1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Sergio Llull to Houston? Not this year.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

doubtful

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

WHY DO THEY...

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Such a shame. Missing him in his prime. Assuming it takes him a year to adjust after he comes over, every year he waits is like a loss of two years.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not even sure we'll have the money for him next summer, but we'll see. He would be a solid piece for us.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I haven't given up on Llull. He would be excellent as a combo guard in MDA's offense. Would pair nicely with Harden/Beverley/Gordon. Next summer the Rockets can offer Llull a MLE contract that will be worth more than what he is making in Europe, and his buyout will be lower. Rockets can also offer Llull a solid role as backup PG in an offensive system in which Llull could thrive.

Just because the Rockets haven't been able to bring Llull over, yet, does not mean that it won't happen. Roster construction, financials and timing might have gotten in the way in previous attempts. And just because Llull says, "he is happy where he is," (at this moment) doesn't mean he might not take a chance in the NBA. Things (circumstances) can change and he could be preaching the company line to his current ball club.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This exact tweet could have been posted the last 3 years.

Cashmoney, ClutchCity3 and craguin like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, every year it's the same old song. He would be great alongside Harden, would fire up the crowd, would sell tickets to the Spanish-speaking Rockets crowd (yes, yes, I know Spain and Latin America aren't the same creature). But for whatever reason he hasn't indicated a desire to jump ship to the NBA. Is it this team specifically? Does he love his home country that much? Is Morey not offering him a decent contract?

Let us not hold our collective breath on Sergio Llull.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this.

Between the likely increases in both the MLE and international buyout amounts under the next CBA, and the likely decline in Llull's buyout under his Real Madrid contract, and assuming the Rockets don't somehow open up (near-)max cap room to pursue another star, next summer will probably be the best time ever for the Rockets and Llull to make this work financially. It all comes down to whether Llull is willing to leave the comforts of Madrid and move across the Atlantic to the USA. It sounded like he was willing to do that in 2015 but that the two sides just couldn't come to terms on a contract.

Also, I just don't get the segment of fans that hates on the Rockets for still trying to bring Llull over. The Rockets bought his draft rights with Les Alexander's cash. That's it. They didn't give up any assets to get Llull that otherwise set the franchise back. ANY contribution from Llull would be a positive for the club. And unless the fans are personally responsible for bringing Llull over, what should they care if the Rockets cast that line among the hundreds of other lines they cast with free agents every year?

ClutchCityReturns and Rodman23 like this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's just difficult to get excited about a guy that has made it clear that he doesn't want to play in the NBA. He has had the opportunity available to him, so why get juiced over a guy who isn't actively pursuing a basketball career in the states?

12. craguin

craguin Member

I'd rather see Facundo Campazzo or (Beverley's former teammate) Milos Teodosic in a Rockets uniform next year.

[Boston Globe - Gary Washburn - August 20, 2016] (re: Facundo Campazzo)
    He was undrafted by the NBA in 2013 and could be the next Argentine product to transition to the NBA. When asked if he wanted to play in the NBA, Facundo said, “I would love to. I would like to, but I know that it is not easy, not easy to [get there and play] in the best way possible. It is a dream for me.”

[EuroHoops - September 22, 2016] Milos Teodosic blog - More titles, a gold and… the NBA
    "I want to travel to the States, play in the NBA and compete against the best players in the world. Maybe now I am more ready mentally and also on the court. [...] I believe in myself and I have no doubts or second thoughts.

I need a team with a plan and high goals

I want to feel that an NBA team knows my game, has a plan for me and can use me in a unit with real chemistry, while having high goals and being competitive. I want to win, to be motivated and to feel that the coaches and the organization trust me. [...]

I want to go to the NBA and I know that I can establish myself there and really contribute. I will not sign anywhere just to be able to say that I played in the NBA. I need the whole package that will excite me. So it depends on what offers I get as a free agent and the way the teams approach and talk to me."

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

WHen he turns 32 I can see Morey giving 20 million a year

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Like clockwork. I see "cheke64" at the end of this and another thread and thought, "Let's see how he hates on Morey today."

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Do we know how much is the buyout on his contract? And how much it'll be next year?

16. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

3 buzzer beaters in one game (Wow)

For any regular followers of Llull isn't he kind of known for that?

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep.

18. craguin

craguin Member

Don't know how much the buyout would decline next season [2017-18], but the Rockets could offer a little more towards it - $675,000 (Excluded International Player Payment Amount per CBA FAQ).

[MARCA - 07/06/15 - via Google Translate] Llull renews with Real Madrid until 2021
    "The clause was lowered. Until now it was estimated at five million and would have been the main obstacle should have wished to undertake the American adventure."

Vivi likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thanks craguin

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

He should come over already!!