1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do Hotels turn off the AC at night?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by body slam, Oct 15, 2016.

1. body slam

body slam Member

I was out of town the past three nights and stayed in a hotel. I kept the AC set at 70. It was nice and cool all day. The first night I woke up around 3 ish to go to the restroom noticed it was kind of warm. So I set the AC a little cooler and went back to sleep. Woke up and the room was cold. Thursday night same thing. I set the AC cooler and kicked off the cover and went back to sleep. Woke up and the room was cold. Last night I went out with some friends got back to the room about 1:30 and it was the same thing. I set the AC cooler, laid there awhile, and noticed the AC did not kick in. I turned it down lower and it still would not kick in. I called the front desk they said the maintenance man was off, but they would let him know when he got in at 7 am. I had it on my mind so I was not really sleeping that well. I would doze off and wake up. Doze off and wake up. Around 4:30 I heard the compressor kick in and could feel the cool air. Talked to my father earlier today told him about it. He said he thought he noticed the same thing last time they took a trip.

2. Glish21

Glish21 Member

Had a comfort suites in Harrisburg, PA that operated when it sensed motion. It would turn off in the middle of the night. Insane.

3. Buck Turgidson

hotballa thread

SwoLy-D and The Hunted like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Could be ghosts living in your room.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Just got home from an all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen.

The AC kept on all night, as long as the room key was in the little slot by the thermostat. Even when we were out of the room.

It took me two days to figure out that the AC turned off if the balcony door was open, though.:D

heypartner likes this.
  6. body slam

body slam Member

Pretty sure there was no motion detector because the room seemed to stay nice and cool during the day when no one was there. At night there was a big difference.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I scrolled up to double check

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yes - often times hotel employees will quietly enter your room while you are sleeping to turn off the AC. This saves the hotel money.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And they'll order some pay-per-view p*rn, and open one of those $5 bottles of water and some $4.25 bag of munchies...and you wake wondering how did that happen, again.

10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I stay at hotels quite often and...well...no...they don't...not the one's I've stayed at anyways.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Once a friend of mine told me he took one of the hotel slippers home, and the hotel actually charged her for it.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why would you take only one slipper?

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why would he NOT get charged? He's stealing.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Sometimes hotels will "govern" the AC at night...or might govern the thermostat to only go down to a certain temperature. Lots of times, you an "hack" them by looking them up on the internet and resettig them. I did that at the last hotel I was at in Plano. Only would go down to 68 degrees, but I like to sleep with it colder. I looked up the model and was able to reset it by going into its program mode (thanks Google!) and set it down to 65.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Which roach motel did you stay in?