're able to elaborate upon their answers. CF means well, but when you get answers like "just do it, man!" or "it wasn't a problem when I was there," the stuff behind these answers is a bit lacking.

In saying that, though, I had a classmate in my gen chem lab, back in 2011, and he looked like he was about 50 or so - dude was the life of the party.

Personally, I don't think it matters one bit whether you're Australian or American, 30 or pushing 100. People in college are very accepting of every lifestyle and background.

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Thanks for your replies so far - it's greatly appreciated.

I'm pressed for time right now so I won't be able to individually reply to each message until later.

Just a quick question: what is the difference between community college and a proper college?

And when the notion of transferring is brought up - does that mean I don't need to complete the full two year course of community college before transferring to another university to undergo the full 4 year course?

Also, in my investigation it looks like the F1 visa that across110thstreet mentioned is what I would be applying for. Is it at all possible to gain employment with that to support myself whilst studying?

I'm no doubt going to have so many questions for you across110thstreet!

17. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm gonna give you some low key secret advice:

You can get in-state tuition if you work certain (I'm not sure about all) jobs on campus.

What are you looking to major in? I can help guide you in a lot of regards.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I know you can work on campus jobs on a F1 Visa without a problem. Just get a SSN and you're good to go.

19. TheresTheDagger

This ^^^

Also, if its something you can arrange I THINK if you can establish residency for 1 year before actually starting school you can gain in state residency. Again, check with your advisor for whatever school you select to attend...1 year was the requirement when I moved to Texas A&M from Montana but that was almost 30 years ago.

Also....I can't imagine ANYONE having a problem with a 30 year old in school here. There are actually a fair number of people in this position...for example folks who were in the military first and decided to go afterwords. Really impressed you're stepping out of your comfort zone and doing this. I am certain you will not regret it. :)

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Tell the other freshmen you can buy beer and become a sex god.