1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's going to be the first player or team to protest during the anthem?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Houston22

Houston22 Member

I don't get it. Well, I'm from europe and never really got it, but wasn't racism dead in America few years ago?
    What's going on with everything being linked to racism up there?
    From here it looks like nobody is talking responsibility anymore, just rights. Right to protest.. ok, but what about responsibility? Like.. it triggers everybody just hating on everybody more, instead of solutions. For instance, why should Charlotte team do it? Didn't African american cop shoot African american and then protests only fueled more hate?
    Am I wrong? Probably not the right forum to ask, though..

2. Houston22

Houston22 Member

I checked some statements by NBA stars on the subject (Westbrook, Wade, Cury,..) and I must say that they are saying all the right things, though..

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

deleted

#43 DonatasFanboy, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  4. hakeemthagreat

I think by keeping the conversation going you make ppl confront the issue, who'd otherwise ignore it. It's not the athlete responsibility to change social injustices

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Things were pretty racist here until the 1960s and 1970s...like legally/officially racist....they stopped that but that doesn't mean that racist people stop being racist.... a lot of those people are still alive now, as it's only been 46 yrs..and obviously can teach racism to their kids and so on. It would take a few generations, at least, for racism to die out..

6. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Most people are tired of politics mixing with sports. Honestly sports was an outlet for me. This seems to be changing. ESPN and co seem to be pushing an agenda. The media is pushing an agenda. And then wonder why populism is present...

Yeah all of this is horrible, but I just want to watch some basketball.

I do not even watch football anymore. Wife beaters and political activists. Ugh...all this **** is so boring.

Honestly this is the best time in the western world to grow up as a minority or woman. Can never do any wrong and get a free pass on anything.

7. J Hard

J Hard Member

All Black players should boycott. Should not even be a season until satan stop killing us in these streets. God gona avenge us though.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Jeremy Lin will do it for the azns first

9. mig0s

mig0s Member

i bet it'll be cp3

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Racism and discrimination is still around and it never really "died." Don't know why anyone would think that, but since you mentioned you don't live in the country then I sort of understand. Racism is the word that is being thrown around, but to me it's more about injustice, police brutality, and lack of compassion that's the problem.

Many of times there have been black people murdered by policeman. Whether it's an accident or was done out of hate it happened either way. A person died, and there is nothing that can be done to bring the person back to life. What can be done though is correctly use the justice system to correctly punish the person being charged. Yet, this is a rare thing to happen. Many times the person is acquitted and it truly is messed up because justice wasn't served.

Look at O.J. Simpson back in the 90s. Black man who clearly killed his white wife. Everyone knows he did it. It's obvious he did it. Almost all black people know he murdered her. He absolutely did it. Yet, he was acquitted and went on to live his life. Black people around the country celebrated. You want to know why? Because they knew white people now felt how black people have felt for decades. There are numerous cases of either white people or policeman getting away with murder and it is unfair. The justice system failed, and it continues to fail. To me that's the biggest problem.

Black people (and most POC) are treated differently in the justice system and as people. There are young, college, white kids who rape women and are free after 3 months in jail while minorities are murdered for saying they can't breathe. A man in Charlotte was recently shot and killed by a policeman (doesn't matter that it was a black cop) and judging from video footage the black man was not a threat. Did he have a gun? Maybe. Was he pointing it at anyone or did he reach for his gun to result to be shot? Absolutely not.

People are searching for solutions with these protests. Protests equal awareness. If you're the type of person who has a problem with the true Black Lives Matter movement (which is mostly a civil movement) then you are apart of the reason why this movement needs to exist. Taking a knee shows that these athletes see that something is wrong in the USA. People learn by seeing and hearing. People are unaware of the injustice happening, and if it takes a player like Colin Kaepernick to help raise awareness then so be it. Taking a knee may be unconventional, but it is peaceful.

If you are fueled by more hate because of these protest then you are the reason these protest need to exist. There is something wrong with the police, and it needs to be fixed. There is something wrong with the justice system and it needs to be fixed. BLM brings awareness to this.

Streets 01, ico4498 and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Yes, people should just protest in a way that everyone can ignore them and go about their business. It would be so much easier for the rest of us if we didn't have to worry about society's problems or what those "other" people are concerned with. :rolleyes:

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So freaking well said. Jesus. You did an amazing job here. Would rep if I could. Awareness is the first step in change.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the flip side, people should stop killing cops.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

We should all listen to old NWA tracks, reflect, and go our merry way.

15. MarioElie17

MarioElie17 Member

Doesn't mean I have to tune in. A lot of people get turned away by these type of things.

16. malakas

malakas Member

LMAO what a joke. The best time compared to what? The middle ages? That's your standard?
    The ones who get a free pass are white men.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The National Anthem shouldn't even be played at sporting events. It's just sports. Play it at the DMV or traffic court or something.

18. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Very well written, thank you.
    Well, I knew about history of discrimination when it was OK to publicly speak and act discriminatory in previous century, but I thought that was gone off the system now. Well I certainly see your point and agree that racism can't be extinct since parents tech kids and so on..

Now I am a bit confused with other stuff. It seems to me that you base your arguments on race (whether you are right or wrong) and in that case I just can't see any good solution to that. Only decomposition of the system.

For instance:
    "There are young, college, white kids who rape women and are free after 3 months in jail while minorities are murdered for saying they can't breathe."
    This statement is predicated on assumption that first kid was let go because he was white and the second person was murdered because he was minority. More than that - it states that this is how system works and that for instance there is no such case in American history where black rapist would be let go after 3 months. But then you say that OJ Simpson was let go even if he was obviously murderer. A bit confused here..
    I'm certainly not saying it's not true! It's just that you Americans probably have no other solution then to implement some race-based laws which would probably lead to more injustice.

Then later:
    "A man in Charlotte was recently shot and killed by a policeman (doesn't matter that it was a black cop) and judging from video footage the black man was not a threat. Did he have a gun? Maybe. Was he pointing it at anyone or did he reach for his gun to result to be shot? Absolutely not."
    When I was as a young white person to the States 10-something years ago, I was thought that you just don't mess with cops. I was told that you don't argue, just be cooperative because they have all the authority to lock you up or whatever. Now I am confused here - I thought having gun in hand is waaaaay out of the question no matter the race?!
    And how come it doesn't matter that it was a black cop, when you compared case of white rapist to case of black murdered man in previous statement?
    Again.. I am far from saying it is all OK, I just don't see any good coming out of this. Especially when people are using statements like "Many times the person is acquitted and it truly is messed up because justice wasn't served". This is when streets begin to take justice in their hands and when that happens..

Well, the most important message I would probably have, is that me as an outside observer don't see raising awareness as an outcome of all these protests so far, but rather fueling more hate. You all please correct me if I am wrong.

Now I might be a little dramatic, but I could see some white people being beaten or even killed in some upcoming riots. ..or even cops being killed. And if that happens.. you are probably on a few decades setback. Wish you all the best though! Hope I am wrong and you guys fix it soon.

Now, to finally get on topic.. :)
    Who ever does it first.. hope he includes the message that retaliation and hate is not an answer and that the final goal is system upon which all of you can leave. I also hope that it won't fill all the media and will leave it some to the sport I love.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It'll be league-wide, you'll see everyone from superstars, like LeBron and Melo doing it, as well an entire teams sitting, during the anthem.