1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[90s Nostalgia] Oasis Documentary Trailer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Sep 6, 2016.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Oasis was never sued for plagiarism. So no

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oasis is definitely above average. I like them, enough. They had plenty of great tunes, and were extraordinary tune-smiths. Unfortunately they didn't really develop as they went along in their career. They did explore within their little niche, but they weren't exactly groundbreaking.

I still like them, but don't love them. They have a favorable rating, but not earth-shattering. I do look forward to watching the documentary.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DYIGZrwlTZc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JefV3XUxBlw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One song, "Step Out", bore such a close resemblance to the song "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" by Stevie Wonder that it was removed from the album shortly before release due to the threat of legal action.

They were never sued but came very very close.

My shout on them; on the day they played their first Houston show in early 95 I got to meet and take Liam and Bonehead to McDonald's to get the band and crew food. Hanging around outside their bus I spoke to Liam about the show the night before in Austin and how he like #'s much better than Liberty Lunch said "it's a proper club". I took the chance to ask him about the recently recorded 2nd LP by the Verve, A Northern Soul, and he said it was amazing. At this point their manager comes out and ask if anyone can take them to get food from McD's. I ask if they wanted to somewhere nicer but no take us there now! So I got to ride shot gun with Liam and Bonehead in the back seat and drove down Westhemier and got like $40 worth of ****ty food for the band, Manc accent placing an order was TFF. Also said, I know you're not United fans but what did you think of Eric Cantona going into the stands? Bonehead said he was a United fan but they both said "he's done for!"

So I proceed to get too drunk drinking Margaritas for dinner and then pound beers at the club, throw up after 2 songs, pass out at the bar in #'s and get thrown out by the police.

2 people like this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You suckers got trolled.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I listened to Be Here Now on my way home from work today after reading some responses. I agree that it's a pretty underrated album. I probably haven't listened to it in 15+ years, but it all sounded familiar, so I know I must have been jamming it back in 97. Kind of has a timeless quality to it, so it holds up well.

I think it was maybe just a little too massive and ambitious. The average song length is like over 6 minutes. I wouldn't say it's overproduced since that implies it's kind of sterilized and clean sounding, which for the most part it isn't, but it did have a little too much wall of sound going on. Agree with BigM that a lot of songs off the album may be better stripped down. "Magic Pie" is probably my favorite off the album.

6. DCkid

Awesome story man. Too bad we didn't have smartphones back in the day.

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Coming in at #2 was actually viewed as an underperformance at the time. They were #1 by miles in England up until shortly after Be Here Now (every NME article mentioned them), but they were never the biggest in America. For instance, they didn't sell as much as Melon Collie & Infinite Sadness, and that was a double album. They were trendy with Morning Glory, but like I said - there was a definite backlash in the US with the cancellations and Liam just being viewed as a brat. The year Be Here Now was released, OK Computer and Urban Hymns were definitely more popular in England.

I think y'all already know, but Oasis is known for "borrowing" parts of songs openly. Cigarettes & Alcohol is about the most blatant ripoff - took the famous riff from T Rex's Bang a Gong - which had been exponentially more popular in England in the early 70's than in America. So no one missed that "borrowing" over there. In case you want to rip off an Oasis song, Noel has openly said he would never sue anyone for plagiarizing him.

8. DCkid

On second thought, maybe that was a good thing.

9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Indeed. :p

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Oasis was pretty open about "ripping off" some stuff. John Lennon for one.

Also, you're right oakdogg. I'm pretty sure "Writing to Reach You" by Travis is an example of this.

This is one of my favorite versions of any Oasis song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jZpi2KnxOu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Forward to 41:00

Edit: this YouTube version is garbage quality and the only one I can find. The "Unplugged" version of Cast No Shadow is really great though with better quality audio.

#30 DudeWah, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Coldplay was sued by Joe Satriani, and there was no way in hell they were listening to Joe Satriani songs in 2005. Or 1990, for that matter. Or any year, as should be the case for all of us when it comes to Joe Satriani (who seems like a nice guy, and he's a talented player, but ... Joe Satriani).

That said, eff Coldplay who are dull as dishwater and Oasis is marvy.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

IDK. They did settle out of court

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UvB9Pj9Znsw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Buck Turgidson

If you went to a house or a bar in the mid-90's, it was guaranteed that some chick would put on Oasis. Every. Damn. Time.

It was the 90's "Eagles Greatest Hits", but better.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

The documentary is now out, they had a "One Night in Theaters" last Wednesday, wasn't able to make it at Alamo Drafthouse but has been released on VOD, just got done watching it.

Loved it, starts out how they arrive by helicopter at the previously mentioned Knebworth concert in front of a quarter million people, goes through their early stages of the group, bad history with their father, tours outside the UK, then back to the Knebworth concert. Was a bit disappointed they didn't go beyond that late '96 timeline but it was the beginning of the end. Loved their reaction when they went to Japan the first time, they were treated like the president by their fans, and the band didn't even know if they understood English. They showed their appearance on Letterman, but their MTV Unplugged and SNL appearance was missing. Didn't know about the first drummer, Tony McCarroll sued the band in '99 for royalties.

If the timeline was right, it was wild to see the band play a rough cut of "All Around the World" in '91 and was released 5 years later on the "Be Here Now" album.

Highly recommend if you're a fan

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VOD on which provider?

16. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

17. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Oasis was successfully sued for the unlicensed use by The New Seekers and they had to pay out $500,000 (Australian dollars). When asked about the incident, Noel Gallagher said,

“We drink Pepsi now.”

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@SamFisher
    Owns the Live by Sea video

sings Cigarettes and Alcohol when he's driving through McDonald's