1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Perhaps the hitting coach helped, but not because of that Sesame St reasoning.

"We let him be free"

It doesn't get more free than allowing UNLIMITED flying helmets, baserunning outs, and defensive miscues.

That crap explanation really means.... "Rangers got lucky".

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm just telling you what he said! :)

3. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I never blame the messenger

J.R. likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oh look, 3-run homer for Gomer, bat flip included. :)

Good to know he didn't forget how to play baseball (but did in Houston apparently).

PokeJ likes this.
  5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Per Rangers GM... Rangers made Gomez feel "free" to shorten his swing

This situation is just another log on the Houston 50-year dumpster fire.

Even worse news, thus far Carlos' career has not shown playoff shrinkage. He'll likely do well.
    _______

Rangers were only 1 out from already winning one..... we'll see what happens.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rangers take the Astros for a joke. Dominate us on the field on a routine basis, steal our worst players and then turn him into a good one in the middle of the season. If I were a Rangers fan, I would dismiss everything that the Astros did, I wouldn't even consider them a rival team. The Astros are so far beneath the Rangers it's hilarious.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

God that sucks. Has to be some blame on Houston because it is very hard to believe that it's purely coincidence that he went from being a star player, to sucking while with Houston, back to being badass as soon as he leaves Houston. Had he been a 3 WAR player as he's been since joining the Rangers, Houston is probably in the playoffs. Not to mention they get a draft pick after this season. Instead they get nothing and their rival benefits. Fml.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Can we get a Texans vs pos Titans game thread?

I think we've suffered enough in this one @Castor27

J.R. likes this.
  10. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Pallilo was saying yesterday the Astros haven't developed any hitters... I assume he meant, besides Altuve.

JD Martinez, Villar, Grossman, Gomez have all moved on and had success. Castro, Springer, and Tucker haven't improved.

Charlie also said coaching shouldn't get any credit for Correa or Bregman, as they were top picks.

Bright spot..... Valbuena was easily having his best season before DLing.

J.R. likes this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

How the Rangers have helped Carlos Gomez revive his previously-stalled career

ARLINGTON - The Rangers routed Houston during the season series, winning 15 of 19 games.

Now, the Rangers are rubbing it in on the Astros by fixing a broken player they kicked to the curb: outfielder Carlos Gomez.

Released by Houston in August, Gomez is reviving his stalled career with the Rangers. He continued the recovery process on Tuesday night with a three-run homer during a 6-4 comeback victory against Milwaukee at Globe Life Park.

“It feels like for 10 years, I was blind,” Gomez said. “I’ve learned something I never knew.”

In Houston, the Astros have to be shaking their heads in amazement.

In parts of two disappointing seasons with the Astros, Gomez had only nine homers and 42 RBIs in 444 at-bats. Houston gave up on Gomez.

In five weeks with the Rangers, Gomez has seven homers and 21 RBIs in 106 at-bats.

The change started with hitting coaches Anthony Iapoce and Justin Mashore.

They made mechanical changes in Gomez’s swing that give him a firmer back side and allow him to use his hands. That allows Gomez to be on time for more pitches.

In the past, he was late on many pitches and tried to catch up with big swings that usually ended with flailing misses and the batting helmet flying off his head.

Iapoce and Mashore also have Gomez thinking more like a hitter than a slugger. He is batting .366 in his last 41 at-bats.

“You’ve got to hit before you slug,” Banister said. “He’s allowing himself a better chance to hit. With that, the confidence grows. ... We’ve seen him get to some balls that the big boys hit a long ways, and he’s done that.

“He’s in a pretty good place now. We like what we see.”

Gomez said the Rangers have repaired his damaged confidence with constant encouragement. His only regret is that it took so long to get into this situation.

“I cannot imagine what I can do in 162 games with what I have now,” Gomez said.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Carlos Gomez

kaleidosky likes this.
  13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

exactly right. Not voting in the poll

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh please. There's an entire organization with hundreds of people dedicated to realizing their investment in this player. He switches to a different organization and he's back to playing like an all-star.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. PhiSlammaJamma

I have eliminated and crossed off the state of Texas.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sometimes it's a change of scenery. A mental shift / clearing of the mind. Gomez seems like someone who lets failure get in his head. Seems very plausible that it was all him. I'd also love to see if this performance continues, given that he had a slight uptick last season as well before going back in the tank

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It might be that he sabotaged himself on purpose in Houston so he could up his chances of being moved elsewhere. I think its by mutual agreement the scenery here didn't suite him.

18. ThaShark316_28

Typical sport fans. NOT blaming the player.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Luhnow will hire a stats coach next year. Some egg head from MIT that will teach our guys how to bat.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That's all non sense. This is on Carlos Gomez and Gomez alone. He needed to hit rock bottom for anyone to get his attention. He'd been doing the same thing successfully for a long long time and was willing to make some changes when a team said they'd rather cut him for nothing than let him be on the roster.