1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BiGGieStuFF, Mar 9, 2016.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

this is great. samsung galaxy note 7: grand theft auto...

Two Sandwiches and RedRedemption like this.
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/mobil...vs-samsung-galaxy-s7-samsungs-killing-it-2016

iPhone and Samsung are 1A and 1B in the smartphone world.

iPhone has way better brand recognition and marketing.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is criminal. Please Seclusion, dump that POS phone before this garbage companies kills you.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

4. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Loving my axon 7, minus a few small quirks.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

8. OmegaSupreme

so... some reviews of the google pixel and pixel xl are out. all say best android phone, a couple say best phone period, some say best camera in any smartphone, some say a matter of preference between iphone 7 plus and note 7 (pre-explosion) cameras. and it didn't take two cameras to do it. ;) unaminous that siri is destroyed.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-google-pixel/?mbid=social_twitter

even notorious apple fansite the verge rates it the same as the 7 plus.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13304090/google-pixel-phone-review-pixel-xl

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13304090/google-pixel-phone-review-pixel-xl

posting this to make me feel better for ponying up the dough for it, but i spent more for the samsung s6 edge on release day. costs the same as the iphone and similar pricing to the note 7 and upcoming lg v20, but the pixel is throwing in a free vr headset. also posting for @Dave2000 (peer pressure).

waterproofing would have been nice but i've never had the need since owning phones back to 2000. wireless charging is a "meh"for me as i use like using my phone when it's charging. can see how others want those two things though.

shaped up to be a more than solid phone. google's software in an iphone-esque body, i'm all in. :)

ubigred and Uprising like this.
  9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This phone really has some of the wildest range of reviews I've seen of any phone.

http://bgr.com/2016/10/18/google-pixel-review-roundup-pixel-xl/

NYT called the camera 'mediocre'.

The one thing that I really liked seeing in most of these reviews is the great battery life. Typically for me as a Nexus user, this has always been a problem.

10. OmegaSupreme

wouldn't want to go to the ny times for a tech review, tbh. and haven't seen anyone other than the ny times mention anything but glowing reviews of the camera. dxomark, verge, engadget, cnet, wired, any other android blog... or the ny times for camera quality opinions?

design is subjective to reviewer. i can dig the minimal approach.

Uprising likes this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

makes me actually think about dumping my moto x pure i got only a few months ago for it.....damn you technology!

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man I dunno what to do. I have the Note 7 that I will be returning. I have a Nexus 5x to tide me over for right now, but it's lacking in oomph. Pixel XL is sold out, and there is a 4-5 week wait on the smaller Pixel. :/

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd wait for the XL if it's available again. I mean...it can't be THAT much longer than the 4-5 week wait for the regular one right?

15. Victorious

Victorious Member

loving the reviews. i'm super excited to finally get the phone in a week or two. google going all in to compete with Apple can mean only good things for Android moving forward. Apple benefits too as competition can bring out the best. and it couldn't be a better time with those samsung bombs going off all over America. Even if you don't like this version, think of the potential possibilities in the future for the Pixel.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wish it was water resistant / proof.....But loving the reviews it's receiving. Is this thing Sprint compatible with the micro sim?

17. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I was able to order a Pixel XL on Friday night when they re-stocked, but unfortunately, I won't be getting it until the end of November. I'm pretty excited after reading all of the glowing reviews. I've been an iPhone user since the 3G (I had a Nexus 5 for a short while in the middle), but this phone looks like the one that will fully convert me.

18. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah I agree. The Camera seems to be getting great reviews for the most part. I don't care too much about the design, but I don't think it's as bland as people make it out to be. My three biggest needs are great battery life, fast software, and a solid looking screen. I did see that in CNETs review they said the OLED screen doesn't look to great in sunlight which isn't that surprising, but I've dealt with that with pretty much every phone I've owned.

If the battery life really is that superb, I think I'm going to go for the upgrade and get it. I also really want to try out Daydream. Just waiting for the Pixel XL in Black to come back in stock so I can order it.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  19. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really am missing the headphone jack on my iPhone 7. This might be my last iPhone, but I can't say I am definitely going back to Android.

20. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Read one reviewer saying the glass broke after a small tumble, I assume its the glass on the back. Anyway, too pricey for me. I've come to realize I dont need a top-spec phone, never played games at all, but I value a vanilla android phone. Really wish they still have a Nexus line along with the Pixel.