1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DMO's agent "Rockets not doing enough to re sign him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Sep 14, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with your salary comparison in the event he has a good year and Morey exercises the Team Option option, or picks up the guaranteed year. At $16m vs $4.43m, a new contract next year probably won't make up much of a difference.

But, it doesn't provide any insurance at all for a bad year, as you seem to say in the above quote. That would be a Player Option, not a Team Option.

That's most likely a sticking point in the negotiation. Doesn't take much speculation to assume Morey is after a Team Option or non-guaranteed yr like Ezeli/Zeller's deals (saying that's the market), and BJ/DMo are negotiating for a Player Option and/or more total money, and they meet somewhere in the middle.

#81 heypartner, Sep 15, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ah, you are projecting - he is a RFA - I have no idea what he would get - but the going rate for his type of skills and production is around 10m-12m per year.

However, the Rockets are not going to give him that - or they will give him a little bump and say year 2 is not guaranteed.

I think that would be foolish for DMo to take - he should sign the QO if that is all the Rockets are willing to do, and become an UFA next off season - and he has a chance to prove he is completely healthy.

What you don't do is give Morey the upper hand - he has been known to crush mid level players with it and more than likely you will be traded anyway.

So, if I am DMo or representing DMO, both years would have to be guaranteed or he is taking the QO.....period.

DD

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Losing DMo will make a pretty depressing offseason even more so :(

BamBam likes this.
  4. heypartner

He won't trade you away if you perform and become a legit starter/6th man -- see Parsons. If it weren't for the Player Option, Morey would have signed that.

So, if he performs this year at $8m per year (Ezeli/Zeller), then we are back to the math that JayZ750 laid out.

1+1 (TO) and performs well
    $8m + $8m = $16m

vs

QO and performs well
    $4.4m + $12m = $16.4m

There is no big difference there, if he performs well this year and signs as UFA for your high number of $12m next, but at the cost of taking a very low QO now.

The math just doesn't show much incentive for the QO. It's like you just want him to take it, as a snub to Morey, with little regard to how the $16m 1+1 does the same thing, so benefits both sides...just like Ezeli and Zeller.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The big difference is that he gets to CONTROL his own fate if he signs the QO, gets to decide where he wants to play.

Vs.

Being controlled by a man that would flip his own grandmother if he thought it would help.

Don't underestimate being able to play where you want as a big factor.

DD

6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Count me in on the Festus Ezeli-type contract. I think that would be a highly preferable option as a Rockets fan compared to having him mope around all year on a tiny contract and be guaranteed to take off as soon as he's unrestricted.

From D-Mo's vantage point, it's not like he's going to get $20 million next summer anyways, so the monetary hit of taking a couple mil less than he's worth is no worse than the hit of making 3 + (whatever he gets later).

7. heypartner

This is where you sound like the DaDakota of after then Detroit trade. Your hatred for Morey makes you want to hope DMo sticks it to him, even to the point of not wanting a mutually beneficial deal for DMo and the Rockets.

Hence the "take it or leave it...PERIOD" ultimatum.

You're just...make him pay big bucks all guaranteed (which won't happen) or walk with the QO and find another team, which we DON'T WANT TO HAPPEN, and neither does DMo. He wants to succeed here and play in D'Antoni's offense. Your hatred clouds your fan interest in what's best for DMo and the Rockets.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I just got done talking to Calvin for a podcast, and I think some of you will enjoy this part:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins">@calvinwatkins</a> on D-Mo and training camp: &quot;When I talked to BJ Armstrong, he was like 'Camp's next week?' I think he was caught off guard.&quot;</p>&mdash; Locked On Rockets (@LockedOnRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/LockedOnRockets/status/776462354951262208">September 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems like the early opening of camp (due to the Rockets' trip to China) could throw a slight curveball. It's been my position all along that Motiejunas and his agent would not want him to miss camp, because no matter what deal he signs, the biggest $$$ factor for D-Mo is playing well this season to re-establish his value for the next deal. And missing a lot of camp could put him at a disadvantage when it comes to earning minutes. Sounds like B.J. thought the Oct. 1 QO deadline would be right around the opening of camp, when in reality they're a week apart.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True... I just meant insurance as in he gets $8 million this year, so if his back or something else fails, he's got $4.5+ million more than he otherwise would have with the QO.

I don't think it's a huge factor and I don't think thinking that is underestimating it.

DMo wants to play. It's not like he's gotten amazing opportunities in Houston. When he was healthy he was glued to the bench or d-league. He finally only got time because of Howard's setbacks in 14/15. Then the Rockets tried to trade him.

I don't think he's tied to Houston, or cares much about any team.

I do believe he is more concerned about his health than he's letting on, and probably more concerned than BJ Armstrong even knows. I'm not saying concerned as in truly ready for something to break... but concerned as in he knows what he's been through, he knows he's one bad move, hit, spin, fall, whatever from another set-back, etc.

DMo just wants as much guaranteed money as possible right now. I can't imagine if it comes down to him saying he'll sing the QO, and Morey countering then by offering some kind of 1+1 deal with enough of a bump - be that $6 million a year, or $9 million a year - that DMo won't say sure, I'll take that, even though there's a team option.

It just gets him more guaranteed money in year one, and he only loses out in the super unlikely scenario that he becomes an awesome starting PG... which is probably the least likely scenario among options such as (i) he gets injured again, (ii) he's just an average player, or (iii) he blows up and is amazing.

