1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN} My 30 crazy predictions for the 2016-17 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Oct 12, 2016.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17734638/30-crazy-predictions-2016-17-nba-season-zach-lowe

4. Houston finishes No. 2 in points per possessions
    Now that it has surrounded James Harden with legit 3-point bombers, Houston might even have the goods to push Golden State for the No. 1 spot in scoring efficiency. The Warriors will take a little time to mesh, and after splaying on the ground just before the finish line, they figure to pace themselves in the regular season.

Houston could be a joke on defense, especially if Mike D'Antoni shoves Eric Gordon into Patrick Beverley's starting spot, but there is no real counter for a turbo Harden spread pick-and-roll.

5. Houston takes more 3-pointers than any team in NBA history
    They set the record with 2,680 heaves in 2014-15, and last season, Houston and Golden State became the second and third teams ever to jack more than 2,500 triples. The Rockets should smash this record.

Just to stick to dallas :)

11. Both Dallas and Memphis miss the playoffs
    If Utah is in, one of the Portland/Oklahoma City/Houston/Memphis/Dallas cadre has to bow out. Both the Mavs and Grizz feel rickety, so let's get nuts and shove them both into the lottery. Go big, or go home.

If the Grizz stars stay healthy, this prediction will be wrong. Marc Gasol is in great shape, and people around the team say the players already love David Fizdale. The pieces fit, and moving Zach Randolph to the bench nudges Memphis into the pace-and-space, switch-everything era.

It also might stretch JaMychal Green too far. Chandler Parsons still isn't playing. Gasol and Conley are coming off major injuries. Tony Allen has bounced in and out of the lineup for three years, and as he approaches 35, he really shouldn't be anyone's starting 2-guard. The bench is unreliable.

The Mavs have been pulling wins out of their ass for years. A season ago, it looked like the house of cards would finally crumble. Nope. Harrison Barnes and Andrew Bogut fill needs, and Rick Carlisle will brew up a live-wire bench from J.J. Barea, Devin Harris, Dwight Powell, Seth Curry, Salah Mejri and some random fan who shows up in uniform. Dirk is Dirk, the legend that keeps on swishing.

But the lack of off-the-bounce verve in the starting lineup is alarming, and a ton of these dudes are coming off injury.

Look, this hurts. I love Dirk, and I write a whole column called The Marc Gasol All-Stars. But these teams make me feel queasy. Having both miss the playoffs requires a leap from either Denver, New Orleans, Minnesota or, gulp, the Kings. Denver is tracking the right way, but the Nuggets have to play through Emmanuel Mudiay's growing pains. Still, they won 33 games last season as Mudiay found his footing, and it might not take much more than 40 wins to sneak in.

If Davis has the season a lot of us (raises hand) expected last season, the hardscrabble Pelicans should hang around. New Orleans is also a good candidate to rush into a win-now move. The Wolves are everyone's pick to steal a spot, but cracking .500 while starting three 21-year-olds is really hard.

Injuries and other craziness upend our projections every season. Almost nobody expected Portland, Houston, Chicago, Washington and New Orleans to finish where they did last season.

moonsh0t likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

29. Terrence Jones has a bounce-back season
    Jones has more red flags than Nikolai Volkoff: questions about his character and smarts, plus a long history of scary injuries -- including nerve damage firing down one leg. But the guy feels the game. He can dribble and pass, and he reads the floor well enough to make advanced plays off the bounce. Remember his feathery lobs to Dwight Howard two seasons ago, before the Rockets started hating one another? Imagine Jones lofting those same lobs to Davis as part of a smaller, bouncier front line.

Jones will work mostly as Brow's backup, but I'm intrigued by how the two might mesh. Jones is fighting for his career on a minimum contract. There is a quality NBA player in here somewhere.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Is TJones still injured?

4. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Lowe obviously didn't write this in 1 day. I am 99% sure he wrote the Jones part a week or so ago, after his first preseason game where he played 30 mins against D-League level Mavs bench and made two 3s. After that he had 5-14FG game and after that he had DNPs in 2 games vs Rockets. Zach Lowe wants Jones to succeed so badly, just to make his 15 million a year prediction somewhat right. (15M - prediction, minimum - outcome.)

Drogba likes this.
  5. valorita

valorita Member

My prediction:

They will have more wrong than right predictions.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

People are way too high on the Jazz. Sure maybe they improve enough to make the playoffs and possibly make a little noise in the 1st round but not win 50 games and become a 2nd tier team in the west. They added George Hill, a career role player, he keeps being mentioned as if he's Paul George, maybe they are getting the George mixed up while they are talking? I don't know, this baffles me. I've heard this on just about every NBA podcast so far, just how great the Jazz are going to be this year.

7. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

They not only added George Hill, but also Boris Diaw and Joe Johnson not to mention Dante Exum who has returned from his injury. They may be past their prime but they added depth in areas that were weak last season.

malakas likes this.
  8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Anyone have The Expert's predictions from last year?

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If one team is going to make a leap like that, on paper it's the Jazz, so the prognosticators make that pick to try and look smart later if it actually happens.

But reality plays out differently. Which is why it's hard to be a prognosticator. Rockets fans know about this! Injuries, chemistry, players getting worse or not getting better as expected.

10. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

From memory most people had us finishing third in the west behind the Warrior and the Spurs

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would agree with that. Just listing the predictions. I will say he quickly turned, and rightfully so, from the prediction that the Rockets would be GS's biggest threat in the West once the season started.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member