1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming: "I'm a Texan and a Houston Rocket for life"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Sep 10, 2016.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Most important part of the speech.

Not Florida, Not California , TEXAN FOR LIFE

HOUSTON ROCKET FOR LIFE

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yao Ming. &quot;I consider Houston my second home. You stood by me in good times and bad. I'm a Texan and a Houston Rocket for life.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/774394722337034244">September 9, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/YaoMing">@YaoMing</a> Thank you Yao Ming <a href="https://t.co/vCLAmL9XZZ">pic.twitter.com/vCLAmL9XZZ</a></p>&mdash; D-Texan (@dtexanz) <a href="https://twitter.com/dtexanz/status/774405674365104128">September 10, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's classic! :cool:

3. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

4. alethios

alethios Member

Yes, you are, big fella!

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I've been a Houston sports fan for nearly 40 years and this guy is the only one that I want to go give a big hug to. Wish I could just drink a beer and chill with him for a night.

6. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

When I think stereotypical Texan, Yao is the first person who comes to mind. Fits the mold perfectly.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

A true texan drives a chevy pick up like me.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yao and Tmac man. Miss them so much.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He's real.
    That makes him Texan

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's so cool.

Will Le$ ever say that.

11. craguin

craguin Member

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Le$ would drop the word Houston from the name of the team

13. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Just when I think I can't love the guy anymore, he goes and says this. God bless Yao Ming, a true Texan.

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

I want a Yao statue at Toyota Center!

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Give me $60,000 so I can afford a new Silverado with the 5.3 liter.....

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been travelling, actually in China, and have been out of touch with the news. I saw this reported on in Chinese news but it wasn't that big news as the G20 was pretty much overshadowing everything with the round the clock coverage.

A very well deserved honor for a player who helped to bridge two cultures and am very proud to hear Yao say he's a Texan and a Houston Rocket for life. On a personal note as a young kid growing up in Houston I remember being told that Asians would never play in the NBA. I'm so glad that Yao Ming changed that perception for ever and did it in my hometown.

My best Yao memory will be him laughing it up with Ron Artest after wrapping up the 2009 playoff series. It was so great to see the joy on his face after so coming up short so many times before. The image of him laughing would go on to become a great internet meme. Just wished we could've won a Championship with him. It especially would've been great to see him do so with that 2009 team. My third favorite team after the championship teams and one that had so much heart, smarts and clearly loved playing with each other.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aZtxQkay0ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This would be the icing on the cake! Would love to see this

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Nice sentiment about a statue. But I love the fact we only have one. Need that title for statue

Maybe a statue inside the arena is a compromise

19. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

Me dos. Big part of our team history.

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Congrats to Yao and his family! He was a fantastic player and is well deserving of being enshrined into the hall of fame!!!
    I wish we could've had him just a little longer, 9yrs wasn't nearly enough!!! I wish him well with the Shanghai Sharks!

<iframe width="1241" height="698" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T0Ve5j7w26I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Somebody had to post this! :grin:

1 person likes this.