Even in his 14/15 season, as "great" as he was, he was still basically average. He's an average big. And a deal like $8+$8 (team option) is appropriate for that, and assumes he will remain healthy.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

**** pisses me off. Only player that gave us 110% in the playoffs while Harden was laying on the hardwood floor and this is how we repay him. Not even a thank you card.

11. heypartner

Great scoop The Cat!!! Thx for sharing.

BJ certainly doesn't sound like he is handling DMo like a valued free agent.

I wasn't going to post this tweet of his from yesterday (about the time he spoke to Calvin), but he seems like he's got other things going on. He also did his 10th installment of his BJ and Bucher podcast yesterday.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My first time at the <a href="https://twitter.com/UnderArmour">@UnderArmour</a> campus. Really exciting plans in the works... <a href="https://t.co/qvgyulQvoI">pic.twitter.com/qvgyulQvoI</a></p>&mdash; BJ Armstrong (@bjarmstrong) <a href="https://twitter.com/bjarmstrong/status/776164317636931584">September 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Seems he's busy building his brand, with whatever that is and the new Podcast with Ric Bucher.

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Sounds like a terrible agent, putting DMO on the back burner

13. Dirty Deca

Dirty Deca Member

This is absolute GOLD!!! Thanks for the laugh guys!!:grin:

14. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

ALL of this.

DD's idea of just taking the QO and sticking it to Morey, would be high risk low reward for DMo. Coming off a shaky season and 1 year removed from a decent showing during the regular season that his body couldn't sustain, he needs to sign a multiyear deal now where he has SOME kind of option for a 2nd year.

At 8+8 even with a team option he likely gets both years no matter how he plays. If he plays well fine he still has another guaranteed 8 and a 2nd year in D'antoni's system and has shown the league "Hey I can play, pay me in 2018."

If he has a bad year due to injuries or what not, 8 million for a 7 foot player even at 6ppg and 3rpg, is a STEAL in this league with the new salary cap. Morey is picking up that option, whether it be to keep him or flip him. Either way it's still guaranteed money.

Conversely if he stinks it up next year for the QO he's toast. No chance at a 2nd year and whatever scraps are left in 2017 FA. He won't be a FA but teams become a bit more skeptical of committing money to him. At least not good money.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DMos issue is really with the NBA salary rules.

He should take it up with the players association.

Given his health and his performance he's not getting a big contract now

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Rockets are currently not good enough to justify removing their ability to sign a max free agent in the upcoming years, for a marginal player like Montiejunas. He is not an impact player, and his effect on the team with not make a material difference on our win total. Would he help? Sure, but an extra win or two, is not grounds for sacrificing future flexibility.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If that's his going rate then his agent should have those type of offers from other teams.

18. heypartner

Great point! I agree Morey exercises the option on several playing scenarios along a spectrum of Great Year to Bad, if DMo shows any potential to produce at $8m. All of them pay better than the QO, except for the far side of the Great Year spectrum.

But, one thing you left out: Morey would also be thinking, if he starts slowly again, you can hide it in the system and trade him at the deadline by showcasing him the last two weeks before deadline. DD faints.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed with your post except maybe this. I mean he's getting no interest now either.

If he's healthy, but kind of stinks, I still think he will get a contract next year, and probably more than $5 million per... because he is a legit big. But obviously not an amazing deal. The no-name bigs who got amazing deals this offseason, or in years past, had one of two things going for them (or both): (i) still some upside potential; enough for someone to buy in and say this guy will be better with our team, more minutes, our system, or (ii) they are what they are but bring 1 skill set that even in spot minutes is useful as a big to have on the bench. Usually this is rebounding, or setting great picks, or playing 5 minutes of tough defense. Sometimes it can be to be that stretch big for 5 minutes to help open up the offense.

In DMo's case, even in his best year, he didn't excel. He was ok to solid... everywhere, but not exceptional anywhere. And his upside is limited, especially with the injury history.

Boban is a good example of a guy that fits both categories. Didn't get a ton of minutes but led the league in PER in the minutes he did get, and can be put in for 10-20 mpg purely because of his size, rebounding, and ability to clog the lane. And he got $7 million a year over 3 years.

And the Spurs replaced him with a similar story in Dewayne Dedmond, and he got $3 million a year over 2 years. And there's Ezeli at $8+$8(to) deal. Etc.

Meaning, basically, again... hard to see DMo wouldn't jump at an opportunity to get a bigger payday, even if it meant accepting a team option on year two.

20. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

The only reason I bring up next offseason is because this offseason DMo had two things going against him. A) He's coming off an injury season and B) He is restricted.

Teams don't want to offer an injury case lots of money anyways let alone take the time to offer it and know it will get matched. As a matter of fact, there likely have already been some lower offers made, that either Dmo or (more thank likely) BJ decided "No, we'll hold out for more money." And now he's left holding the bag because the money had washed up and his agents only play is to try to hold the Rocket hostage with no bargaining room whatsoever.

This will be different next Offseason if he does take the QO, because if he can't prove he can stay on the floor this year, he better jump at scraps quickly.

This is a case not so much as your agent selling you on yourself, when right now Dmo has much left to prove. And to say the Rockets haven't done enough, is more than laughable as most of this thread has stated. The Rockets are simply using what is available to them and BJ is trying to paint the picture that this means the Rockets don't want him. Well hell, by that logic apparently NO ONE does.