1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Media Day 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Sep 23, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. heypartner

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Harden says CHAMPIONSHIP is the realistic goal and what is needed for this season to be successful.

6. Fantasma Negro

As Rockets fans I don't think we show Ariza enough love. He has mounds of respect around the league, he always has a tough defensive assignment and he never complains. Despite the fact he's a Barca guy, I hope he has a great season

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. heypartner

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Yayyyy basketball is almost here. Summer is so boring, while we did not have the summer i had hoped. I remain loyal to Rockets nation, looking forward to it.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sighs Media Day. Where you hear all the right things and see a lot to be curious about that makes you feel a sense of urgency to have the season start already.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I like the new and refocused Harden already so much better than last off season's Harden who had too many off court distractions and was busy doing other stuff.

13. heypartner

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I do like that Harden is taking ownership on his defense. In the past he would say he doesn't pay attention to his critics etc etc, but here, I like how he is owning it. Obviously it is talk, and we have to see it on the floor, but at least we have the talk...where as in the past we didn't even have that.

15. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Feel so bad for Anderson right now. James this, James that..

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's brought it up plenty of times. he's talked about it before on numerous occasions. It's been time for him to show it on the floor. We shall see once again this year

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Damn it Corey, having #33 so Ryan had to take #3 lol.

18. Fantasma Negro

Eric Gordon sounds like such a douche

19. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

He'll change his number to #33 when Brewer is finally gone.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Harden:

What do you think about the pieces around you this season?

Extremely, extremely excited. The vibe/work the last few weeks has been really good. It'll be an interesting season. This summer, we met a few times, just hanging out, got to know each other, what we like & don't like. It carries over to the court. Guys have been working all summer. It's gonna be fun.

What was different about this mini-camp?

Just about getting to know somebody and hang out. It was really good. Went to dinner & concert. That'll carry over on to the court. Ryan, guys like that said you're the leader, we're gonna follow you. That gave me confidence. I just gotta go out there & hold up my end.

A year ago, this team was coming off the WCF. Was the vibe there?

There was a lot going on. Just a lot of distractions, a lot going on. We got a new coaching staff, new players. Making it a point that everyone is on the same page. We all have one goal, one mindset & that's to win. If your outcast, you'll feel bad about yourself because everyone else is on the same page.

How are you physically?

Perfect. Been in the lab all summer.

What is a successful season?

Championship.

Is that realistic?

Realistic. We have more than enough in that locker room to win. We're willing & able to compete with anyone on any given night.

Leadership role - what have you done & the James coming into this eason?

Last year was frustrating. Numbers individually was pretty solid but the love & excitement wasn't there. I had to look in the mirror this summer and realize I gotta change. I gotta get back to how I was. My focus level, the things I can control I have to be a lot better at. Once I get myself figured out, I can help others. That was one of the main things I focused on this summer. I'm in a good place. I'm excited. I gathered the guys to get this thing going.

Last year wasn't good for me. I gotta be better & I will be better. That's where we are. I looked in the mirror. I gotta be better as a player & person and then it'll be easier for me to lead.

Do critics bother you?

It's white noise. I'm more than capable. I know can play defense & offense, one of the best players in this league. Last year was a blur. We all go through it in life. We all have bad days, bad years. It's the bounce back that makes you stronger.

D'Antoni highlight your play-making ability?

He makes good players better players. He has a formula that's proven it worked. Our assistants are extremely...they've been in this game a long time. ... We have a really strong coaching staff. All we have to do is listen & just go out there & hoop.

Jeff Bzdelik?

Since he's been here, we go over principles, different technique, footing, those small details. That's something we haven't had the last few years. It's attention to detail that'll help us. Guys like me still need to be taught.

How excited are you about Ryan & Eric?

Those guys can shoot the ___ out the ball. We've been working extremely hard. Clint is bigger & stronger. Nene, he's a good passer & another leader. All great character guys & want to win.

As you get better as a leader, Trevor said the team is willing to run through a wall.

It means a lot. I don't bigger myself up. I'm with these guys too. When I make mistakes, I tell them "My bad, it won't happen again." I put the same work in. I don't distance myself from them. We're all in this together. That's the culture we're building. If I make a mistake, tell me. That's the direction we're headed in. It'll be a lot of fun.

Have you made that step over to "I'm a veteran now"?

Yeah. I always have room to grow as a leader & person. I can always improve.

Was your ability to be a leader inhibited before?

We had another leader last year. He had his opinion & voice & I had mine. Teammates won't be on the same page at all times but we had some good years.

Anthem protests?

There might be. Just depends on the person & their opinion/beliefs. There's obviously a lot going on.

This team or you personally?

For our team, it's the individual preference. I don't know what they're thinking in their head. We won't let it affect what we're doing as an organization. It's a free country. Depends on how they feel.

Thoughts on Kaepernick?

Powerful statement. He's standing up for what he believes in. Devestating. These people are just dying for no reason. Their families are grieving. It's a tough situation, especially from men/women who are supposed to be protecting us. Each individual has their beliefs. Gotta respect it.

All-NBA team, did you take it as a slight & any motivation?

I get motivation from anything. But when's the last time it happened (29/7/6)? I gotta be better. You don't blame or criticize anyone. Look in the mirror and be better for next year.

Communication?

That's organic. Communicate. If you feel something, say it. We can't read minds. Too many guys in the locker room to read minds. That goes with anyone. If you're a rookie and have something to say to me, say it.

Was that a lesson learned from last year - you need to more vocal or vocal in a diferent way?

Depends. Communication is a big key. There's too many guys in the locker room to read minds. ... Communicate, lay it out on the table & we'll go from there.

Is there more chemistry than in year's past?

Yeah, 100%. In OKC, we were always together off the court. That translates to chemistry, playing well. It's good for us. Those weeks were good for us. I've been here the last 2 weeks, we've been in the gym every day. We're a little ahead & that's good for us.

Do you feel this is your team now moreso than the past?

Yeah. I'm excited. I love being here. That's one reason I signed this summer. They gave me an opportunity to show my talents, be a leader that I AM. We have some good winning seasons ahead of us.

#80 J.R., Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    gah and malakas like this.