1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Angels @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 22, 2016.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

are you sure this is right? doesn't seem possible

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This is more Houston bad luck thing, than bad management IMO.

Giles had credintials before the trade.

Gomez is currently hitting the best of his career with TEX.

Go figure

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well his ERA certainly wasn't 4.31 before today, so why does that matter? Also did you forget that Harris lost the closer spot when he also pitched terribly a couple months ago? Gregerson also lost his closer spot after struggling. I'm not really trying to justify anyone's decision (since both have pitched well lately), but it seems like you're forgetting about the past.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

...and the Rangers have officially clinched the division.

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Not something I expected to ever read this season lol. Especially not with Reed coming up at the time he was let go. Oh how quickly people have given up on him

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah seems like everybody complaining about giles is forgetting that we exhausted every other closing option this season. it is what it is.

want some serious unpopularity? consider converting mccullers to closer (where tons projected him anyway). extend his career. there's no reason to believe he will ever make it through a full season as starter again.

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

WTF is Giles talking about?

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

i haven't given up on him. but he was useless this season. that was always possible. never know how a fat rookie will respond.

i was one of the lone keeping carter advocates to bridge the gap to reed's call up (at minimum). 40 hr potential and was dirt cheap, and we went into the season with marwin gonzalez/tyler white as our 1b's, and, really, only marwin gonzalez was in the plans, until white demolished spring and left them with no choice.

was a no brainer of a signing to me. i blew that horn loud.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Blasphemy

10. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I would put our needs as:

1. Ace
    2. #2 Pitcher
    3. 1b

I could live with Valbuena at 1b, I think. And I can live with Giles as closer. But we don't have a guaranteed win anywhere on the staff. It's flip a coin day every night. The bullpen is much improved. The lineup is much improved. Our Pitching staff is at least average. The defense is great.

We are close, but still missing something on the mound.

The good news is we've proven we have some staying power with two seasons of near playoff ball. So we are legit, just need a little more to get into the conversation.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Giles is a good weapon in the bullpen but he isn't a closer.

Depending on their budget and what moves they can make, they may need to look at options on the market; including former Astro Mark Melancon.

13. conquistador#11

I feel bad for the team. They fought their arses off, then the closer gives it all back not only that but it takes out correa in the process. The rangers blown save, this one. that's four games in the standings. Over managing in the third cleveland indians game and the toronto series.

all i want for next year is spend like you're a major league team and more growth from hinch with experience.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

When you're in a race you can't just give games away. I'll never understand the push to have a set Closer - just go with who is hot, which is certainly NOT Giles right now. I actually like Giles, and I think he's a good pitcher, but I in no way think he should be going out there with a small lead. Devo is TEARING IT UP - put him in there! Come on, man.

Frustrating season - so many injuries, slow start, yet we still really should have made the Playoffs. We've blown 13+ saves! That's not a recipe for success.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Astros have had blown saves with 2 or 3 run leads this year but came back to win them all. The Valbuena 3 run walk off homerun came after a blown 3 run 9th inning lead.

16. Nook

Nook Member

At this point it isn't about Hinch going to Giles. He has exhausted other pitchers in that role. It isn't as if he has gone to him all year.

Still if I am the Astros I am at least open to getting a legitimate closer because Giles isn't a closer.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That could also point to coaching

18. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Ken Giles just took a line drive off his right wrist during early BP. Was on the ground in pain and carted off field.

19. PokeJ

PokeJ Member

Wow!

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

in before the "somebody has good aim" jokes.