1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stay calm]: It's just one game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Either that or they're being delusional about the coaching style.

That was about as Mike Antoni as you can get last night. 5-8 seconds to hit shots once you cross half court, and run and gun. There is absolutely nothing magical or efficient about it. We will win games, the players will like padding their stats. Why would anyone be surprised by last night? Why would anyone expect something different?

120+ points each. Why wouldn't anyone want to pat themselves on the back seeing that?

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Do not confuse effort with results. Last year teams were bombing on wide open 3 balls and beating us. I saw a few miscommunications with regard to rotations but it looked like guys were trying. Shots were being contested much better than last year. I also saw some players who get better results than others with their effort. I will say they need to work on boxing out on the perimeter. Saw a play where Nene had his guy boxed out but his guy was still able to tip it to a teammate who got by his man for a put back. Had the other Rockets been boxing out, that tip goes to a Rocket.

Still, if you have access to a "try meter" above the player's head that shows just how much effort they are giving I'd love to look at it.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

just because you notice a very late/rare hand up mixed in with some hustle on isolated plays doesn't mean that's real effort. Do not confuse some individual effort with the lack of any semblance of a respectable defensive strategy or system. There was free reign to the basket all night long with minimal resistance by most of the players. Once guys got in the paint from the perimeter, the communication and help by the frontcourt was non existent. That's not real effort. Real effort would have made it a priority to find a correction or adjustment after the first quarter at least.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

They lost to a glorified AAU team. Well, one that somehow found a semi-talented big guy that dominated both of our centers. Playoffs? LOL. We will be counting wins on our fingers and toes and we may not need to take off both shoes to do it. When I saw our vaunted offense was relying on Corey Brewer positioned in the corner to make uncontested corner threes? And they obviously misread any hint of a rule change re: hacka rules, since opponents will hack any Rocket player outside of Harden. The only explanation I can come up with is that the rims in their practice facility must be slightly tilted, since they can't make an unguarded 15 foot shot to save their lives.

And don't get me writing about Defense and Rebounding... obviously those chapters of the Rockets Play Book were left out by the publishers.

pippendagimp likes this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

No **** ... OMG you'd think people here were running around committing Hari Kari and spreading pizza all over the walls with gats! Reeeeeeelax.

6. dwhite

dwhite Member

WRONG!!! USA today reviewed over 30 game tapes to figure out what was wrong with the Rockets defense other than Harden. Their shocking conclusion was that the weak link was Ariza. He is no longer the player he was a few years ago and is killing us both offensively and defensively. We need to trade him while he still has value.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The defense looked worse than last year which is why people are up in arms. Just blatant laziness which is unacceptable especially in the opener. Especially since all we've heard all summer long is how that's what they're focusing on to start the year. People, including myself, are disappointed in the effort. 114 points should be enough to win, against the Lakers for god's sake.

8. valorita

valorita Member

1) Harden's defense was still as terrible as last year.
    2) Ryan Anderson might be a worse defender than Harden if that is feasible.
    3) Rox don't have to be a great defensive team all the time, but they have to be able to grind it out and get defensive stops on key possessions and we do not have the team defense nor individual players who can do that.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Stay calm. We don't play any real contenders in our next 20 games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Remlap

Remlap Member

BBall 101 - Boxing Out

Any High School player should know how to do this. Especially the pro level.
    When the ball leaves an opponents hand to shoot, any defender around the basket
    should immediately seal off the path of the closest opponent to secure inside position for the rebound
    Late in the game, with the game on the line, I believe it was Clarkson who let fly a high arching
    3 pointer. Instead of boxing out, our defenders just watched the ball in flight like it
    was a California Condor at a bird watchers convention. In the meantime Mozgov moseys
    to the basket unimpeded for the putback. 2 points Lakers. Unacceptable

heypartner likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thread soon to come......."It's Just All-star Break"

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Funny, Condor image. Mozgov is from a poor family in post-Soviet ruins. So had a lot of practice chasing down pigeons for food

Fwiw: Mozgov didn't play from 6min left in 3rd for rest of game. I think that TM putback was first half, or some other rebounder if late in the game

Remlap likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

easier said then done

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

15. Remlap

Remlap Member

At THIS level boxing out should be instinctive for any player at any position
    Should be as instinctive as dribbling. Although Corey Brewer. . . . .

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I would agree with you but just like any other part of basketball it needs to be practiced and consistently instilled in your actual team. if it's not there's still going to be more lapses than not just based on human nature.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

necro bump. but timely. and please, somebody in the game thread get malakas an oxygen tank.

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

F&^K this thread!!!

unlike.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

careful Dream, I'll necro bump ALL my favorite threads if you don't play nice.

J.R. likes this.
  20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

And I'll be in there too! Don't threaten me! I'll be the super hero the GARM needs! The beacon of light against your thread treachery!