1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump news: canceling ad buys in Ohio, NC, and FL (also news on Trump sexual assault tape)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Oct 7, 2016.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the "locker room banter": I can appreciate the Trump argument that says essentially that this is just men speaking and boasting crudely, that he never really assaulted anyone and he was, essentially, just talking big. The thing that makes me do a big double-take is the sort of Hollywood context this comes in. I'd been reflecting recently with the Bill Cosby scandal that there is something in the soup that makes sexual assault and sexual exploitation especially prevalent with celebrities. They wield a lot of power as celebrities to change people's fortunes socially and career-wise. And, the targets are generally young women who do not yet have much power themselves and are still looking to find and cement their place in the world. They have the twin pressures of 'will this guy make me if I have sex with him?' and 'will this guy ruin me if I reject him?' and 'will I be infamous if I dare to report him?' And you have no shortage of enablers who have a financial interest in making sure their doesn't get caught out. So celebrities end up feeling empowered and entitled because they can act with impunity 99% of the time. So you get stories like Bill Cosby and Roman Polanski, R. Kelly, Kobe Bryant -- guys who got too comfortable with their ability to use their position to exploit women. And they aren't particularly special either. There are many other men who would be equal offenders if they were empowered in the same way.

So, when I see Trump -- born rich, being the boss his whole life, a Hollywood celebrity -- say he can grab a woman by the p***y and they'll let him, it has a lot of credibility. He's done it. Probably many times with many women. And they probably mostly just smiled and gave a nervous laugh because they were too afraid to object. Trump probably walked away from each of them thinking they liked it. He tells himself he didn't assault anyone because they consented. That's why I'm not really believing this is 'locker room banter' or that he simply talked about assault when Bill Clinton committed assault. I'm betting Trump has sexually assaulted many, many women over his lifetime and has gotten away with it every time.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump also took a long time to say that he didn't perform any of the actions that he talked about last night in the debate. Anderson Cooper asked him a simple question, "did you commit the acts that you described in the tape?" and instead of Trump saying no, he went on and on about how he respects women. He sneaked in a "i did not" in the middle there and continued on with how much he respects women. Almost like he was stalling for a while and determining himself whether or not he should lie.

When someone asks you a simple question and you respond with a long drawn out response, you are hiding something.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, the GOP tried to stop him, but GOP can not do it. That group of people voted him in.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Chris Christie is still in the office, he is even worse, why did people vote for him?

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The leadership and some segment did. But they failed. And then they support him. Like it or not, Trump = GOP, GOP = Trump. A short term gamble that look to result in a loss that will last generations.

6. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Did they really though? You didn't have some sort of unanimous criticism of his statements. When he called Mexican immigrants rapists, you didn't hear some big outcry from the GOP caucus. When he said sexist comments about Megyn Kelly and then proceed to say a series of other sexist comments, you didn't hear the GOP leadership stand up as one and denounce it. When Trump made fun of a disabled reporter, called John McCain a loser, and insulted the Khan family, you didn't hear a unified response.

The GOP let this happen. And only until a damn video came out of him bragging about sexual assault in October did the GOP finally start acting as one in response. And frankly, its only happening because the GOP wants to hold the House and Senate.

So I dont buy it for a second that the GOP tried and failed. Reince Preibus should've been out there denouncing Trump's racist comments on Day 1. All of these GOP elected officials now retracting their endorsements had no business ever giving an endorsement in the first place.

The GOP has spent 6 years running on anger and fear and Trump is the end result. And the GOP had plenty of chances to cut this off but they allowed it tolerate while pretending that they were powerless.

When David Duke ran for the senate in Louisiana and made it past the Jungle Primary, the GOP as a whole denounced him immediately and encouraged people to vote for a Democrat (a crooked one at that in Edwin Edwards) rather than ever be associated with a racist scumbag like David Duke. Even if the GOP didn't encourage its members to vote for Clinton, there shouldve been consistent disapproval of Trump. It didn't happen and that is entirely on the shoulders of the GOP. There were a few people like John Kasich and Lindsay Graham who made it known that they'd oppose Trump no matter what but those voices were easily drowned out during the primary process as mainstream Republicans rationalized a Trump nomination.

#347 geeimsobored, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hilary getting exposed on wikileaks right now.

It is fun.

9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

RIGHT ON POINT!!!!!

T_Man

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

11. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is this the political version of tanking and rebuilding through the draft? I hope they get LeBron!!

Err... maybe they want Bird.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

SCOREBOARD

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The only thing Christie has ever assaulted is a buffet.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Glad the election is determined Oct 14th.

It's much closer than that.

17. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Actual votes, sure. But that is not what that is calculating.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would argue that it's not even that close. Giving Hillary only an 84% chance of winning is REALLY conservative.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump will get 100% of the vote on November 28th, that's for sure.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No, it's not. The scoreboard hasn't even been turned on yet. There is no score until Nov. 8th. (or Nov 28th for the trumpettes).